• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

A Plea For Integrity In Cycling Journalism in 2010

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
theswordsman said:
That's the title. Maybe I should have pleaded for integrity in titles. The one on the Juliet Macur New Year's story had changed when I clicked a week ago. Another journalist explained to me that the titles aren't always written by the writer (or apparently anyone who understood the story). But some people don't get past titles, and I'm pretty sure Lance is still talking about winning for himself.

http://sports.inquirer.net/breaking...ong-to-sacrifice-Tour-record-for-cycling-team

Just a poorly written article, but it is achieving its goals: (1) paint AC as angry/frustrated/impatient child vs the calm/reasoned/practical JB/LA; (2) rewrite the history of the TdF; (3) continue building the hype of a LA/AC battle royale (never once noting the considerable GAP between LA/AC last year).

This is just the beginning. I'm sure by the time June rolls around, almost every English-speaking/writing journalist will have Lance and Radio Shack tipped as the favorite going into the TdF.

Love it. A lot of research went into this article: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...strongs-years-of-dominance-20100116-mde8.html

- Can you believe people still quote Coyle? and those extra long thigh bones ensure you don't need to reach for the syringe of EPO.

-----

This extraordinary level of endurance power is complemented by the fact that Armstrong has an unusually long thigh bone for his height, allowing more leverage in his leg thrusts, and the even more unusual fact that, through almost maniacal training, he was able to transform his muscles from 60 per cent slow twitch fibre (the type of muscle fibre that doesn't burn out quickly) to 80 per cent. These factors combine to present a basic scientific model of why the Texan Tour de France legend became widely regarded as the greatest ever cyclist.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Saw that too Hog - too bad you can't comment on the way the Coyle stuiff has been comprehensively demolished. Still, they've shelled out so much for him I suppose they have to talk him up as being something special physically - the elephant in the room must not be mentioned :rolleyes:

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Love it. A lot of research went into this article: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling...strongs-years-of-dominance-20100116-mde8.html

- Can you believe people still quote Coyle? and those extra long thigh bones ensure you don't need to reach for the syringe of EPO.

-----

This extraordinary level of endurance power is complemented by the fact that Armstrong has an unusually long thigh bone for his height, allowing more leverage in his leg thrusts, and the even more unusual fact that, through almost maniacal training, he was able to transform his muscles from 60 per cent slow twitch fibre (the type of muscle fibre that doesn't burn out quickly) to 80 per cent. These factors combine to present a basic scientific model of why the Texan Tour de France legend became widely regarded as the greatest ever cyclist.

For all the chamois-sniffers who love the fact he has been paid $1m to go down there, why are there no credible journalists doing any digging and reporting to under mine him? I mean, there must be some political opposition to using taxpayers money to buy an appearance, why are the politically outlying journalists not stepping up to the plate and dropping some knowledge on the people?

I mean Ashenden is an Australian isn't he? I am sure he is thrilled his tax dollars are going on the King of the Lie. It would take a few days of solid researching to come up with a strong journalistic case (as most 'fact' based reporting is opinion nowadays anyway so nobody would notice...) as to why it is a load of B.S, I mean isn't that the point of the press? as one of the mechanisms to hold the executive to account?

I am not even talking about just cycling and Lance now, I mean in general, surely there are some papers in Aus that are not in favour of the government, they could have used paying a doper to stir some large political grievances...

Big GMaC said:
For all the chamois-sniffers who love the fact he has been paid $1m to go down there, why are there no credible journalists doing any digging and reporting to under mine him? I mean, there must be some political opposition to using taxpayers money to buy an appearance, why are the politically outlying journalists not stepping up to the plate and dropping some knowledge on the people?

I mean Ashenden is an Australian isn't he? I am sure he is thrilled his tax dollars are going on the King of the Lie. It would take a few days of solid researching to come up with a strong journalistic case (as most 'fact' based reporting is opinion nowadays anyway so nobody would notice...) as to why it is a load of B.S, I mean isn't that the point of the press? as one of the mechanisms to hold the executive to account?

I am not even talking about just cycling and Lance now, I mean in general, surely there are some papers in Aus that are not in favour of the government, they could have used paying a doper to stir some large political grievances...

No one would print it in the mainstream media. The myth is too strong, it would be dismissed by readers as scandalous falsifications written simply to sell papers.

You don't talk about doping at all in Australia. Even when someone tests positive, they are always made out to be a victim.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
thehog said:

-----

My favorite was the last line in the article "But science alone does not win races." Obviously he has not ever visited The Clinic.:p

This one was good.

"What the majority of pundits do say about him is that in societies such as ours and America’s, we give the person the benefit of the doubt, and one is innocent till proven guilty.

Should Lance be any different, simply because he won seven Tours in a row and in doing so, ****ed off a bunch of Froggies who have failed to produce a winner since Bernard Hinault in 1985?

I don’t think so. And are the people who continue to chase him, who continue to dig up dirt but come up with nothing but soil and sore hands, in a position to judge, simply because they’re a journalist from so-and-so and lots of people read what they write?"

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/blog-article/115672/Love-him-or-loathe-him-br

I haven't read one piece in Aus which was anything less than complementary to Lance. Yet people continue to report as though there's an epidemic of people in the media trying to "take him down". It almost seems as though these sort of comments are directed towards public comments on articles and forum comments. Yet of course a journalist with the integrity of Tomalaris et al. would never stoop to such a level as discussing it with them as it's a bit easier to have your argument torn apart.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
On the sbs cycling central site, an article was written up that lance's performance was impressive as hendo's win. We also have two main blogs telling us how good lance is and that he is "an ambassador for the human race"! Give me a bucket!

What a load of bullshyte. Surely cycling central can report on the actual racing more than just lance.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
This Mike Turtur quote amused me.

“To have quality sprinters here, I’m happy,” he said. “To have the rainbow jersey and the big Grand Tour riders here like Alejandro Valverde and Oscar Pereiro, that’s just a bonus. We’re very happy.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/turtur-tdu-will-remain-sprinters-race

Cute omission, presumably by Turtur and faithfully reported (with great integrity :cool:) by Greg Johnson. Nice work.

A

Anonymous

Here's the first positive sign

You've probably seen in other threads the tale of the Tour Time Trial wheels. I circulated the wonderfully detailed Marca story on twitter, sending the link to sites like Velonews and Cycling Weekly. My only response was from someone with a locked account and no followers and following no one. He accused me of being obsessed, and suggesting that perhaps my state unemployment office might like to know how much time I spend working on the topic. It was a hollow threat, but imagine someone trying to intimidate an individual for wanting to share an article link with the general public.

One publication has stepped up and had the brass to tell the wheel story in English. It's well-written, accurate and in my opinion, unbiased. The most important thing is, it exists. I made a plea for integrity last year, and here is the first shining example of it. Why won't others tell the story? I hope that they will.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2...Spanish-writer-contradicts-recent-claims.aspx

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
You've probably seen in other threads the tale of the Tour Time Trial wheels. I circulated the wonderfully detailed Marca story on twitter, sending the link to sites like Velonews and Cycling Weekly. My only response was from someone with a locked account and no followers and following no one. He accused me of being obsessed, and suggesting that perhaps my state unemployment office might like to know how much time I spend working on the topic. It was a hollow threat, but imagine someone trying to intimidate an individual for wanting to share an article link with the general public.

One publication has stepped up and had the brass to tell the wheel story in English. It's well-written, accurate and in my opinion, unbiased. The most important thing is, it exists. I made a plea for integrity last year, and here is the first shining example of it. Why won't others tell the story? I hope that they will.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2...Spanish-writer-contradicts-recent-claims.aspx

So tell us, who called you obsessed?

Good Article

You know, as fishy as the Armstrong/Bruyneel side of the story sounds, there are parts of the Garai/Contador story that seem strange as well.

How could a mechanic test wheel stiffness without special equipment? The wheels were described as 30% stiffer.

Second, can anyone clarify if this is the Bontrager logo that the Trek mechanic applied? It sure looks like a custom decal for Contador. But the story says:

"The following morning, the Lightweight-branded wheel was given to the Trek mechanic for him to put Bontrager [Trek’s own wheel brand] transfers on them."

dv543604_600.jpg

Finally, concerning this 150 g special wheel that only Armstrong had, procured by Trek from an unnamed manufacturer...

How did a mechanic checking bikes the morning before the TT have this special wheel delivered by dinner time? Are these things kept in stock at the local bicycle shop and available only for his holiness, L.A.?

I'm not trying to kill this version of the story, but I'm pretty sure that Garai or the mechanic telling the story, took some liberties with the timeline of events and/or wheel specs.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Willy_Voet said:
You know, as fishy as the Armstrong/Bruyneel side of the story sounds, there are parts of the Garai/Contador story that seem strange as well.

How could a mechanic test wheel stiffness without special equipment? The wheels were described as 30% stiffer.

Second, can anyone clarify if this is the Bontrager logo that the Trek mechanic applied? It sure looks like a custom decal for Contador. But the story says:

"The following morning, the Lightweight-branded wheel was given to the Trek mechanic for him to put Bontrager [Trek’s own wheel brand] transfers on them."

dv543604_600.jpg

Finally, concerning this 150 g special wheel that only Armstrong had, procured by Trek from an unnamed manufacturer...

How did a mechanic checking bikes the morning before the TT have this special wheel delivered by dinner time? Are these things kept in stock at the local bicycle shop and available only for his holiness, L.A.?

I'm not trying to kill this version of the story, but I'm pretty sure that Garai or the mechanic telling the story, took some liberties with the timeline of events and/or wheel specs.

I agree, some of the "facts" in this article don't match up. Those wheels must of been custom made for contador especially with the contador printed on them. Getting the trek wheels to Monaco by dinner time was a little odd on ho they got their so soon.

This story is so confusing!!!!

Willy_Voet said:

dv543604_600.jpg

(1) He may have learned of the stiffiness and other characteristics when he contact Lightweight to obtain the new wheels.

(2) I believe Lightweight is a German company, it's not impossible to get an item delivered by air courier same day (at least not in my experience).

(3) With respect to the decals, my guess is that Trek had already made them up to apply to the other Lightweight Wheels they had previously bought for AC and just applied those to the new wheels.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A month or 2 after the Tour in the VeloNews print edition Andrew Hood did a story on Contador. He wrote abt AC's team among other things. Mentioned Fran, the mechanic and then said AC's PR guy was a Spanish sportswriter. Anyone know who this sportswriter is? Or what paper he wrote for?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
(1) He may have learned of the stiffiness and other characteristics when he contact Lightweight to obtain the new wheels.

(2) I believe Lightweight is a German company, it's not impossible to get an item delivered by air courier same day (at least not in my experience).

(3) With respect to the decals, my guess is that Trek had already made them up to apply to the other Lightweight Wheels they had previously bought for AC and just applied those to the new wheels.

This is correct. The 30% figure came from the manufacture, Carbonsports. The wheels have a modified carbon layup that results in a lighter, stiffer, wheel. Rebadging is common and not a big deal.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
You've probably seen in other....Tour Time Trial wheels....wonderfully detailed Marca story....sending the link to sites like Velonews and Cycling Weekly....

One publication has stepped up...the wheel story in English. It's well-written,...it exists....plea for integrity...first shining example...Why won't others tell the story? I hope that they will.

I share in your plea for the truth on this matter. I put the question to the forum many months ago....maybe you found inspiration in that post? I hope so:)
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=4734

But anyway, it seems to me that Alberto took issue WITH HAVING TO PAY for the famously made wheelset. Alberto had no issues with the weight of the wheels nor the rolling resistance of the bearings. He did not complain about decal placement nor aerodynamic drag. No complaints there I recall.
He did not complain that Lances wheels had butterflies.

He only complained that he had to PAY USING HIS OWN MONEY.
That article you linked starts out on the right track...the topic sentence is on the money...but then it drifts away:(

Geez loueez - There is an easy way to get to the bottom of this.
Maybe Alberto can show us the receipt lol?

ps.....you should learn how to read and understand Spanish. The interwebs are full of cycling stories and coverage that are fair and balanced.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
I share in your plea for the truth on this matter. I put the question to the forum many months ago....maybe you found inspiration in that post? I hope so:)

But anyway, it seems to me that Alberto took issue WITH HAVING TO PAY for the famously made wheelset. Alberto had no issues with the weight of the wheels nor the rolling resistance of the bearings. He did not complain about decal placement nor aerodynamic drag. No complaints there I recall.

That article you linked starts out on the right track...the topic sentence is on the money...but then it drifts away:(

ps.....you should learn how to read and understand Spanish. The interwebs are full of cycling stories and coverage that are fair and balanced.

It appears there is plenty for Contador to be ****ed about.

Contador was told that he would get the same wheels as Armstrong, this was a lie. Armstrong got the lighter, stiffer, wheels with ceramic bearings.

Of course this makes sense as Armstrong is older and slower and needs all the help he can get.

Polish said:

I think you are over simplifying to imply that Contador is being petty. He wasn't. He was made aware that what were being passed off as identical wheels were in fact different wheels. Instead of taking the issue to Bruyneel, he simply purchased his own to insure that he had the best wheel. In essence he cut out the middle men (Bruyneel and Trek) since it was obvious that they were being less than truthful with him.

In short the issue was not money, it was as clear a demonstration as possible that he while Bruyneel dubbed him the team leader it was in name only. All of the best equipment was once again set aside for the "Boss."

Willy_Voet said:

dv543604_600.jpg

I guess you need to read "carefully" the article-so you wouldn't try to "kill" the version:

It happened the day before the start of the Tour, Astana mechanics when they rode bicycles that they would be used in the time trial in Monaco. At one point, the mechanical counter realized that there were two different rear disc wheels to rest. He thought they were, as might seem logical, Alberto and Lance, but Trek's mechanic said no, they were for Armstrong, but not to worry because they were like the rest and only changed the labeling. Without wanting to discuss, the Spanish mechanic took a scale and weighed the wheels of one and the other, showing his partner the mistake that had since the new weighing about 150 grams lighter than the others. "One for Lance and another to Albert, "he said, to which the other replied:" I have to check with Armstrong. "

Anyone get a kick out of Cyclingnews headline that said that Armstrong was adjusting his race schedule to avoid Contador and Wiggins. Contador I can see, but Wiggins?? Really? Wiggins?? Wiggins showed even less ability than Armstrong to attack in the mountains.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I always thought is was the journalists duty to report the facts objectively and let the readers come up with their own conclusions. Maybe this is the old school of thought.
I can read and think for myself and if I want further information, I know how to research.

hfer07 said:
I guess you need to read "carefully" the article-so you wouldn't try to "kill" the version:

It happened the day before the start of the Tour, Astana mechanics when they rode bicycles that they would be used in the time trial in Monaco. At one point, the mechanical counter realized that there were two different rear disc wheels to rest. He thought they were, as might seem logical, Alberto and Lance, but Trek's mechanic said no, they were for Armstrong, but not to worry because they were like the rest and only changed the labeling. Without wanting to discuss, the Spanish mechanic took a scale and weighed the wheels of one and the other, showing his partner the mistake that had since the new weighing about 150 grams lighter than the others. "One for Lance and another to Albert, "he said, to which the other replied:" I have to check with Armstrong. "

I see your bold (and underline and size change) and raise you one font change and some pretty pink text!

A

Anonymous

I really am struggling to find sources of news about pro cycling that I can trust. Part of the wheel gate thing is simple logic. Contador told La Gazzetta dello Sport that it happened. The stories about the Tour de France in the Spanish media made Armstrong look like, well, like Armstrong. So he invited a reporter to sunny California, to a celebrity neighborhood (the reporter gushed about it at the start of the printed interview). He said a lot of nonsense. Like if he were Alberto, he would have done anything to keep his teammates, how generous he was with them, then bragged about how many million dollars he got for each Tour win. (In real life, Contador wanted to leave Astana and wasn't definitely on the team until December. The President of Kazakhstan announced before the Tour that they wanted to build a team without Armstrong and Bruyneel, composed of Spanish and Kazakh riders, and centered around Contador. You'll notice that even though other top riders had 2010 contracts, the only one besides Alberto they fought to keep was Zubeldia.)

Anyway, Lance said all sorts of things, but he tried to include one thing that sounded like a fact to make the rest sound plausible - he said that Contador didn't buy his own time trial wheel, it was nonsense, and said that people could call Trek for the truth. Apparently know one did, and I think it was bravado that made him say it. Bruyneel told the press that all riders had the same materials, especially the leaders (I don't know how the especially works), and that he didn't know where Alberto got the idea. That was enough confirmation for lazy journos - Contador and the Spanish press were branded liars, don't believe anything they said about team cars or anything else.

But now Bruyneel has said that Contador DID buy a rear Time Trial wheel as he had said. He wants us to believe that Alberto's personal mechanic, a thirty year veteran, got confused by wheel colors). You can read a bit about Munoz at the Tour here:
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/pro-bike-alberto-contadors-astana-trek-series-6-madone-22518

1. Contador says he bought the wheel.
2. Bruyneel says Contador bought the wheel.
3. Lance says Contador made the whole thing up & is a liar.

No matter what your leanings, Armstrong & Bruyneel say the exact opposite and can't both be right.

When the Bruyneel interview came out, I sent the link to a number of journos on twitter. Velonation published the interview without judgment. A writer for Pez sent me a condescending tweet saying it doesn't really "prove" anything. I haven't seen the story anywhere else.

This morning I continued my quest to find an honest man. I sent the general story and links to El Pais and AS.com, suggesting all of Spanish media who wrote about the Tour were called liars, and might want to stand together. I sent the same to Le Monde and L'Equipe, but those have to work their way through channels, so I dunno.

Since the exclusive interview that was quoted around the world started in Telegraaf and Nieuwsblad, I suggested they might want to clean up the mess they helped make. I contacted the Telegraaf Sports Editor through their internal system, and e-mailed the Sports Editor and all three cycling reporters at Nieuwsblad. See if that story appears anywhere. I'm going to ignore all things cycling for at least a week. And if the person who tried to intimidate me into shutting up on twitter reads this, it all, including this, took up less than an hour of my day. Threatening to report me to the state unemployment agency for reading news and sending 140 character tweets is a bit lame.