• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

A Theory

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
krebs303 said:
ScottSoCal wrote a book too. "When Beer Hits Your Brain". It turned him into a Babes on Bikes genius.

And here is where it all started.

I_Hope_They_Serve_Beer_In_Hell-119188343030470.jpg
 

Nalgas Hombre

BANNED
Dec 25, 2009
33
0
0
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Your imagination doesn't count as a medical journal.

Well you are correct. But I am actually referring to Rex and Phantom, who have both brought up some interesting theories about Lance and his improvements. Also about Alberto as a result of his brain surgery.
 

Nalgas Hombre

BANNED
Dec 25, 2009
33
0
0
Visit site
I believe that there have been studies that suggest cognition is the strongest asset of an elite athlete, and experience at winning is worth a great deal. I also think there is evidence to suggest that such chages result in actual physical changes within the development of the frontal lobe.

Brain surgery, which Lance and Alberto have both undergone, would also lead to possible changes in personality. This is a known fact. It is not a great leap that such changes could include single minded focus and an ability to push through certain types of pain.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Visit site
Nalgas Hombre said:
I believe that there have been studies that suggest cognition is the strongest asset of an elite athlete, and experience at winning is worth a great deal. I also think there is evidence to suggest that such chages result in actual physical changes within the development of the frontal lobe.

Brain surgery, which Lance and Alberto have both undergone, would also lead to possible changes in personality. This is a known fact. It is not a great leap that such changes could include single minded focus and an ability to push through certain types of pain.
I "believe" your "possible" "known Facts" "could" be baseless opinions.
 
Mar 17, 2009
157
0
0
Visit site
Nalgas Hombre said:
I believe that there have been studies that suggest cognition is the strongest asset of an elite athlete, and experience at winning is worth a great deal. I also think there is evidence to suggest that such chages result in actual physical changes within the development of the frontal lobe.

Brain surgery, which Lance and Alberto have both undergone, would also lead to possible changes in personality. This is a known fact. It is not a great leap that such changes could include single minded focus and an ability to push through certain types of pain.

This is totally silly.

First, do you even know what cognition means? It means literally "to know" or how we process knowledge. It has to do with things like planning the right groceries you need for dinner. It has nothing to do with mental focus or athletic performance.

Second, while you are correct that some neurosurgery can lead to personality changes, these are specific to frontal lobe changes. The frontal lobe takes care of executive planning functions as well as social filtering of behavior. People who have frontal lobe disease or damage may make inappropriate social comments or behave strangely because they have lost the ability to recognize social convention and act accordingly. They do NOT become highly focused elite athletes.

In summary, this theory is not true.

Disclaimer #1: I am a Lance fan.
Disclaimer #2: I am an MD, but not a neurosurgeon.
 

Oncearunner8

BANNED
Dec 10, 2009
312
0
0
Visit site
Nalgas Hombre said:
I believe that there have been studies that suggest cognition is the strongest asset of an elite athlete, and experience at winning is worth a great deal. I also think there is evidence to suggest that such chages result in actual physical changes within the development of the frontal lobe.

Brain surgery, which Lance and Alberto have both undergone, would also lead to possible changes in personality. This is a known fact. It is not a great leap that such changes could include single minded focus and an ability to push through certain types of pain.

I was going to call BS but your a "doctor" so I will just let you play it out!

Good luck!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Ok.. so the original posters theory was a bit daft... but why do you guys have to go with the pack mentality and try to bully him, take the p155 out of him, and accuse him of being a troll...

saying something stupid does not make you a troll, but some of the so called responsible peoples posts on here have bordered on trolling..

theres definately a bit of *** clique forming around here.. im sure if one of them had started the thread everyone would have found it hilarious.. guess phantom menace is paying the price for not being in the popular boys group.. :confused:

if you dont agree with the posters pov then say, so, and leave the thread.. the constant fail signs and bullying are childish to be honest.. (and also a sad alternative to replying for those who clearly dont have the mental capacity for it.. its like smileys, you use them when you dont know what to say)
 

Rex Hunter

BANNED
Dec 18, 2009
187
0
0
Visit site
dimspace said:
Ok.. so the original posters theory was a bit daft... but why do you guys have to go with the pack mentality and try to bully him, take the p155 out of him, and accuse him of being a troll...

saying something stupid does not make you a troll, but some of the so called responsible peoples posts on here have bordered on trolling..

theres definately a bit of *** clique forming around here.. im sure if one of them had started the thread everyone would have found it hilarious.. guess phantom menace is paying the price for not being in the popular boys group.. :confused:

if you dont agree with the posters pov then say, so, and leave the thread.. the constant fail signs and bullying are childish to be honest.. (and also a sad alternative to replying for those who clearly dont have the mental capacity for it.. its like smileys, you use them when you dont know what to say)

Brave post.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Rex Hunter said:
Brave post.

not really.. i dont think its much of a secret that there are a handful of people round here who like bullying others, but dont offer too much themselves..

the original theory is clearly a little off tangent, but i dont think he deserves the pack bullying thats going on in places..
 
dimspace said:
Ok.. so the original posters theory was a bit daft... but why do you guys have to go with the pack mentality and try to bully him, take the p155 out of him, and accuse him of being a troll...

saying something stupid does not make you a troll, but some of the so called responsible peoples posts on here have bordered on trolling..

theres definately a bit of *** clique forming around here.. im sure if one of them had started the thread everyone would have found it hilarious.. guess phantom menace is paying the price for not being in the popular boys group.. :confused:

if you dont agree with the posters pov then say, so, and leave the thread.. the constant fail signs and bullying are childish to be honest.. (and also a sad alternative to replying for those who clearly dont have the mental capacity for it.. its like smileys, you use them when you dont know what to say)
The reason you are defending him is because you don't spend as much time in the Clinic as other posters do. Personally I have not replied to the OP myself until today. He has several personality and names, and I am getting tired of it. His main objective is not to create good arguments to discuss but to derail any attention and discussion on whatever is discussed about doping and especially about Lance Armstrong. So please we don't need anybody coming in here to defend him.

I did not have anything to say about the thread's topic but yet I found it stupid. But in other threads this guy just keeps going with stupid comments all the time and it is filling up the Clinic with garbage (you probably believe is already filled with garbage). I know you don't like the clinic as much as others so you don't have to come here. Nobody is forcing you. I personally have learned so much that I can go as ask couple of my friends (who are doctors) about some topics from this forum. It is really nice. So I really don't want the Clinic to go to a total lost just because of one lone lunatic.:mad:
 
Escarabajo said:
The reason you are defending him is because you don't spend as much time in the Clinic as other posters do. Personally I have not replied to the OP myself until today. He has several personality and names, and I am getting tired of it. His main objective is not to create good arguments to discuss but to derail any attention and discussion on whatever is discussed about doping and especially about Lance Armstrong. So please we don't need anybody coming in here to defend him.

I did not have anything to say about the thread's topic but yet I found it stupid. But in other threads this guy just keeps going with stupid comments all the time and it is filling up the Clinic with garbage (you probably believe is already filled with garbage). I know you don't like the clinic as much as others so you don't have to come here. Nobody is forcing you. I personally have learned so much that I can go as ask my friends (who are doctors) about some topics from this forum. It is really nice. So I really don't want the Clinic to go to a total lost just because of one lone lunatic.:mad:

They need to crack down on IP addresses instead of just banning the user. User bans are useless for the trolls with mental issues. One of them spent his Christmas eve trolling the forum. That means he was likely at home or stuck at work. Start IP banning his locations and the problem will go away.

The funny thing is that my main IP address is banned from way back during the beginning of the forum, and I have not been able to get that lifted. Finally, after many tries, I gave up, deciding that the people at CN must be asleep at the switch.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
dimspace said:
not really.. i dont think its much of a secret that there are a handful of people round here who like bullying others, but dont offer too much themselves..

the original theory is clearly a little off tangent, but i dont think he deserves the pack bullying thats going on in places..

Dim, If I have been rude to you I apologize. It was not my intent

I can see how it may appear this way if you only occasionally read a clinic thread. The reality there is one person, using multiple user names, who causes much of the chaos. It is intentional. It is his goal to promote a negative discussion, derail the thread, and cause conflict. He continues to get banned, only to show up with another username a few days later with the same garbage.
 
BroDeal said:
They need to crack down on IP addresses instead of just banning the user. User bans are useless for the trolls with mental issues. One of them spent his Christmas eve trolling the forum. That means he was likely at home or stuck at work. Start IP banning his locations and the problem will go away.

The funny thing is that my main IP address is banned from way back during the beginning of the forum, and I have not been able to get that lifted. Finally, after many tries, I gave up, deciding that the people at CN must be asleep at the switch.

I'm not sure why someone gets banned, then allowed to come back just because the register a new profile.

It's very easy to use IP, Username, E-mail and Posting style to determine that a certain profile is created by the same individual as a previously banned one, thus they should just go ahead and continue the ban on the new profile.

Even if people use proxies, the use of proxies become the common link and make it equally obvious. I don't think this person is crazy enough to start making 50 accounts a day so all it takes is 30 seconds for every account they make. It's quicker to ban an account than it is for them to find a new proxy and make a new e-mail address in order to circumvent a ban.
 
Ferminal said:
I'm not sure why someone gets banned, then allowed to come back just because the register a new profile.

I suspect that the moderators only have the ability to ban a user and only the admin has the ability to ban an IP. The admin himself is probably either swamped with work or forum management is not a priority. The fact that I was never able to resolve my issue leads me to believe that CN from the beginning never had a game plan for forum management and has not given much thought about it since. Maybe I should try to get my problem resolved again to see if the situation has changed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS