• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFL Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Oh my... This must be the craziest, wildest, bloodiest game on earth. Flying bodies everywhere, brutal collisions... and some of the injured/concussed even head back into the game (like the one team-mate Franklin took out) :eek: And I thought I saw it all in approx 1.000 NFL games I witnessed...

Just watched the rest of the game I missed between Swans and ESS (in replay; great AFL-pass option for guys who fall asleep on the other side of the earth ;) ). In no way was I ever thinking they (Swans) could come back. Already thought I picked the wrong team to follow closely trou-out the season. 40+ points down with just over one Qtr left. No way... And then, wow, they did it. I would not believe it, if I didn´t just saw it, not after that "no showing up" for 2 1/2 quarters. I am amazed.

OK, need more of this now. :) Even looking forward the StKilda-GWS game...

Great to see someone so enthusiastic about the AFL game.

I can't believe that Essendon lost that game. They just ground to a screeching halt and the Swans overtook them to win.

My game is on Monday when the mighty cats take on the hawks.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Still can´t believe either. Ess played the last Qtr like the Swans played the first... well, Ess even "topped" it ;) ... while Swans scored at least one point in their lame Qtr, Ess bettered them with scoring zero points. Did that ever happen in the lets say last 20 years? I mean ZERO :eek: ... in a game that averages 180 points.

Biggest 4th Otr comebacks since 1999 (inclusive finals):*
40 NM-Syd 2004
40 WB-Ade 1999
38 Bri-Gee 2013
36 WC-Gee 2006
34 Syd-Ess 2015
33 Bri-PA 2008

* I knew instantly this Swans comeback must have been something extraordinary (too bad I felt asleep after "giving up" on the Swans, thus "only" saw the last 1 1/2 qtrs in replay), so I decided to waste some time ;) and did dig deeper into the numbers. It was a hell lot of work, so I couldnt go further back than 1999

It's good that Footy's back !

Saints vs Giants wasn't a bad game either, despite the poor skills. Pleased for the Giants win.

After yet another few signings this year they should finish around 12th-15th.

Next week Vs Melbourne should be interesting.

Bulldogs start the season with a win!!

I'm happy!

Very happy to see freo win too, hard fought, low-skilled game, but it had real intensity which made it worth watching. If they can get their skills right I think freo will do ok this year, a lot are writing them off, but I think they will still do some damage in September, especially if they add a few more goals per game.

Fyfe is a freak, I'm no longer surprised when he does anything spectacular.

Who you on board with foxxy?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

the asian said:
It's good that Footy's back !

Saints vs Giants wasn't a bad game either, despite the poor skills. Pleased for the Giants win.

After yet another few signings this year they should finish around 12th-15th.

Next week Vs Melbourne should be interesting.

Yes, StK-GWS was good too. But I just made it to halftime before falling asleep again. Too bad...
Then I wanted to watch Freo in replay, but I couldnt resist to lurk for the final score before. Another mistake... It´s not good to see a thrilling game knowing the outcome.
Anyway, must have been one of the best opening weeks in years. 3 upsets, only 2 true blow-outs...
I remember the NM coach saying before the new season started: "This will be the most competitive season in AFL history...". Seems I joined in the right moment. :) Very satisfied with the first week. Looking forward week two. I "only" have to change my bio-rhythm to be fully awake for live footage. ;)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
leftover pie said:
Bulldogs start the season with a win!!

I'm happy!

Very happy to see freo win too, hard fought, low-skilled game, but it had real intensity which made it worth watching. If they can get their skills right I think freo will do ok this year, a lot are writing them off, but I think they will still do some damage in September, especially if they add a few more goals per game.

Fyfe is a freak, I'm no longer surprised when he does anything spectacular.

Who you on board with foxxy?

Dont be lazy "leftover". Read the last page of the thread. ;)
I go with Freo, Swans, and a 3rd team I still havn´t decided yet. But it looks like Melbourne. I liked Lumumba and the way they upset GC. 3 (full & live) games per week is my aim. Will be hard, given the time difference...

Re: Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Anyway, must have been one of the best opening weeks in years. 3 upsets, only 2 true blow-outs...
I remember the NM coach saying before the new season started: "This will be the most competitive season in AFL history...". Seems I joined in the right moment. :)

it's going to make tipping tough this year, lots of teams on the up, some that used to be bankable will lose a few we wouldn't think they would normally lose.

though I did get 7 from 9 for the first week so that is a good start for me.

join up foxxxy: http://www.footytips.com.au

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Wouldn´t that be too late (joining) to win something?
And since I didn´t had the stamina (or will :eek: ) to finish the NFL tipping last season, I think I stay here... a nice little thread for rookie me. :)
Either way, I am eager to know if rookie me will have bet at least 10 teams right in the season over/under (see last page). 10 picks right would mean beating the bookies...
BTW, really dislike the Hawthorn Hawks. At least since the GF trashing of the Swans, but may even as early (in subconscious ;) ) as I saw the GF-1989 docu last summer, which introduced me to the AFL for good (I just liked the unique Ablett story more)... And since I found out they are serial winners (like the 49ers in the 80s, who I really disliked because of that), I hope they fail. Any team but the Hawks please.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Wanted to watch GWS-Mel... but Rich-WB started a little earlier, so I lurked in there... And then I sticked with that good game. The underdog leads by 14 at the half, could have been even more if the goal instead of the behind was given in replay-review; and the fumble & one miss-communication didn´t happen with all but open field... Hope WB stays ahead until the end, so the missed chances don´t bite them.

Edit: Ok... 3rd Qtr ended... Game in the pocket. :) I mean 29 points comeback by Rich? No way, not two weeks in a row we´ll monster comebacks (like Swans last week).
So WB are 2-0... who would have thought?
Moving to my original scheduled ;) game now... after it seemed a Mel blow-out, GWS cut it down. We have a game there all of a sudden :)

Edit II: Wow! 10 goals in a row by GWS... From being blown out, with bets being suspended in the 2nd Qtr (IOW: No one gave a coin on the Giants anymore)... to blow-out winning :eek: , leading by 26 at end of 3rd. Watta turnaround. I am amazed.

Edit III: Finally... After 14 (!!!) goals in a row ("unanswered goals"), Mel chose to kick one again deep into the 4th Qtr...
Someone knows the record?

Edit IV: Wow, what a goal by Eddie Betts just now (1.Q Ade-Game)... and I thought Devon Smith´s goal in the GWS game (3rd Qtr) was the goal kick of the day.

This game is awesome. Heavy Metal meets Opera: Hard hitting brutal collisions, and the same time high art poetry in motion. Still wonder how the players kick unreal "curveballs" accurate between the goalposts, can tip the ball on the ground running full speed without losing it, jump on each other and still managing to catch balls, and shooting towering kicks of 60+ meters. Amazing.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So Essendon to blow a 35+ lead for two weeks in a row? :eek: Hope not, even though I fear the Hawks will prevail :eek: ... should be a intense 4th Qtr

BTW, great wins by Freo & Swans... saw them both dominate. Looks good :)

Edit: YES !!! :) Watta thriller. I am sorry for all those who missed it. The siren came one second too early for the Hawks :p
The best game I saw so far... and I didn´t want to watch it first hand, just turned in at the 3rd Qtr when the huge upset was in the air, then Ess almost blew it, they looked dead midway the 4th, but they didnt. Love it!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
"might have to book my GF ticket"

So you are big WB fan? Since when? Must be harder & more suffering than being a StK fan... At least them don´t wait since more than half a hundred years for a premiership. Their 50th anniversary is only next season.
See, I took the easy way: Picking two winners, at least one having a great chance to win it all. ;) :D

Kidding aside: Did you see the Bombers-Hawks thriller? The best game I ever saw (ok, that´s not hard to accomplish since it was only my circa 15th). And live as it happened. Especially sweet is the outcome. Only "theAsian" may sees it different. ;)

... Yes Fyfe even impressed my "rookie" eyes. While the "most football name ever" had two relative quiet games.
Hayden Ballantyne... can´t get over it. What a name. Besides a great one for football, could easily be a expensive & rare Whiskey, or some 5-Star resort in the Seychelles.

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So you are big WB fan? Since when?

since 1981.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Must be harder & more suffering than being a StK fan...

yes. yes I know.

1997 :( 1998 :( 2008 :( 2009 :( 2010 :(

didn't see the bombers v hawks, good to see hawthorn drop one, will make the season a lot more interesting I think, same goes for port Adelaide, their 2 losses are really good news for Freo.

Couldn't watch the games in the weekend coz i was busy.

Yr Foxxy, I really hate this decent start from Essendon :mad: Hope they run out of steam as in the last few years.

Swans really are in rocking mode . but didn't expect Port to be 0-2 down. They were my tip for the premiership.

Also GC has to get it's act together soon. I wonder whether Eade is past it as a coach.

What do you think Leftover Pie?

He was your coach before.

Re:

the asian said:
Also GC has to get it's act together soon. I wonder whether Eade is past it as a coach.

I still think it was stupid of them to get rid of Guy McKenna [still the only Eagles player I've ever liked (because he used to play for Claremont back in the day)].

I'm not sure Eade will be good for them long-term (or much better than McKenna), he will know how to get a lot out of the current playing group, but not sure he'll be good at developing the club's playing list into the future - and how long it will take them to adjust to his style of play/coaching remains to be seen - but 2 losses in a row isn't a good start.

Eade got the Bulldogs to 3 preliminary finals, no further, that still haunts me, whether it was the coaching or the cattle that meant we couldn't get to the finals, who knows, a bit of both I think.

I think it was a bit short-sighted from the GC board and I bet they're packing their dacks that Eade isn't going to work out - because they would be thinking finals or bust this year. Very interesting to see how that all turns out.

I also think the Bulldogs were stupid to get rid of Brendan McCartney, but so far so good I suppose, Beveridge is 100% in his AFL coaching career!! Perfect record!

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Finally we are on the way for the first both-teams-triple-digit game of the year. Did it ever happen that late into a season?
Anyway, StK off to a good start. Still hold the lead after one quarter at 39-38... :)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Awesome. Week-in week-out I am amazed by this "curveball" kicks from unreal angles.

Too bad StK came to a scratching halt in the 2nd Qtr... Dont think they´ll come back, even though we had 4 games already with the losing/coming back team scoring at least seven unanswered goals!* So a miricale is still possible.

Rich vs Car (Week 1)
Syd vs Ess (Week 1)
Bri vs Coll (Week 1)
... and the unreal 14 in a row by GWS vs Mel (Week 2)

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Pretty cool start for the Swans. 27-12 after one Qtr.
Swans kick goals, GWS behinds. :D

Edit: BTW, didnt realized in first sight: Coll too came back (from 18 down in first Qtr in their win yesterday) kicking 7 unanswered... on their way to blow off StK

Edit II: It´s great to root for winners :cool: ... Franklin putting on a show, defense as solid as always, the rookie on the rise (Heeney), and some fantastic goals (especially the one from Parker, juuust kicking the ball while falling, short before HT)... IOW: Swans will blow-out GWS even if they go 50% power in the 2nd half.

Re:

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Pretty cool start for the Swans. 27-12 after one Qtr.
Swans kick goals, GWS behinds. :D

Edit: BTW, didnt realized in first sight: Coll too came back (from 18 down in first Qtr in their win yesterday) kicking 7 unanswered... on their way to blow off StK

Edit II: It´s great to root for winners :cool: ... Franklin putting on a show, defense as solid as always, the rookie on the rise (Heeney), and some fantastic goals (especially the one from Parker, juuust kicking the ball while falling, short before HT)... IOW: Swans will blow-out GWS even if they go 50% power in the 2nd half.

That was a good match and GWS kept the Swans honest until the end (no blow out :p ).

Now watching the roos vs power game which has started off at a frenetic pace with some big hits.
Also there was an interesting clash between Chapman and Yarran in the blues dons clash :eek: .

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Ok, may 50% is not enough to blow-out ;) ... still there was never a doubt (to me at least) the Swans will win, even in the time the Giants hit a little streak (4 goals in a row in the 3rd Qtr)... then I had to sleep a little, so only could watch the 4th Qtr of NM-PA... Too bad NM lost. They closed the gap only to still lose in the end. Would have been nice to see how/if PA would/could bounce back from a possible 0-3 start & facing the Hawks. Ouch!

And BL for the wooden spoon, not StK as many predicted, right? Good that I picked against their (BL) pre season line. I am running good so far. Proud rookie. :)

I couldn´t decide for a 3rd team to cheer for, so I will run weekly with the Swans & Freo games & a 3rd "game of the week" (to my liking that is) that involves a rather likeable team such as WB, Mel, StK, GWS, NM, or Ess (knowing the Asian is rooting for their opponent :D )...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

leftover pie said:
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
So you are big WB fan? Since when?

since 1981.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Must be harder & more suffering than being a StK fan...

yes. yes I know.

1997 :( 1998 :( 2008 :( 2009 :( 2010 :(

didn't see the bombers v hawks, good to see hawthorn drop one, will make the season a lot more interesting I think, same goes for port Adelaide, their 2 losses are really good news for Freo.

marcus bontempelli

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

leftover pie said:
the asian said:

I still think it was stupid of them to get rid of Guy McKenna [still the only Eagles player I've ever liked (because he used to play for Claremont back in the day)].

I'm not sure Eade will be good for them long-term (or much better than McKenna), he will know how to get a lot out of the current playing group, but not sure he'll be good at developing the club's playing list into the future - and how long it will take them to adjust to his style of play/coaching remains to be seen - but 2 losses in a row isn't a good start.

Eade got the Bulldogs to 3 preliminary finals, no further, that still haunts me, whether it was the coaching or the cattle that meant we couldn't get to the finals, who knows, a bit of both I think.

I think it was a bit short-sighted from the GC board and I bet they're packing their dacks that Eade isn't going to work out - because they would be thinking finals or bust this year. Very interesting to see how that all turns out.

I also think the Bulldogs were stupid to get rid of Brendan McCartney, but so far so good I suppose, Beveridge is 100% in his AFL coaching career!! Perfect record!

McKenna was given the boot because of Ablett, If he wanted Guy to stay, Guy McKenna is there.

But the GoldCoast culture, is not the best for a professional AFL team in 2015. I am not even referring to the rugby player who was busted for cocaine. By all reports, he was actually a good mentor to the younger players.

But some of their players, who would have been pushing for All Australian selection if they played at a team like Collingwood, are playing reserves for disciplinary issues/reasons.

I think they will manage to waste the talent they were benefited.