• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFL Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Have read a little about AFL history... :)
So, the Hawks are lucky to only be down 2 goals. PA dominating, but missing some kicks.
BTW, in the statistics, is a hitout scored to a player (who wins it) everytime the ump makes a "ball up"?

Yep. Big dumb ruckmen get credited a hitout with every "tap". Taps too advantage are Gold.. Taps too the opposition not so much.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Yep. Big dumb ruckmen get credited a hitout with every "tap". Taps too advantage are Gold.. Taps too the opposition not so much.

Does the "throw ins(?)" from the sideline by the umps also count as Hitouts? Thx...

thrawn said:
Hawks may well run away with this. Poor shooting has hurt Port.

I think the Hawks wouldn´t just run away with it. I guess (hope :)) the poor shooting by PA will regress to the mean.

Port got robbed.
Absolute travesty.

Though if they had kicked straight especially in the !st Quarter they would have won.

Holding the Ball decision in favour of Hodge in the last minute absolutely ridiculous.

Superb PF though. Just once again marred by poor umpiring.

Now hope the Swans tear the Hawks a new one in the Grand Final.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
the asian said:
Holding the Ball decision in favour of Hodge in the last minute absolutely ridiculous.

Superb PF though.

I was wondering too. Thought I just missed something in the rules since I am a newbie... But if you guys say it was a wrong call. Then it makes it bitter. Could have been one of the best 4th quarter comebacks ever... and that only in my 2nd live game. Therefore I got robbed too. :mad:
OTOH that makes it all easier for me to root for the Swans. I really liked the play of Franklin, Parker & Goodes.

the asian said:
Port got robbed.
Absolute travesty.

i hate complaining about umpires but with that you're bang on

that HTB called against them was bogus, should have been a ball up or even a free kick for push in the back, to top it off, exact same thing happened on the wing a minute later with a hawks player with the ball and there was no free kick.

really soured an amazing match, port have great things to look forward to, hawthorn played like they were entitled to win and were very lucky to get away with it.

i can't say it is a good look for them going into a match against sydney next week and I imagine the match would have taken a lot out of them, could come up empty next week.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Not yet, but watched the 2013-GF on youtube some 2/3 weeks ago. Was one of my first games I watched in full. Since then I like Fremantle...

Ha. Well your predicted scoreline was only a couple of points off what these 2 teams did in the GF 2 years ago.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Not yet, but watched the 2013-GF on youtube some 2/3 weeks ago. Was one of my first games I watched in full. Since then I like Fremantle...

i like freo too, heave ho !

2 sleeps til the GF, excitement is building, don't really know who I want to win just yet so will be cheering on the draw which, if it happens, means we get TWO grand finals!

Ah yes Foxxxy, just another thing about the grand old game of aussie rules that makes it a little different from just about everything else on the planet, if at the end of time in the Grand Final the teams are on level scores, they replay the whole match again the week after.

It's happened a couple of times in history, most recently in 2010 where Collingwood and St Kilda drew - 68 points a piece.

I was there that day, an amazing game, it if weren't for one crazy bounce of the ball right at the end St Kilda might have taken the victory, but no, a draw it was and then a week later Collingwood smashed them.

They also used to replay earlier finals if they were a draw, but in this day and age of a national competition with people booking tickets and flights in some cases a year in advance to go to the Grand Final they have now implemented extra-time in the finals leading up to the grand final.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I like that tie rule. If it´s not happening too often (which would be suspicious then), which is not, it´s great to have two finals possibility.

Did some "quick & dirty" stats just for fun:
In this season 23% of games ended with a final score margin of 0-19 points. Since in the GF there are two (more or less) equal strenght teams, our chance for a close game/thriller is at least 1/4. I like that (with Franklin kicking the deciding goal, assisted by Goodes :)).

About HFA:
Found this great site;
http://afltables.com/afl/afl_index.html
If I read it correctly, HFA is as stark as in the NFL, even though many "home" games are played in other areas or the same stadium as the opponent. :eek: Just checked a few random teams;
Adelaide 66% home win pct., 40 away
Brisbane 45/20
Collingwood 70/55
NMelbourne 50/39
Essendon 64/51

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Man am I confused now about the different australian time zones and schedules. I am still not used to it...

So may some of you can post the exact time (GMT, the time cyclingnews uses) of the game start? Not that I miss a quarter, or equally worse wake up too early in Germany, killing all my sleep. ;)

Thanks in advance... enjoy ya all the game :)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Man am I confused now about the different australian time zones and schedules. I am still not used to it...

So may some of you can post the exact time (GMT, the time cyclingnews uses) of the game start? Not that I miss a quarter, or equally worse wake up too early in Germany, killing all my sleep. ;)

Thanks in advance... enjoy ya all the game :)

The game starts at 5:30am in the UK, so it should be 6:30am in Germany.

TRENDING THREADS