• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

AFL Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

I dont know all the rules but its sport so i still watched it sometimes.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Comon Timmy, you must be kidding...

You love Aussie Football & Cycling, even put a great picture in your last post... and then come up with the WC. That can´t be real. The WC was sooo dirty and laughable that i havn´t watched a single soccer game since the Final between Netherlands and Spain.
Every second game was decided by the umpires (or by the Chinese Mafia, or by the Fifa itself; take whatever you want, you´ll hit the jackpot), rules are from 100 years ago, players pretend being injured all the time & shaving time. Every 3rd game is a tie. Games are dull, scoring is low and by pure chance.
What´s likeable about soccer? Nothing. And that says somebody (me :p) who played the game the whole youth (i didn´t knew all the other great ballgames back then).

I didn't think this last world cup was great either, and I agree that the refs were soo bad. I was p!ssed of on countless occasions. They ruined too many games.

But I also have played soccer almost my whole life, and I love it.
I love a 0-0 game, as long as the football on display is quality.

Like I said euro is probably a better quality tournament. Love it.

I rarely don't enjoy myself watching soccer. I very much enjoy the league from your homeland also :)

I dislike when people call soccer boring because of the low scores, there is a lot more to it that goals.

---
Regarding footy rules, once you understand them, the sport is more enjoyable it really is a quality sport, especially if you like the physical aspect in it.

@acf, i know, but nic is more inconsistent then a bad kick.
anyway I have seen such bad kicking across the AFL this year.
I feel more confident seeing a player on the run then with a set shot.

One of the highest goal kickers this year doesn't have a great record (in fact he has missed some shockers in recent weeks also).. and he plays for your team :p

But I agree that nic is probably one of the most talented AFL players, athletic wise.

greenedge said:
NRL rules. Mighty Knights. I go for ST Kilda and Swans in AFL though they are both sucking this year and i am not a big fan of it.

Awesome......Newcastle Knights in the NRL (Rugby League for those who don't know) and the Sydney Swans in the AFL (Aussie Rules football). Both aren't doing that bad...around 6th for both so far....

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
I didn't think this last world cup was great either, and I agree that the refs were soo bad. I was p!ssed of on countless occasions. They ruined too many games.

But I also have played soccer almost my whole life, and I love it.
I love a 0-0 game, as long as the football on display is quality.

Like I said euro is probably a better quality tournament. Love it.

I rarely don't enjoy myself watching soccer. I very much enjoy the league from your homeland also

I dislike when people call soccer boring because of the low scores, there is a lot more to it that goals.

---
Regarding footy rules, once you understand them, the sport is more enjoyable it really is a quality sport, especially if you like the physical aspect in it.

@acf, i know, but nic is more inconsistent then a bad kick.
anyway I have seen such bad kicking across the AFL this year.
I feel more confident seeing a player on the run then with a set shot.

One of the highest goal kickers this year doesn't have a great record (in fact he has missed some shockers in recent weeks also).. and he plays for your team

But I agree that nic is probably one of the most talented AFL players, athletic wise.

But you are born in Australia? I tought they don´t have too much soccer?! And i think pipo have the right to call it soccer. It´s the only game i know where men act like pu$$ies. Whining and crying all the time when actually nothing happened. ;) Cyclists step on the bike injured, real Ballplayers play besides being hurt, even woman in your local supermarket work with headaches... :p

Ok, serious: The problem with soccer starts (like everywhere) from the top. Grumpy super corrupt old men ruling (respectively don´t rule) the game. My theory is: They don´t use Instant replay, modern offside, etc. rules to keep the game as easy to be maniplulate as it can be.

If you all pipo think UCI is super corrupt, just search, read and know about Andrew Jennings. The UCI is nothing compared to the sick world of Fifa and IOC. Really this game is a hell waste of time.

Don´t know much about Aussie Rules football history, but from what i saw (all the way back to the mid 80s), i enjoyed it. Unluckily in germany there is 75% soccer on TV, no more Aussie rules, but plenty of real real football in winter in Cable-TV. Thanks god... ;)

About playing the game (soccer) itself: I can compare. Played soccer in youth, then Baseball and Football (only in the backyard tough), Billards, Badiminton, Table Tennis, Tennis. All those games are more fun then soccer. Even poker is more thrilling... :D

After all: You are lucky to be in Australia, so you can follow some good sports. Here in germany it´s basically only soccer after cycling has ben destroyed by our hypocrite media.

A

Anonymous

Football or Soccer as ppl likes to call it is amazing. IF you know the game.it is beautiful with passes and players movement.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
IF you mean me, yes i DO know the game. I played organized soccer under a wonderful tactical intelligent coach for 9 years (until i moved to organized baseball). But that fact doesn´t change the reality that soccer is pretty boring. Cycling is also boring to do (or better say painful ;)), but great to watch. Something soccer is missing too.

But my true love is the real real Football. Unluckily i wasn´t tall enough, so i could play it only in the backyard. The greatest game invented by mankind. And Aussie Rules comes close...

auscyclefan94 said:
AFL is a free flowing, fast, hard, high scoring game. Great game.

sorry, sunshine, but it's so pc and lame now it's not funny. No where near as flowing as it used to be, nor hard. See Dippa's effort in a grand final with a punctured lung and broken ribs. Current bunch are fairies by comparison. the AFL ruined the Game - ripped it's heart out for money. Granted, the same can be said of football...

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
nah I love 'soccer' and I grew up in an AFL infleunced state.

for me it is easily the best football code in the world.

Nothing, nothing at all, not the tour, nor the giro can compare to the awesomeness that is the world cup.. I also love euro, because for a long time it has been of higher quality then the wc.

I've not done a world cup yet, but for pure atmosphere there is nothing like top level Football. I've done Cup finals and derbies here in the UK as well as UEFA Cup and Champions League matches. Awesome stuff. The AFL grand final and ANZAC day matches pale in comparison...
I'd even rate being on the Muur last April as better.

greenedge said:
NRL rules.

oh come on... run, tackle, run, tackle, run, tackle, kick... repeat ad nauseum

Cool Aussie Rules vid from Foxxy. Josh Fraser mark is brilliant.
The thing about Aussie Rules is that IF it is such a great game, then why isn't it played everywhere around the planet by now? It's had long enough, yet struggles outside of the four states that truly play it.
But you do have to love a game that gives you a point for missing the open goal. ;)

As for a 0-0 football match being dull or uninteresting, that's rubbish. The one thing about football is that even a minnow can pinch the win. The suspense of when and if someone will score is great, especially when the skills on show are at the top end of the sport. One lucky break by an opposing side can sometimes decide the game - that brief moment of a lapse in concentration. The unpredictability. You just don't get that in Aussie rules...

Aussie Rules used to be a great game with amazing skills on display, but now there's too many poorer players who, when faced with a more skillful opponent resort to questionable tactics of play. Flooding anyone?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
The thing about Aussie Rules is that IF it is such a great game, then why isn't it played everywhere around the planet by now? It's had long enough, yet struggles outside of the four states that truly play it.
But you do have to love a game that gives you a point for missing the open goal. ;)

As for a 0-0 football match being dull or uninteresting, that's rubbish. The one thing about football is that even a minnow can pinch the win. The suspense of when and if someone will score is great, especially when the skills on show are at the top end of the sport. One lucky break by an opposing side can sometimes decide the game - that brief moment of a lapse in concentration. The unpredictability. You just don't get that in Aussie rules...

Aussie Rules used to be a great game with amazing skills on display, but now there's too many poorer players who, when faced with a more skillful opponent resort to questionable tactics of play. Flooding anyone?

1.) We had this discussion in another thread why some sports are popular and others not. "The Hitch" summed it up perfectly: It´s what you are grown up with. In the colonys of England it´s cricket, in the US it´s real real Football and Baseball, in Australia it´s Aussie Rules Football. The poluarity has nothing to do with the exitement or not of games.

Only if you invest some time in learning something new (when still young and adventurous), you´ll see the exitement of games outside your country. I was "shocked" when i first saw Football and Baseball in german TV. I said to myself "how did you waste your time with soccer?". A few weeks later i was in a Baseball uniform, and very happy when coming home from a painful muddy Football struggle in the backyard. I learned the feeling late (16 years of age) what all US-Boys know from childhood: The proudness of coming home after a glory fight in football. An intense feeling i never had after a soccer match... Nothing (besides hitting a HR) comes close to catch a Ball one handed between defenders, to sack a QB, to intercept a ball returning it for a TD.

2.) ... or one lucky break enforced by the refs is enough to change the outcome of games and tournaments. Just imagine cycling, MTF and a umpire from the car calls foul and your opponent gets a free ride for 10 minutes. Soccer is laughable... :p

Better games being (a bit) predictable than being dependent of a blind or bribed ref... If that´s the thinking of exitement, well am out of words...

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I was at the Nou Camp a few years ago to watch Barca play Inter and despite Barca winning (5-0), it was one of the best nights I have experiences. I've never been in a stadium with 99,000 other people, just for a friendly match!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
sorry, sunshine, but it's so pc and lame now it's not funny. No where near as flowing as it used to be, nor hard. See Dippa's effort in a grand final with a punctured lung and broken ribs. Current bunch are fairies by comparison. the AFL ruined the Game - ripped it's heart out for money. Granted, the same can be said of football...

I've not done a world cup yet, but for pure atmosphere there is nothing like top level Football. I've done Cup finals and derbies here in the UK as well as UEFA Cup and Champions League matches. Awesome stuff. The AFL grand final and ANZAC day matches pale in comparison...
I'd even rate being on the Muur last April as better.

oh come on... run, tackle, run, tackle, run, tackle, kick... repeat ad nauseum

well said.
Still, for what footy has become it is still a pretty good sport.

I totally agree with your thoughts on rugby.
I've been to one game, and the gameplay just encourages a tame atmosphere. Tackle run, occasionally barge your way through. uhhf I dislike it.

zamasailo said:
Football or Soccer as ppl likes to call it is amazing. IF you know the game.it is beautiful with passes and players movement.

indeed.

I totally disagree that real football is boring. And as for playing it being boring, absolutely not. I love playing.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Timmy did you ever try out real real football? ;)

@craig

I was at Olympic Games 96 in ATL when Carl Lewis won at age 36. It was wonderful, been to WL-Football with friendly audience: wonderful, been to cycling: wonderful, to track & field WC: wonderful etc. etc.... and then i was invited some years back to soccer stadium. The guy next to me complained the whole game how bad is this and that. I got tired. And on the other side of the stadium "fans" let explode firecrackers. And that´s not even England where Hooligans fight on streets... That´s the amazing soccer too. :eek:

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:

BS. Current batch are stronger, faster, with better skills. Take off the rose coloured glasses to the past... watch a video from 10, 20 or 30 years ago... then sit on the fence at a current AFL game and listen to the bodies collide. Brutal.

Archibald said:
The thing about Aussie Rules is that IF it is such a great game, then why isn't it played everywhere around the planet by now?

Doesn't make it any lesser a game... As if we need overseas acceptance to know it's the greatest game on the planet? And anyway... you gain a foothold how? TinTanks aren't going to start playing AFL... Poms aren't going to start playing AFL... Pfft. Happy to keep the game as our guilty little secret.

Archibald said:

C'mon Archie... A 0-0 game interesting because a minnow can pinch a win!! They're bat sh!t boring... End of Story. And my team (Carlton) just had half a dozen lapses in concentration and lost to a minnow (Western Bulldogs)... Arrggghhh :mad: (And joking... they belted us!)

auscyclefan94 said:
AFL is a free flowing, fast, hard, high scoring game. Great game.

You should barrack for my team, the Magpies. They are the best team in the competition and they are the biggest team in the competition although they are the most hated :

Finally I agree with ACF94 :D Don't know about Biggest and Best though? What's that premiership count again?

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
haha, love em mate (WCE)

Shouldn't this go to the clinic if we are discussing the WCE? :D

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I hate the AFL vs Soccer debate cause I love both sports and its really pathetically childish

I barrak for the Brisbane Lions and this year has been so bad :( Collingwood flying makes it even worse!!

Im also a Member of Adelaide United and go to every game (im a sucker for punnishment arent I LOL!) - its played here in opposite seasons so it is ok to like them both believe it or not!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Timmy did you ever try out real real football? ;)

@craig

I was at Olympic Games 96 in ATL when Carl Lewis won at age 36. It was wonderful, been to WL-Football with friendly audience: wonderful, been to cycling: wonderful, to track & field WC: wonderful etc. etc.... and then i was invited some years back to soccer stadium. The guy next to me complained the whole game how bad is this and that. I got tired. And on the other side of the stadium "fans" let explode firecrackers. And that´s not even England where Hooligans fight on streets... That´s the amazing soccer too. :eek:

And there are idiots everywhere, some Vancouver Canucks fans took their defeat in the Stanley Cup the wrong way and had a riot. I enjoy watching football/soccer, and I do agree some games can be watching like paint dry.

I'm surprised you love the NFL given the widespread use of products that we can discuss in the Clinic.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
i don't mind adelaide united (tho I always liked roar, not because they own but because since the start the have played at the best football, the only difference this season was that they scored. But tehy also really upped a level this year, were awesome to watch.) I f**kn hate victory so damn much. If i had the oppurtunity I would slap muscut and thompson in the face. I really dislike that team..

I do like hearts tho, mainly because my mate plays for them.

anyway was pretty happy with carlton losing :D
top 4 is a real chance now as the highest team we have to play this season is fremantle :)
what a turn around, also i cant stand carlton. or the bombers and pies. they all suck.

while carlton have pies, hawks and a bye.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I hate Victory as much as I hate collingwood - if not more....I didnt mind Qld but Im so cut up that Travis has left so Im guessing I gotta like Perth now :( We got Bruce back and Vidosic is a class signing. FFA is screwing the competion with its small cap cause we are losing quaitly like Marcos Flores (cries!:()

Ive had a soft spot for the Eagles for a while now so its good to see them back on top. Im afraid collingwood will run away with it but at last the race for the bottom half of top four is getting interesting.......somthing to look foward to seeing we are struggling so badly :(

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
And there are idiots everywhere, some Vancouver Canucks fans took their defeat in the Stanley Cup the wrong way and had a riot. I enjoy watching football/soccer, and I do agree some games can be watching like paint dry.

I'm surprised you love the NFL given the widespread use of products that we can discuss in the Clinic

I think this problem has more to do with the society and moral in the decling western civilizations, but it surly has nothing to do with the beautiful game itself. BTW, the 1st world champs of our country (1954) in the World Cup all got Hepatitis (sharing the same needle at the finals halftime) and suffered afterwards. That might have been the first big soccer clinic scandal...

Only that soccer found a way to throw everything under the carpet (see Fuentes, Festina, Juventus, Argentina 78 and all the other game bribing scandals, the big time corruption etc.) doesn´t mean they are an inch better than other sports. Sorry man, the other way around is true: Soccer is the most dirty sport there is. May only cricket comes close. You certainly ride the wrong horse with your love for soccer ...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
sportzchick said:
I hate Victory as much as I hate collingwood - if not more....I didnt mind Qld but Im so cut up that Travis has left so Im guessing I gotta like Perth now :( We got Bruce back and Vidosic is a class signing. FFA is screwing the competion with its small cap cause we are losing quaitly like Marcos Flores (cries!:()

Ive had a soft spot for the Eagles for a while now so its good to see them back on top. Im afraid collingwood will run away with it but at last the race for the bottom half of top four is getting interesting.......somthing to look foward to seeing we are struggling so badly

i liked you guys when you had burns and bruce djite.
Also your bad A$s defence back in the day was epic :D
Matthew Leckie was also a gun, super quick.

--

Anyway yeah I agree, coolingwood will take the flag this year no problem ( :( )
still... top 4 is a possibility

A

Anonymous

Timo, is muscat still playing? i remember watching him make that horrible tackle in the melbourne derby.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
he apparently retired before last season only to come back (i was gutted, thought I'd seen the last of that dog). So even tho he is retired now, he knows.

I cannot stand the guy. I'm sure he is a magpies fan considering how he acts :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Archibald said:
Still is a far more exciting game than Soccer. It is just mundane and boring. Give me 300km of flat cycling over Soccer every day. I do agree that things have become a bit softer in the AFL but one thing that is starting to turn me off is the amount of 'cheap shots' that players do. tbh, I don't watch AFL as much as I used to. Even local footy is not fun to watch because of the amount of thuggery and punch ups you see. It is a contact sport but some of the things you see are horrifying.

Spider1964 said:
BS. Current batch are stronger, faster, with better skills. Take off the rose coloured glasses to the past... watch a video from 10, 20 or 30 years ago... then sit on the fence at a current AFL game and listen to the bodies collide. Brutal.

Finally I agree with ACF94 :D Don't know about Biggest and Best though? What's that premiership count again?

Well I think the Goal kicking hasn't necessarily improved but overall the game is a lot faster which means skills have to be a lot sharper. Ultimately I think skills are better but it is hard to compare era's. If seeing bodies collide makes things better 20 years ago then we obviously have different views of the game.

Biggest club definetly. Best? May I remind you of the 1979 GF that Collingwood was robbed of?

TRENDING THREADS