• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

After 1 week, Who will win the giro 2013?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

After 1 week, Who will win the giro 2013?

• Other. Vino will replace nibali and show them how to win a race.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 28, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Wow can't believe in 2010 Nibali was TTing better than Wiggins, what a magical transformation for Wiggins in the past two years.:eek:

Those TT's are such a good indication of Nibali's ability against the clock, compared to Wiggins'. :rolleyes:

Instead it is Nibali who seems to have transformed this year...

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Wouldn't say so.
He lost more than a minute in 25 flat kilometres to Wiggo (which it's only slightly better than what we've seen in last year TdF).

It's Wiggins who ****ed it up in the technical part.

But Nibali lost 1 kg of muscle, he should be even worse than last year.

Specialized TT bikes should be the only ones used from now on.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
As just mentioned on the Stage thread; I think Wiggins is done, can't see him and Sky putting time into rivals. However, it is definitely time to start worrying about Evans. He looks set to give it an almighty go. Watch out for him Vincenzo.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
We don't know how Evans is actually feeling at the moment, or even if he is in form again, but we know that if he's within a sniff (which he is) he will attack Nibali until he is spent, and then attack some more. I think Nibali has a problem here with Evans.

Tomorrow will hopefully give a good indication on Cadel, but he should easily be able to hang with Nibali in the high mountains.

If Nibali has to watch Cadel, Wiggins, Scarponi, Gesink (and Uran and Henao if Sky alter their tactics) then I think he really might be found wanting.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
But Nibali lost 1 kg of muscle, he should be even worse than last year.

Specialized TT bikes should be the only ones used from now on.

lol what? He's a kg lighter. His fat percentage is just a bit lower now then last year. Does not mean he lost 1kg of muscle lol..

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Tomorrow will hopefully give a good indication on Cadel, but he should easily be able to hang with Nibali in the high mountains.

If Nibali has to watch Cadel, Wiggins, Scarponi, Gesink (and Uran and Henao if Sky alter their tactics) then I think he really might be found wanting.

He doesn't need to watch them all on a MTF. Only Scaponi can make accelerations he has to worry about on a MTF. On the TT he need to worry about Wiggins and Cuddles though, that is why he will attack them in the mountains. Not the other way around. Scarponi is a joker though.

Cimber said:
He doesnt need to watcht them all on a MTF. Only Scaponi can make acceplations he has to worry about on a MTF. On the TT he need to worry about Wiggins and Cuddles though, that is why he will attack them in the mountains. Not the other way around. Scarponi is a joker though.

Cadel is capable of taking a good chunk of time (10-20s) if he is with Nibali at 2km to go and I think a fit Wiggins is too. The reality is if any of them get a good gap then Astana are going to have to work to bring them back, and I'm not sure they are strong enough to do that for two weeks.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Cadel is capable of taking a good chunk of time (10-20s) if he is with Nibali at 2km to go and I think a fit Wiggins is too. The reality is if any of them get a good gap then Astana are going to have to work to bring them back, and I'm not sure they are strong enough to do that for two weeks.

Personally I dont see it happening. I think Nibali, Scarponi and other climbers will put gaps into Cuddles and Wiggo when it gets real steep.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Fair enough.

Although I don't see how you can call Nibali a climber and not Evans and Wiggins.

While Nibali isnt a pure climber he is much more of an attacker than especially Wiggins, hence I gave him that label. But surely he isnt a Pozzovivo.

Cimber said:
While Nibali isnt a pure climber he is much more of an attacker than especially Wiggins, hence I gave him that label. But surely he isnt a Pozzovivo.

Ok, but Wiggins didn't win the tour by being poor in the high mountains, neither did Cadel. I'd call it evens, but on current known form Nibali probably does have the lead.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Gesink/Wiggins for the win.
Nibali to say uncle at Galibier or... even Télégraphe maybe.

God, save this race from one of the most boring and uncharismatic riders in the peloton.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Ok, but Wiggins didn't win the tour by being poor in the high mountains, neither did Cadel. I'd call it evens, but on current known form Nibali probably does have the lead.

Wiggins is a steady (but high) pace follower, Nibali isnt. Evans is in between I reckon. The Giro mountains shift a lot in gradiants and are often very steep, which, in my opinion, wont suit Wiggins very well.

Its just my personal opinion, but I really cant see Wiggins attacking for real in the mountains. If he is super he might be able to do it Ullrich-style, but I really doubt it. But he has a chance to take time on the MTT.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
God, save this race from one of the most boring and uncharismatic riders in the peloton.

So far it looks good in that regard. Only, the rider who is the most boring is not the same for the two of us ;) But anyways, if we disregard who we like and dislike, this Giro has been really cool and unpredictable so far. Really surpasses the Tour so far.