• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1013 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Beech Mtn said:
CE_RXWOW8AAM4Js.jpg

Not to kick a man when he's down, but Alberto is starting to look like Oleg in this photo. I've seen OT make this exact same face in lots of pictures. :D

NOOOO!!!! :p
Actually I almost see what you're talking about. Not good!

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
The_Cheech said:
If it's just a dislocated shoulder they can just pop it back in and, provided they take care of it, he will be able to ride tomorrow.

So why didn't Tom Boonen take this approach earlier this spring? :rolleyes:

I dont want to translate everything:

Según ha informado su equipo en un comunicado de prensa, Boonen no se ha roto la clavícula en dicho incidente, sino que ha sufrido una luxación en la zona acromioclavicular. Pese a ello, y según han informado los servicios médicos de Etixx, esta lesión lleva consigo un “largo periodo de recuperación” que impedirá a Tommeke participara en las clásicas del norte.

But that injury, althoug is a dislocation as well in the shoulder, ii is in other part of the shoulder and was more important and take a long recovery. We talk about to ride cobbles, anyway, but that wanst the question, but the kind of injury. Really different. He was ok in Turkye anyway, so it wanst so long recovery as predicted.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I hope he starts tomorrow, and finish w/o problem. I hate to see if he has to leave the Giro. Boy, I can't stand watching Richie with his smug smile dons on pink jersey.

I bet his rival will attack him like crazy either tomorrow or saturday to finish him off.. Good luck for the TS and Contador tomorrow. It will a battle.

Jelantik said:
I hope he starts tomorrow, and finish w/o problem. I hate to see if he has to leave the Giro. Boy, I can't stand watching Richie with his smug smile dons on pink jersey.

I bet his rival will attack him like crazy either tomorrow or saturday to finish him off.. Good luck for the TS and Contador tomorrow. It will a battle.

I agree, Richie in pink would suck. I wonder who would be the first one to start the 'ANYONE but Porte in Pink' thread? lol

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I truly hope Contador is OK. And if he finishes the stage tomorrow I believe he will win giro with 3+ minutes, instead of my original guess of 5+ minutes.

Imagine if contador drops some time this weekend and it about 2 minutes behind Aru and Porte going into the rest day? Tuesday is flat, imola stage probably won't be big GC fight, monte berico I would be surprised if it's more than a few seconds, friday is flat too. ITT? I'm thinking contador and porte will be very close and aru will be maybe a minute behind if he really improved his ITT, if not he'll be maybe 2 minutes behind. So maybe after the ITT porte is in pink with aru at +1.5 and contador at +2. We would get Aru and Contador going for big attacks in the big mountains. :eek: :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Sciocco said:
I truly hope Contador is OK. And if he finishes the stage tomorrow I believe he will win giro with 3+ minutes, instead of my original guess of 5+ minutes.

Imagine if contador drops some time this weekend and it about 2 minutes behind Aru and Porte going into the rest day? Tuesday is flat, imola stage probably won't be big GC fight, monte berico I would be surprised if it's more than a few seconds, friday is flat too. ITT? I'm thinking contador and porte will be very close and aru will be maybe a minute behind if he really improved his ITT, if not he'll be maybe 2 minutes behind. So maybe after the ITT porte is in pink with aru at +1.5 and contador at +2. We would get Aru and Contador going for big attacks in the big mountains. :eek: :D

Waaahh, you are very optimistic. I'm still cautious. Contador on paper can win. But we haven't seen yet the dominance, stomp your opponent kinda show yet. And with this injury, it's making it complicated. While porte on the other hand still has the bragging right sorta speak from winning all season (not saying it's a guarantee, but at least he has shown some flying form that make people take notice).

Starting weekend onward, mark the time when porte endurance and recovery will be in real test. He has been performing flawlessly as GC leader on a week long race but not in 3 weeks yet. We'll see if his private RV has an affect on how well he recovers. But for now, I will hold my expectation on contador, until I see some glimmer of his real form (and how his shoulder injury affects him). At least on the next 3 stages, I'll be holding my breath for Contador.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Beech Mtn said:
CE_RXWOW8AAM4Js.jpg

Not to kick a man when he's down, but Alberto is starting to look like Oleg in this photo. I've seen OT make this exact same face in lots of pictures. :D

LOL. Reminds me of Bolek & Lolek...
Anyway, I guess AC goes on, and after rest day the battle will continue with him being ok. But hopefully without Olga calling the shots in the car (like chasing the own man Kreuziger).

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Jelantik said:
Sciocco said:

Waaahh, you are very optimistic. I'm still cautious. Contador on paper can win. But we haven't seen yet the dominance, stomp your opponent kinda show yet. And with this injury, it's making it complicated. While porte on the other hand still has the bragging right sorta speak from winning all season (not saying it's a guarantee, but at least he has shown some flying form that make people take notice).

Starting weekend onward, mark the time when porte endurance and recovery will be in real test. He has been performing flawlessly as GC leader on a week long race but not in 3 weeks yet. We'll see if his private RV has an affect on how well he recovers. But for now, I will hold my expectation on contador, until I see some glimmer of his real form (and how his shoulder injury affects him). At least on the next 3 stages, I'll be holding my breath for Contador.

Well, I feel it is better to be optimistic. Even if Contador ends up abandoning he'll be going full on for another GT. It's Contador after all. I think tomorrow is about survival and saturday/sunday is damage control. I honestly believe Contador will attack on Saturday, but I also think Aru will be wearing pink on Sunday's stage. I wouldn't be too surprised if the pink jersey does something like: Contador > Aru > Porte > Aru > Contador by the end. I'm hoping for Contador, because I think he can win the double even with this injury because the first 9 stages of the TdF look crazy.

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Beech Mtn said:
CE_RXWOW8AAM4Js.jpg

LOL. Reminds me of Bolek & Lolek...
Anyway, I guess AC goes on, and after rest day the battle will continue with him being ok. But hopefully without Olga calling the shots in the car (like chasing the own man Kreuziger).

I believe I read that Tinkov would be around for week 1 and week 3 of the Giro, as he'll be getting surgery during week 2.

irondan said:
Jelantik said:

I agree, Richie in pink would suck. I wonder who would be the first one to start the 'ANYONE but Porte in Pink' thread? lol

It is very likely he get the pink in the ITT, with Contador crash or without.

Has Porte killed someone? at least he is not a liar.

A present:

pic111655434_600.jpg

Damn, I hope his rivals would want to win the Giro in a proper way. But I am doubting it, and I would not be surprised if Richie tried to gain time on Bertie tomorrow. But I do believe that if he makes it through to the rest day without any serious losses, he is still the favorite. But the Fiuggi stage will be a crucial day! I will have my fingers crossed the whole weekend...

rune1107 said:
Damn, I hope his rivals would want to win the Giro in a proper way. But I am doubting it, and I would not be surprised if Richie tried to gain time on Bertie tomorrow.

I would be very surprised about that, if Contador really has a considering injury.

Tomorrow is a day for a breakaway and some teams, as Movistar or Orica to take control, it is not a day for GC contenders.

Saturday is different, in the final climb everybody will give his best, and Sunday the same.

Anyway, if for instance Amador is tomorrow in the breakaway and Saxo dont want to catch, Astana or SKY must do it, and that it not unfair... but maybe still movistar dont do that... others teams.. yes, the Giro go on and lot of interest, not just GC...

Re:

TourOfTexas said:
As someone who subluxed his shoulder last week, I can tell you it's not an injury you want to cycle on while healing. I predict an abandon in the coming days.

He has not the same dislocation than Boonen, very different... look at the picture of hrotha, there is not much more to say...

But he said he later dislocated himself again before podium, and that is when was painfull... :confused:

Why he has not best people around him to advice him?

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
It is not the type of injury that shoots pain right after. You can compensate with muscles for a short time to hold it steady. The feeling is a looseness in the shoulder and pain if it pops out again. Riding for hours and hours compensating is going to be very tough for him. Also in that picture you can see his weight is off his right arm. This injury takes six weeks to heal, first week is in a sling.

Re:

TourOfTexas said:
It is not the type of injury that shoots pain right after. You can compensate with muscles for a short time to hold it steady. The feeling is a looseness in the shoulder and pain if it pops out again. Riding for hours and hours compensating is going to be very tough for him. Also in that picture you can see his weight is off his right arm. This injury takes six weeks to heal, first week is in a sling.

Nice try, but he dont have that injury you talk about. Read again the diagnosis.

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
rune1107 said:
Damn, I hope his rivals would want to win the Giro in a proper way. But I am doubting it, and I would not be surprised if Richie tried to gain time on Bertie tomorrow. But I do believe that if he makes it through to the rest day without any serious losses, he is still the favorite. But the Fiuggi stage will be a crucial day! I will have my fingers crossed the whole weekend...

I dont think anyone can take time from Contador with that stage 7 profile. Stage 8, Aru and Porte are going to play their cards. Im pretty confident that he is fine, it sounds bad, but mentally this might motivate him into beast mode.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Terrible sad situation. I had a bad feeling something like would happen when that crash went down. Seems like every time Griepel wins some kind of mayhem happens from behind. Well he should just withdraw and allow time to recover, then smash everyone in the Tour and possibly add the Vuelta on for his double instead. Kreuziger in a good time position, let's see what he can do.

TRENDING THREADS