Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
rhubroma said:
I know full well that cycling is much more competitive than in the past,
though that said I can't see how he showed up for this race with the condition he has.
A Contador in top shape, doesn't put in a performance like the terrible one on the Mur today.
I hear what you're saying, he probably knew he had this average form right before the Tour when doing his test on Sierra and that's why I believe they have a plan of peaking later.

But otherwise, if they (Alberto and De jongh) have no plan and don't know what they're doing apart from just going day by day, just "trying" the double like that then I have no idea why he showed up for the Tour either because this form is unacceptable in July.

So to me it makes no sense if the plan isn't to peak later on. I can only believe that and if it turns out to be not true then I can only blame their imcompetence and stupidity for even showing up and not waiting for the Vuelta.
100% agree
 
It is extremely hard to get to that level of sharpness. It requires a massive amount of dedication and sacrifice. I knew it was likely the only time we would see him in such brutal shape, but he crashed out, so we will never know what he would have been able to do at his absolute best.
 
Re:

rhubroma said:
Hate to say it, but Contador got this wrong for what he is aiming to do.

I know full well that cycling is much more competitive than in the past, though that said I can't see how he showed up for this race with the condition he has.

When guys road the Giro-Tour double back in the 80's and 90's, they always showed up for one thing with their weight right, but I don't see this with Contador and I just can't fathom how after 2013 he could have expected to beat the likes of Froome and co. with his current physical status.

I realize some may think I'm beating a dead horse, but really after Colle della Finestra and the photo's I saw recently I said to myself, he's not going to be anywhere near brilliant enough to do it. A Contador in top shape, doesn't put in a performance like the terrible one on the Mur today.

He'll have to improve considerably to be anywhere near capable of dropping Froome in the mountains at this point.
Indeed!
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
The reason Contador had 2016 on the slate as his retirement date is that he didn't know how this would pan out. He took that risk and was the only one willing to do it. Maybe it will or maybe it won't work. Perhaps he didn't plan on having to do quite so much work in the Giro? Who knows? But at 3 days in, I think it is early days to write off a plan which must have involved trying - at least trying - to be at max. for the Tour mountains.

Maybe he won't get there; he's clearly not on fab form now. But I do think we are all a bit guilty of over-analysis and romanticisation. One day does not a Tour make, and even when he's been on form, he's had off days or different build ups. I'm not 100% happy, but I'm not going fret yet. He's got less to do than some of his rivals who didn't go to the Giro.

As for being blocked - well, I'll struggle, but somehow, I'll get over it. (Although I should like to point out that congratulating her husband on their happy news is not exactly a damning criticism.)
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
It is extremely hard to get to that level of sharpness. It requires a massive amount of dedication and sacrifice. I knew it was likely the only time we would see him in such brutal shape, but he crashed out, so we will never know what he would have been able to do at his absolute best.
There's still next year, you can be at your prime at 33. According to ferrari LA was at his best in his last tour, it's possible.

I would love to see race him all out in his prime one more time.
 
Feb 21, 2014
2,133
0
0
I don't think he needed to have the Tour 14' level of sharpness to do well today, just take AC pais vasco 14' and he would've demolished today or at least on par with Purito.

To be honest, I feel like we've come to a point where we focus too much on his weight, it's just part of the equation. In Vuelta 12', he was super skinny, just above Tour 2014, only lacked a bit muscularly compared to 2014. And he was good but not that strong; Same in Giro 08'.

Plus here, he's looking fine to be honest, it's just his light training that caused him to reach very high pulse on the ITT and doing bad at the moment. He was never going to do well on such brutal effort so early.
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
rhubroma said:
Hate to say it, but Contador got this wrong for what he is aiming to do.

I know full well that cycling is much more competitive than in the past, though that said I can't see how he showed up for this race with the condition he has.

When guys road the Giro-Tour double back in the 80's and 90's, they always showed up for one thing with their weight right, but I don't see this with Contador and I just can't fathom how after 2013 he could have expected to beat the likes of Froome and co. with his current physical status.

I realize some may think I'm beating a dead horse, but really after Colle della Finestra and the photo's I saw recently I said to myself, he's not going to be anywhere near brilliant enough to do it. A Contador in top shape, doesn't put in a performance like the terrible one on the Mur today.

He'll have to improve considerably to be anywhere near capable of dropping Froome in the mountains at this point.
Indeed!
Not really, because how for f-s sake did he and his staff mess all of this up. You want to go for the big a$$ feat, then at least show up with your weight where it needs to be. Then if you fail, ok, but don't make this kind of showing.

I'm sorry, but another 2013 after all the hype is really bad.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
who knows? Maybe he overcooked himself today. He knows Froome is the benchmark. He might be too tempted to see if he can hang with him. Ow well, he didn't. So either his form isn't there (as part of the plan to peak on week 2 and 3) or he is just too eager to see where his form compare to the rest of fab 4. At the moment, out of the fab 4, he is the weakest one. It doesn't bode with our expectation, but he and de jongh should know something that we don't know. For sure, he isn't going to repeat 2013 either. (ow please, I can't see him dangling on the mountain and being distanced by 2nd rated climber). But as he said, he is in "uncharted territory" now. He has been preparing to go double from the last year. As much as I would like to believe, his performance isn't convincing yet. Maybe it's just his lack of racing rhythm? One thing for sure, he and his team are in a luck side to survive the big carnage today. A lot of rider left the race with broken something. For that, today's lost, is nothing.. he still have 18 days to fight and try to win it. Good luck tomorrow. you win some, you loose some. I hope tomorrow he wins some.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Re: Re:

rhubroma said:
Carols said:
rhubroma said:
Hate to say it, but Contador got this wrong for what he is aiming to do.

I know full well that cycling is much more competitive than in the past, though that said I can't see how he showed up for this race with the condition he has.

When guys road the Giro-Tour double back in the 80's and 90's, they always showed up for one thing with their weight right, but I don't see this with Contador and I just can't fathom how after 2013 he could have expected to beat the likes of Froome and co. with his current physical status.

I realize some may think I'm beating a dead horse, but really after Colle della Finestra and the photo's I saw recently I said to myself, he's not going to be anywhere near brilliant enough to do it. A Contador in top shape, doesn't put in a performance like the terrible one on the Mur today.

He'll have to improve considerably to be anywhere near capable of dropping Froome in the mountains at this point.
Indeed!
Not really, because how for f-s sake did he and his staff mess all of this up. You want to go for the big a$$ feat, then at least show up with your weight where it needs to be. Then if you fail, ok, but don't make this kind of showing.

I'm sorry, but another 2013 after all the hype is really bad.
His weight is important. And he is a 9x GT winner going for the double who gets paid millions to make sure his weight is perfect. He knew Froome would be this good. Let's see what he can do in next 3 weeks
 
Apr 6, 2014
4
0
0
Re:

BlurryVII said:
Plus here, he's looking fine to be honest, it's just his light training that caused him to reach very high pulse on the ITT and doing bad at the moment. He was never going to do well on such brutal effort so early.

Spot on dude. Plus I don't dare to count him out, and after so few days off racing. how many times have people counted him out and he has come back with some attack. Contador don't need to be the best, but the smartest. He has shown many times that he is a very experienced and smart biker racer, latest in the grio,Colle delle Finestre.

Iam so lucky that I have Bjarne Riis, the guy who has worked with contador for 4 years, to analyse the stages. He said that he could imagine throwing Sagan out on a mountain stage to hunt for the green jersey and Contador could join him later.

I Think something like that could happen. PLus he will just get better as the race goes on , he has a great traning staff. Couldn't imagine they didn't have a plan
 
Re: Re:

rhubroma said:
Carols said:
rhubroma said:
Hate to say it, but Contador got this wrong for what he is aiming to do.

I know full well that cycling is much more competitive than in the past, though that said I can't see how he showed up for this race with the condition he has.

When guys road the Giro-Tour double back in the 80's and 90's, they always showed up for one thing with their weight right, but I don't see this with Contador and I just can't fathom how after 2013 he could have expected to beat the likes of Froome and co. with his current physical status.

I realize some may think I'm beating a dead horse, but really after Colle della Finestra and the photo's I saw recently I said to myself, he's not going to be anywhere near brilliant enough to do it. A Contador in top shape, doesn't put in a performance like the terrible one on the Mur today.


He'll have to improve considerably to be anywhere near capable of dropping Froome in the mountains at this point.
Indeed!
Not really, because how for f-s sake did he and his staff mess all of this up. You want to go for the big a$$ feat, then at least show up with your weight where it needs to be. Then if you fail, ok, but don't make this kind of showing.

I'm sorry, but another 2013 after all the hype is really bad.
I think we all know your opinion :).
 
Re: Re:

Sciocco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Taxus did Alberto kick your puppy? Steal your girlfriend? Why do you dislike him so much? :confused:
I want to know the answers to these questions as well!
I try to be objetive, but he is a lier and almost as mafious as Lance...
But I admit he is better than a lot of people that shined in the dark era, he is clever and very competitive, and it is good for cycling he tried Giro and Tour, but he did becouse he Knos he has no chances againt frome in le Tour and not very much with Quintana or others on the moumtains.
There is a fact, after his santion he cant be the best again in le Tour, but lot opf people here is compared him with the best riders of the history...
I do the same when some people said Pantani was a great climber, Lance the best in le Tour and things like that.
I just to be happy if he is on the front, becouse in Spain other way maybe they dont put le Tour on TV, becouse here people follow a sprort if the spanish can win... Purito could be podium owining 2stages, but that wouldn be a reason to see le Tour.
I like Alberto Contador fundation, it is good for cycling.

Alberto ride fisrt, obviously for money but second for the fans, what is important for him is that fans think what he did is very important, very difficult, becouse he want always face the best saying he has a chllenge, he had a injury, he rode the Giro, so that way if he fail he has an excuse, but no way to put in discussion he is the best. if other people beat him must be an explanation...bbut normally that excuse are not like looks.

Last year I said he will ride the Vuelta, wityh the nest preparation of the contenders and to win it, while contador said no way to ride the Vuelta, I was right.

And this year I know exactly that he is not the stronger in the Tour, for that reason I asked here to his fans what he is expect for, what is a good result for him, when he is goint to peaks, and things like that.. becouse valverde rode last year Tour and later vuelta and did a very good vuelta form the begining to the end... so i dont want excuses later, La florecilla sayd just to win is a good result.

Froome in his forst attemp to Tour. Vuelta fade at the end, although he managed to be 4 th,, taht is normal, but when you have done that more times you can be at a good level in bith of them.. it is always meritable, there are riders that cant do that.

Now Contador has not started at the level or Froome and others.. (I think similar to the level of the Giro, his level), but if I see at the level than Froome started that Vuelta, with the best the fisrt days, Giro is not an excuse for this level.

Anyway good for Contador, and for Rigo, to do Giro and Tour with GC in mind, becouse is phisically but especially mentaly demanding.

if Contador would have another palmares in the dark era, he would be considered in other way and he dont lie and invent things...I would be a great fan of him, becouse I like riders that know how to read the races, and race to give spectacle, and he is that kind of rider.

But I know a lot of things of contador that I dont like, I like anyway that there are a lort of people that like cyclking for him, that is good and you are welcome, but I am sorry I disagree with you.

I use to say aupa Alberto to him on the races, but what he did withLlanda is this Giro was so ugly that maybe no more times for him. I was happy to see hoy he couldn follow Landa in Finestre as today the same with Froome.
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
STAGE 1: A short intensive effort - he didn't do well, but not that bad.
STAGE 2: Did very well to hang on, but at the end when everybody put in their maximum effort (sprinting), he didn't look up to it.
STAGE 3: He actually looked fine until the moment he blew up. I actually think his sensations were good, so his form must also be okay.

The thing in common is, that he seems to lack the high intensity punch right now. De Jongh said today "we know it's not Alberto's type of climb, he's better on the longer climbs" - well I think their training this year has been aiming for him to be good on the longer climbs and the longer ITT (Giro). Better at longer efforts, and a little less explosive than we usually see. His accelerations in the Giro wasn't impressive either, but he was clearly better at maintaining a high pacer for a longer period of time.

Of course we don't know how his body will react to the fatigue from the Giro, but it was damn obvious that he wouldn't be at his best in the first week. If he won today, or followed Froome without any problem, then I'll guarantee that 99 % of the people in here would say "He's too good right now, I think he'll fade in the last week".

Remember when Contador decided to do the Giro-Tour double? When he saw that he could win the Vuelta without comming in on topform, but improve trough the race. THAT's what he will try to do this time again, and only god knows if his body can do it, but it's with 100 % certainity that the goal is to become better and better through the race.

Like everybody said earlier in the season:

Spring at 80 % - Giro at 80-90 % (if he doesn't peak, then he'll be less fatigued - it's obvious), and then TRY to peak in the 2nd and 3rd week of the Tour.

I'll not lie, i'm nervous to see if he can pull it off, but in my mind I know that if Contador can't pull of a double, then nobody can. That's for sure.

And to Taxus - stop spreading bs all the time please. Sometimes you say good things, but your hate for Contador is too obvious. A Contador in top shape (only focusing on one GT) is still equally the best GT rider in the world with Froome, and then Quintana and Nibali a level below. He's not ducking anybody.
 
May 18, 2015
245
0
0
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Sciocco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Taxus did Alberto kick your puppy? Steal your girlfriend? Why do you dislike him so much? :confused:
I want to know the answers to these questions as well!
I try to be objetive, but he is a lier and almost as mafious as Lance...
But I admit he is better than a lot of people that shined in the dark era, he is clever and very competitive, and it is good for cycling he tried Giro and Tour, but he did becouse he Knos he has no chances againt frome in le Tour and not very much with Quintana or others on the moumtains.
There is a fact, after his santion he cant be the best again in le Tour, but lot opf people here is compared him with the best riders of the history...
I do the same when some people said Pantani was a great climber, Lance the best in le Tour and things like that.
I just to be happy if he is on the front, becouse in Spain other way maybe they dont put le Tour on TV, becouse here people follow a sprort if the spanish can win... Purito could be podium owining 2stages, but that wouldn be a reason to see le Tour.
I like Alberto Contador fundation, it is good for cycling.

Alberto ride fisrt, obviously for money but second for the fans, what is important for him is that fans think what he did is very important, very difficult, becouse he want always face the best saying he has a chllenge, he had a injury, he rode the Giro, so that way if he fail he has an excuse, but no way to put in discussion he is the best. if other people beat him must be an explanation...bbut normally that excuse are not like looks.

Last year I said he will ride the Vuelta, wityh the nest preparation of the contenders and to win it, while contador said no way to ride the Vuelta, I was right.

And this year I know exactly that he is not the stronger in the Tour, for that reason I asked here to his fans what he is expect for, what is a good result for him, when he is goint to peaks, and things like that.. becouse valverde rode last year Tour and later vuelta and did a very good vuelta form the begining to the end... so i dont want excuses later, La florecilla sayd just to win is a good result.

Froome in his forst attemp to Tour. Vuelta fade at the end, although he managed to be 4 th,, taht is normal, but when you have done that more times you can be at a good level in bith of them.. it is always meritable, there are riders that cant do that.

Now Contador has not started at the level or Froome and others.. (I think similar to the level of the Giro, his level), but if I see at the level than Froome started that Vuelta, with the best the fisrt days, Giro is not an excuse for this level.

Anyway good for Contador, and for Rigo, to do Giro and Tour with GC in mind, becouse is phisically but especially mentaly demanding.

if Contador would have another palmares in the dark era, he would be considered in other way and he dont lie and invent things...I would be a great fan of him, becouse I like riders that know how to read the races, and race to give spectacle, and he is that kind of rider.

But I know a lot of things of contador that I dont like, I like anyway that there are a lort of people that like cyclking for him, that is good and you are welcome, but I am sorry I disagree with you.

I use to say aupa Alberto to him on the races, but what he did withLlanda is this Giro was so ugly that maybe no more times for him. I was happy to see hoy he couldn follow Landa in Finestre as today the same with Froome.
The stuff you post is the same stuff that comes out the back end after eating a bad burrito. Your posts are useless, made worse by your terrible butchering of the English language. Just go away.
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Re:

rm7 said:
STAGE 1: A short intensive effort - he didn't do well, but not that bad.
STAGE 2: Did very well to hang on, but at the end when everybody put in their maximum effort (sprinting), he didn't look up to it.
STAGE 3: He actually looked fine until the moment he blew up. I actually think his sensations were good, so his form must also be okay.
I think he looked uncomfortable at times with the pace - gritting teeth etc., but I was struck at the time, and have posted earlier, that he only blew up when he swung left, to the steeper inside bend, swapping from Froome's wheel, when I believe he thought Froome was slowing. I don't think he'd have tried this if he was that bad..it was a (failed) attempt to take another wheel and go round, but I think the steeper line and micaculating / not having the punch took him over the limit, so he overcooked, whilst Froome continued.

I'm not trying to make it all seem ok - I'd have like to see that 'gadfly on the shoulder' Contador, but he wasn't there. But neither was it some kind of disaster.
 
Jul 10, 2009
918
0
0
Jelantik said:
who knows? Maybe he overcooked himself today. He knows Froome is the benchmark. He might be too tempted to see if he can hang with him. Ow well, he didn't. So either his form isn't there (as part of the plan to peak on week 2 and 3) or he is just too eager to see where his form compare to the rest of fab 4. At the moment, out of the fab 4, he is the weakest one. It doesn't bode with our expectation, but he and de jongh should know something that we don't know. For sure, he isn't going to repeat 2013 either. (ow please, I can't see him dangling on the mountain and being distanced by 2nd rated climber). But as he said, he is in "uncharted territory" now. He has been preparing to go double from the last year. As much as I would like to believe, his performance isn't convincing yet. Maybe it's just his lack of racing rhythm? One thing for sure, he and his team are in a luck side to survive the big carnage today. A lot of rider left the race with broken something. For that, today's lost, is nothing.. he still have 18 days to fight and try to win it. Good luck tomorrow. you win some, you loose some. I hope tomorrow he wins some.
I totally respect AC, he really has to figure this out himself, no one we know has attempted this since the Pantani days. The best people said was "I will use Giro to warm up for TDF". Right now its really 70% mental that he has to overcome, we should give him full support not talk about "next year" after stage 3. For some one who has overcome major challenges in his career, I think this is not a piece of cake but not a big deal.
 
May 18, 2015
245
0
0
Apart from the ITT in the Giro, has Contador done anything this year that was super impressive? On the Mortirolo stage of the Giro, which is probably his most "impressive" race of the year, if you look at it objectively, it wasn't that impressive. It looked more impressive than it was based on outside factors (Astana "tactics), but he still got dropped at the end of that race. Everyone keeps saying "wait for this, wait for that" as if he's going to come onto some magical form at some point. I just don't see it. Frankly, lots of excuses for many of his Giro performances (not on top form, conserving energy, no reason to chase certain guys, etc...) Go rewatch Contador of 5, 6, 7 years ago...he was absolutely devastating. I see NONE of that now. He is slow, lacks any explosiveness, and he looks all twisted up when he climbs (I know he has his signature climbing style, but it looks pained now, it's not nearly as fluid or efficient). He was good enough to win the Giro against a pretty mediocre field, but this year's tour is a Big-Boy race, and so far he is showing to be a level (or two) below the other main contenders. I'll keep waiting for the flash of brilliance, but I have no reason, based on watching his races this year, to believe it will come.

Anyway, Froome was clearly the #1 favorite for the Tour, so there really should be no surprise. A fully rested AC would have trouble beating Froome anyway, IMO, but add in the Giro, and his "just OK" form so far this year, and I could see him finishing somewhere around top 10, but not higher. It's strange to me that he'd make 2015 the year he'd go for the double...he's on the wrong side of 30, and we are in an era of several top riders. From the start, this was going to be a very difficult challenge, and his form this year is showing it may not quite be good enough.
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
Re: Re:

Electress said:
rm7 said:
STAGE 1: A short intensive effort - he didn't do well, but not that bad.
STAGE 2: Did very well to hang on, but at the end when everybody put in their maximum effort (sprinting), he didn't look up to it.
STAGE 3: He actually looked fine until the moment he blew up. I actually think his sensations were good, so his form must also be okay.
I think he looked uncomfortable at times with the pace - gritting teeth etc., but I was struck at the time, and have posted earlier, that he only blew up when he swung left, to the steeper inside bend, swapping from Froome's wheel, when I believe he thought Froome was slowing. I don't think he'd have tried this if he was that bad..it was a (failed) attempt to take another wheel and go round, but I think the steeper line and micaculating / not having the punch took him over the limit, so he overcooked, whilst Froome continued.

I'm not trying to make it all seem ok - I'd have like to see that 'gadfly on the shoulder' Contador, but he wasn't there. But neither was it some kind of disaster.
http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/vidme/?title=Last+7+Km+of+Stage+3&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=pREs&yr=2015 - yeah 10:02 - I see what you're saying.

But I dont follow the "he was looking uncomfortable with the pace" etc, I actually think he looked totally fine. He moved with Froome without any problems, but he should really just have stayed on his wheel and not try to overtake him on the inside.

I'm not really worried about his form, because with the high pace he was ahead of Nibali and Quintana, but he overestimated himself when the brutal effort came. He simply couldn't do it, and completely blew just like Finestre. But I think he would been ahead of the other guys, if he had just stayed on Froomes wheel.

He needs to come into the mountains in yellow, and I actually think he have a good chance of doing that. He needs to cover attacks like Vuelta 2014. I think that's the point with bringing one more flat rider.
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
I actually meant meant earlier on in the stage - for example, when following Majka's pace on the penultimate climb. He was also gritting his teeth a lot the day before but I thought that was probably as much about the shitty weather and concentration in the wind, etc.

And FWIW, I agree just before he swung off Froome, I actually thought he looked ok. I think he overestimated himself.
 
May 18, 2015
245
0
0
He lost 18 seconds on the road, nevermind the time bonus. I know it's a steep climb, but in about a K, to lose that much time is huge. He pretty much blew up by the top.
 
Re:

IamIronMan said:
Apart from the ITT in the Giro, has Contador done anything this year that was super impressive? On the Mortirolo stage of the Giro, which is probably his most "impressive" race of the year, if you look at it objectively, it wasn't that impressive. It looked more impressive than it was based on outside factors (Astana "tactics), but he still got dropped at the end of that race. Everyone keeps saying "wait for this, wait for that" as if he's going to come onto some magical form at some point. I just don't see it. Frankly, lots of excuses for many of his Giro performances (not on top form, conserving energy, no reason to chase certain guys, etc...) Go rewatch Contador of 5, 6, 7 years ago...he was absolutely devastating. I see NONE of that now. He is slow, lacks any explosiveness, and he looks all twisted up when he climbs (I know he has his signature climbing style, but it looks pained now, it's not nearly as fluid or efficient). He was good enough to win the Giro against a pretty mediocre field, but this year's tour is a Big-Boy race, and so far he is showing to be a level (or two) below the other main contenders. I'll keep waiting for the flash of brilliance, but I have no reason, based on watching his races this year, to believe it will come.

Anyway, Froome was clearly the #1 favorite for the Tour, so there really should be no surprise. A fully rested AC would have trouble beating Froome anyway, IMO, but add in the Giro, and his "just OK" form so far this year, and I could see him finishing somewhere around top 10, but not higher. It's strange to me that he'd make 2015 the year he'd go for the double...he's on the wrong side of 30, and we are in an era of several top riders. From the start, this was going to be a very difficult challenge, and his form this year is showing it may not quite be good enough.
It's only strange if you don't understand his mentality. He has said he won't be remembered for one more Giro win in a year or one more Tour win in a year; he already has nine. He knows that if he is able to do the double that will give him a much greater status. Better now than never.
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Re:

IamIronMan said:
He lost 18 seconds on the road, nevermind the time bonus. I know it's a steep climb, but in about a K, to lose that much time is huge. He pretty much blew up by the top.
Yes, he blew up; over-estimated his capacity or underestimated the climb and went into the red. Which is why he couldn't follow Nibali and Quintana either.
 

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
964
0
0
I still don't see the teeth gritting on the penultimate climb. And I also don't think he would have Majka set such a tempo, if he was uncomfortable. He was clearly feeling good, and then suddenly totally blew up.

Otherwise it wouldn't make sense to have Majka set such a hard pace, and then try to overtake Froome. I can see his explanation about lacking sugar, but I think that's more wishful thinking on his own part than the truth.

I'll still also point out that he have Basso as his season long roomie and friend, who did the last successfull Giro-Tour in 2005. On the first MTF he was dropped over a minute, and from that point on he was the strongest with Armstrong. I think Basso have also told him what he did that year to recover, and not go into the Tour at a high level.

You could also argue that it's a hard Tour this year... back in the days almost up to stage 10, there were no real tests for the GC guys, so you had 8-9 days to find race rhytm. This year you have to be on point from the start, and Contador obvious can't do that.
 
Jan 24, 2012
1,169
0
0
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Sciocco said:
LaFlorecita said:
Taxus did Alberto kick your puppy? Steal your girlfriend? Why do you dislike him so much? :confused:
I want to know the answers to these questions as well!
I try to be objetive, but he is a lier and almost as mafious as Lance...

I use to say aupa Alberto to him on the races, but what he did withLlanda is this Giro was so ugly that maybe no more times for him. I was happy to see hoy he couldn follow Landa in Finestre as today the same with Froome.
What?

Thank you for answering by the way.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS