• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1444 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Contador has had a solid spring and a good MTT so i'm not sure what to make of today. I still belive he is where he needs too be in regards to TDF. I Hope so.

Froome is where he is supposed too be, so is Porte.

I dream of a tour where all the Big riders is in top shape.

I

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Ouch

Just saw that on twitter, Valgren said that he expected Alberto to win here. Seems he really let the team down.

Jens_attacks wrote that he would be impressed if Tinkoff chased down that break all by themselves, Valgren replied "yeah easy just tapping the pedals" jens replied "I thought Alberto would do the same"
Then Valgren
@faustocoppi60 Tell you a secret! I thought so too

:(

Is it about tapping the pedals or being impressed about Valgren taking the break back?

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
lenric said:
Miburo said:
He was sprinting for a km straight up. You linked the vid, perhaps you should watch it?

Watch it More than once though, at least 5 times. Some people in this world are rather slow, not your fault, DNA.

If Froome was sprinting, then Contador was sprinting too. But now you'll answer "oh, but he was with his body faced to the wind, so he was clearly better", so that you can assert your point.

Anyway, looks like someone clearly upset because, which is funny, being so self-conscious and upset about cycling :D

You're ignornant. Hard to not be annoyed with ignorance but ok man at least I tried

At least, I'm not the one who can't take and respect other people opinions without insulting them :)

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Ouch

Just saw that on twitter, Valgren said that he expected Alberto to win here. Seems he really let the team down.

Jens_attacks wrote that he would be impressed if Tinkoff chased down that break all by themselves, Valgren replied "yeah easy just tapping the pedals" jens replied "I thought Alberto would do the same"
Then Valgren
@faustocoppi60 Tell you a secret! I thought so too

:(

He has faith in his captain. That's not a bad thing.

lenric said:
Miburo said:
Look at the gradients of the col du beal, look how froome led the entire climb and still beat contador in the sprint.

Who was clearly better mate?

Froome was wearing the yellow jersey, who should be leading in, at least, the last 12 minutes of the stage (according to the video)?
About the sprint, isn't Froome supposed to be way better than Contador in sprints, according to the armada of Contador fans? That being said, it's normal his victory, in spite of being in better/worse form than Contador. :eek:

Last time I checked, the yellow jersey isn't the one who needs to attack and gain time. No point attacking as the yellow jersey unless you believe you are superior to your rivals on the day

PremierAndrew said:
lenric said:
Miburo said:
Look at the gradients of the col du beal, look how froome led the entire climb and still beat contador in the sprint.

Froome was wearing the yellow jersey, who should be leading in, at least, the last 12 minutes of the stage (according to the video)?
About the sprint, isn't Froome supposed to be way better than Contador in sprints, according to the armada of Contador fans? That being said, it's normal his victory, in spite of being in better/worse form than Contador. :eek:

Last time I checked, the yellow jersey isn't the one who needs to attack and gain time. No point attacking as the yellow jersey unless you believe you are superior to your rivals on the day

He attacked. Whether that was due to him feeling superior, or due to him having the need to prove he was superior (according to the insecurity that bleeds from his auto-biography) is debatable.

Yes Miburo, you are right. Take the bycicle and ride it. The reason is yours, congratulations. :)

PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
That was a beast ride fleur, result doesn't matter that much when you see a ride like that
That was his once in a lifetime chance to win the Dauphiné.
And Froome will just win his 3rd in 4 years like no big deal.
It hurts, I must admit.

Something tells me that Froome might just be open to switching his palmares with Contador if he could
Sure, that's not really the point though. It annoys me that Alberto somehow never won the Dauphiné (and probably never will) while Praying Mantis makes it seem like it's easy peasy.
Whatever way you turn it Contador's palmares would look better with a Dauphiné win.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
That was a beast ride fleur, result doesn't matter that much when you see a ride like that
It hurts, I must admit.

Something tells me that Froome might just be open to switching his palmares with Contador if he could
Sure, that's not really the point though. It annoys me that Alberto somehow never won the Dauphiné (and probably never will) while Praying Mantis makes it seem like it's easy peasy.
Whatever way you turn it Contador's palmares would look better with a Dauphiné win.
Dauphine is just a easy race for froome like pais vasco is just a easy race for contador. No worries

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
It hurts, I must admit.

Yea I get you, I feel the same about Cav never wearing yellow at the Tour, despite dominating for so long, just because they never held a sprinters' first stage without having a prologue/hilly stage, and no time bonuses either. Then Kittel turns up and does it in 2013, 2014 and probably this year too.

Anyway, I have a feeling that Froome will attempt the Giro-Tour double next year if he wins the Tour this year, and unless Contador turns up at the 100th Giro too, he'll get a clear run at the Dauphine if he's really desperate

PremierAndrew said:
Yea I get you, I feel the same about Cav never wearing yellow at the Tour, despite dominating for so long, just because they never held a sprinters' first stage without having a prologue/hilly stage, and no time bonuses either. Then Kittel turns up and does it in 2013, 2014 and probably this year too.

Anyway, I have a feeling that Froome will attempt the Giro-Tour double next year if he wins the Tour this year, and unless Contador turns up at the 100th Giro too, he'll get a clear run at the Dauphine if he's really desperate
If Alberto has more than 3 brain cells he rides the 100th Giro and not the Tour. Of course, he's been talking about focusing solely on the Tour in 2017 a lot, so I guess that proves he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ;) or perhaps he's just extremely confident for whatever reason.

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

If Alberto has more than 3 brain cells he rides the 100th Giro and not the Tour. Of course, he's been talking about focusing solely on the Tour in 2017 a lot, so I guess that proves he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed ;) or perhaps he's just extremely confident for whatever reason.

That's not about intelligence, it's about what's important to you. Contador is past the point where he should care about what others want him to ride.

From the Tinkoff dispatch:
“In the final I tried to follow Chris and Richie but it came down to having the legs, which I always said before the race was what I was here to test. "

Simple he didn't have the legs :(

Alberto explained from the finish. “We will see what happens tomorrow. I’m sure that day by day I will go better. Anything can happen. The only thing that’s important for me is that I’m ready for the Tour de France. "

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day! Bring on the rain:)

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:

If this year's Tour does turn out to be a re-run of 2013, then he'd be an idiot to go to the Giro with Froome. Froome will have proved that he's better, and so Contador won't get a better chance to win a 3rd/4th Tour in his career with Froome not at 100%.

But that's if and only if Froome dominates him at the Tour. Which I certainly hope doesn't happen. If AC>CF or CF>AC but only narrowly, AC can go to the Giro :p

Red Rick said:
That's not about intelligence, it's about what's important to you. Contador is past the point where he should care about what others want him to ride.
He should put 2 and 2 together and realize the 100th Giro is a very important race and he would also have a chance to win that one, unlike the Tour at age 34 ;) a Giro win is always better than a podium/top 5 at the Tour, and the 100th Giro is even more prestigious.
And he could combine it with the Vuelta and retire after that, would give him the opportunity to go out with a bang.

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
He should put 2 and 2 together and realize the 100th Giro is a very important race and he would also have a chance to win that one, unlike the Tour at age 34 ;) a Giro win is always better than a podium/top 5 at the Tour, and the 100th Giro is even more prestigious.
And he could combine it with the Vuelta and retire after that, would give him the opportunity to go out with a bang.
Definitely agree, but I guess much will come down to how the Tour '16 goes, don't you think? I know he has been very adamant about Tour '17, but as we know by now, a lot can change in a span of 1 year. Especially for the once to retire in '16 Contador

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
It's not like the Giro will be more prestigious just because it's the 100th edition tbh... I don't consider Sagan's Ronde victory any more prestigious than those of Cancellara or Boonen.

PremierAndrew said:
If this year's Tour does turn out to be a re-run of 2013, then he'd be an idiot to go to the Giro with Froome. Froome will have proved that he's better, and so Contador won't get a better chance to win a 3rd/4th Tour in his career with Froome not at 100%.

But that's if and only if Froome dominates him at the Tour. Which I certainly hope doesn't happen. If AC>CF or CF>AC but only narrowly, AC can go to the Giro :p
I doubt both Froome and Quintana will go to the Giro next year. If Froome does ride the Giro, I'm sure Contador would have a better chance of beating him there than beating Quintana at the Tour.

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
From 3,50 to 5,50.
And that is why those bettings odds mean nothing.
Was he likelier to win the tour yesterday than he is today? No. The outcome is fixed in time. The likelihood is fixed in time. Nothing that happens right now will chance that except for crashes and illness.
In short, nobody should care.

So you din't think it was more likely for Contador to win prior to the smackdown by Froome?

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
From 3,50 to 5,50.
And that is why those bettings odds mean nothing.
Was he likelier to win the tour yesterday than he is today? No. The outcome is fixed in time. The likelihood is fixed in time. Nothing that happens right now will chance that except for crashes and illness.
In short, nobody should care.

So you din't think it was more likely for Contador to win prior to the smackdown by Froome?
No, because the outcome is fixed in time. It just gave us some insight into what that outcome will probably be (the outcome might still be that Contador beats Froome - but as I said it has no relation with what happened today)

TRENDING THREADS