• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1503 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Carols said:
"You need to be mentally strong to overcome a Tour start as bad as this one, especially after so much hard work," he said.

"But cycling is like that. I’ll have to try to be strong and not lose confidence. I have to think that it will be possible to recover when I get to my terrain (the mountains). I tried to minimize my losses but I gave away some time in only two days of racing.

"I can’t be downbeat but my morale is not intact. I want to fight on, otherwise I’d be keen to get out of here. The time loss is worse than the body blows."

Wow he is feeling bad :(

I think he is hurting badly. It's probably the worst feeling than coming off the Giro fatique. Reading his comment ... makes me feel sorry for him. He prepared meticulously. No set back, no sickness, now this? Two days, back to back he hits the floor.
yep,its fvcking joke :(

Of course there is still a chance if he doesnt lose more than 30s on Wednesday and then recovers before Aspin, but I think its highly unlikely considering his age,200+km stages and seriousness of injuries (e.g. *** sleep is sure)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
i'll say this.
IF Froome wins this TOur, there is no argument for Cotnador as far as 2010's go. Its a wash.

I'll still give Contador a chance to come back, or maybe quintana can hurt Froome's legacy, but if it happens. all the arguments about how Contador is better because in the least important gt he beat froome twice, while Froome's been dominating the one that actually matters, need to take a back seat

Wait, what?

Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
Jungle Cycle said:
https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/749654900527624192
didnt look to be potentially that important, besides that fact that it was the 2nd in 2 days...

The question is why he was a little at the back? Bad positioning?.. O for christ sake, he just got a bad luck after a bad luck. TDF seems to keep denying him. If he shows up w/ bad form, it punishes him by getting dropped from his rivals. If he shows up on form, the crashes takes him. He needs to stay upright in the next few days. Wednesday he might get dropped again. But as long as he stays upright, that's a start.

He was at the front.

peloton said:
The Hitch said:
i'll say this.
IF Froome wins this TOur, there is no argument for Cotnador as far as 2010's go. Its a wash.

I'll still give Contador a chance to come back, or maybe quintana can hurt Froome's legacy, but if it happens. all the arguments about how Contador is better because in the least important gt he beat froome twice, while Froome's been dominating the one that actually matters, need to take a back seat

Wait, what?

Yes I have no idea what's he's going at.

peloton said:
The Hitch said:
i'll say this.

Wait, what?
July fan, obviously :p

May 19, 2010
Visit site
One more win at the Vuelta for Alberto would tie him with Roberto Heras for the most Vuelta wins (four). If he could later tack a fifth Vuelta win onto his resume (which I think he could realistically do if he committed to the Vuelta for the next several years) he would have sole possession of that record; tie with all the legends of cycling for the most wins at any one Grand Tour; and, depending on your view of his 2010 Tour and 2011 Giro victories, climb into third or a tie for first in the total number of Grand Tours won by a cyclist.

I know Alberto really wants to get a post-ban TdF victory, and I'd love to see him get it. I just think he needs to be realistic about it and not, in chasing that elusive TdF win, squander the opportunity to get additional Grand Tour wins which would help cement his place in the cycling firmament, while he still has the ability to win those Grand Tours.

Re:

Califootman said:
One more win at the Vuelta for Alberto would tie him with Roberto Heras for the most Vuelta wins (four). If he could later tack a fifth Vuelta win onto his resume (which I think he could realistically do if he committed to the Vuelta for the next several years) he would have sole possession of that record; tie with all the legends of cycling for the most wins at any one Grand Tour; and, depending on your view of his 2010 Tour and 2011 Giro victories, climb into third or a tie for first in the total number of Grand Tours won by a cyclist.

I know Alberto really wants to get a post-ban TdF victory, and I'd love to see him get it. I just think he needs to be realistic about it and not, in chasing that elusive TdF win, squander the opportunity to get additional Grand Tour wins which would help cement his place in the cycling firmament, while he still has the ability to win those Grand Tours.
This, so much.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Califootman said:

the last time we saw Contador fit and healthy was in 2014. And he crashed out. You can't beat bad luck. You either gets it or you don't. So I don't believe that TDF is far fetch for Contador. He won every GT every year. Not many can say that. He just needs to have a luck on his side for this year. I hope, this is his last bad luck. Like I said, if he can stay upright for the next days, that's a start. (when things aren't going your way, you gotta take baby step to get back).

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
Alberto can still win the Tour one day no doubt, only quintana and froome are stronger and no one else is close to his level. All it takesis favorable circumstances like happened to evans or wiggins. Lets say next year Quiintana does the giro and froome crashes out of the tour Alberto should win it. Even this year we haven't hit the moutains yet maybe Contador will hit a new high and destroy every one. 1 min 40 is nothing in the mountains.

Re:

Ramon Koran said:
Alberto can still win the Tour one day no doubt, only quintana and froome are stronger and no one else is close to his level. All it takesis favorable circumstances like happened to evans or wiggins. Lets say next year Quiintana does the giro and froome crashes out of the tour Alberto should win it. Even this year we haven't hit the moutains yet maybe Contador will hit a new high and destroy every one. 1 min 40 is nothing in the mountains.
Not sure where you got 1'40" from. Are you factoring in a specific time loss on stage 5?

Re:

The Hitch said:
i'll say this.

7 GTs over 3 Tours any day

Re:

Ramon Koran said:

Well he's only got one more season at it is. I honestly think Kruijswijk will be a serious threat as well next year. I know he's only done well in one GT, but his recovery in grand tours is incredible, and his only real weakness, his descending, isn't much worse than AC's either. Even if Quintana and Froome both head off to the Giro next season, AC will need to be at his best if he is to win another Tour, because he's simply not the rider he was 5 years ago

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:
Bitter sweet celebration. I wonder if this only with the staff or also with the riders? It will take a lot to swallow disappointment for Contador to raise the glass and be happy for his team mate. Hey, tomorrow is another day.

https://twitter.com/tinkoff_team/status/749714643157938176
https://www.twitter.com/planetcycling/status/749692825579683840

he is a good teammate. At least they have something to celebrate (glass half full). On another note:

Steven De Jongh, explained. “After 55km Alberto had a bad crash again - a rider came down in front of him and he went over and hurt himself, it was just bad luck. That's the reason why in the final he couldn't stand up to climb and he blew his legs. That was the reason that he lost time.”

I expect his rivals will hit him hard on Wednesday to burry him.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Perseverance, thats what great champions are made of. To quit now is to stain his legacy with perhaps a loser's dab. Bertie I know keeps fighting. Many would have quit 2015 Giro after his kind of crash, with 2 arms poping out of the sockets. So what two crashes. Its the first 2 stages.

As for the team, I do not remember anytime when Bertie had a team fully dedicated to him. 2009 the team was for lance, 2010 the team was for Vino, 2011 contained Porto and others who did not fancy AC, 2013 was weak, 2014 he was absent and 2015 had people like Majka and Roche with their own agenda, Perhaps Bertie is too soft and feels he can do it on his own without a team. Not in today's cycling.

PremierAndrew said:
The Hitch said:
i'll say this.

Its 5, not 7 and 2 are asterixed

The Hitch said:
PremierAndrew said:
The Hitch said:
i'll say this.

Its 5, not 7 and 2 are asterixed

5? I already discounted 2010 and 2011

Nvm, just read that you're only talking about this decade, in which case I agree with your original post

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Ramon Koran said:
Not sure where you got 1'40" from. Are you factoring in a specific time loss on stage 5?
No, confused his time gap with Porte. He is actually far better off than I thought, people are over reacting, if Alberto is at his best he will close 50 seconds easily. He should gain more than that on Quintana in the tt and froome on the 3rd week.

As we speak, Berto is hurting every time he turns in the bed. In the morning, it's either pulling the sheets off his skin or replacing the wraps, which means hurting as well. Misery. He's been there, he's tough, no question. But in the meantime the other guys are resting, feel better in their heads. I never thought that I'd agree with Bob Rolle. But I do. Alberto Contador is done for this year's TdF. Thinking that he can recover is...a dream. And it's a nightmare that we're talking about. We're not talking about a 30K easy ride on Monday and Tuesday. It's the Tour. He won't recover. And the Lioran stage will be the end.

Alberto Contador is not Superman. He's made of blood and flesh. And the flesh is damaged. Badly. And the morale must be very low: he lost the Tour before it really began. Yikes. The detractors should show mercy: beating on a guy who is down is despicable.

Love to all of you, the Contador supporters, loyal fans, fanatics, and to your standard bearer LaFlo, a true cycling fan. I feel for you. Remember "second place is no good"? Well, it's true. Go rest Alberto, win the OG, the Vuelta, you can do both.

Jelantik said:
Califootman said:

the last time we saw Contador fit and healthy was in 2014. And he crashed out. You can't beat bad luck. You either gets it or you don't. So I don't believe that TDF is far fetch for Contador. He won every GT every year. Not many can say that. He just needs to have a luck on his side for this year. I hope, this is his last bad luck. Like I said, if he can stay upright for the next days, that's a start. (when things aren't going your way, you gotta take baby step to get back).

You can't beat bad luck, but if you create the conditions for bad luck to happen, then you have a responsability. And Contador, has have already been stated, sometimes has reckless behavior, such in that famous Tour (2014).

There's still time and he can recover. He's almost 34, but he can still recover. I don't know if totally in just 2/3 days, but I really don't believe that stage 5 will be that important.

He still has time and Sagan will help him in the descents. But he must be overly careful from now on. 2/3 falls in 2 days can't be 100% bad luck, but also recklessness/incompetence of his team to protect their leader.

Very bad news for cycling. Not just to lose Contador chances for this Tour, what is really bad, but again dont see the best in the best race at the best level to get better conclusions...

Maybe this way is better for Contador, becouse next year he could say he is old, so he could say after his santion except an odd year like 2013 he was better than Froome becouse he beated him in that Vuelta and in some other races and he coudnt be at his best in le Tour. With that and with the big palmares he got before his santion, he and his fans coudl argue some things. It wont count Froome saying his main rival is Quintana, the bets, the results in the dauphiné.. I have my conclusion, but other people could argue another, with less elaborated arguments, but arguable.

Anyway Froome will be likely at the Vuelta... not taking it so seriously like in the Tour, but traying to win it.. so if Alberto is not to be podium he could leave to Olimpics and Vuelta.

As well he could try dest lose too much before the first rest day and later to be ok to figh with another more risky strategy and 2 good ITT for him where at least to show wich is his potential.

He need a quiet day tomorrow for that

He must leave the idea to be at the front with his team all the day now...he must take risk and to waste now less energy than pther riders.

I couldnt see all the stage and I didnt know second crah, but I was surprised Kreuziger working too much from far while Contador was losing time...Contador still deserve more respect.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
As big a fan as we all are. You gotta believe he is still in it. Yes it looks bad now. Yes it stinks, he worked his butt off for this Tour. He is a CHAMPION. Lets see what the coming days bring. As long as he is signing in and riding lets keep up the hope. He came through in the Giro last year Give him the benefit.
IMHO