Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1508 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The unfortunate thing for Contador is that he seemed to have his best chance in the Tour for a few years going into the 2014 Tour but he crashed out. As many other riders have discovered, those opportunities come and go and when the form is really good you have to make the most of them but of course crashes and bad luck come into the equation. 2014 may have been the last really good chance for Contador to win the Tour but I was still looking forward to a battle between the favourites this year and that scenario already seems unlikely unless he recovers quickly. Motivation and toughness have never been a problem for Contador but injuries, illness or crashes can ruin anyone's race. Still the first week is only half done and other GC riders can also suffer bad luck. Geraint Thomas is struggling with injuries and he is usually important for Froome especially now that Porte has left Sky but the Sky squad has depth that others don't.
 
Last year he thought he could do it. In 2014 he felt amazing, going in tdf superstrong, but crashing out seriously. Recovering in time to win the Vuelta.

I think he felt superconfident and thought he could the double. Well that was obviously a mistake. If you don't try you will never fail.
It was kind of brave to try imo, maybe not smart though.

Ofcourse 2013 and 2015 were dissapointing TdF performances for a rider like Contador, but there were obvious reasons for it. Maybe 2013 less so, but he was just crap that year.

The never say die attitude he has is obvious though. When it's possible he tries it all, last 2 appearances in the TdF he simply didn't have anything to try. He maybe wanted, but his rivals were simply a lot stronger.
Also after these 2 crashes he's not giving up, he certainly could've done that imo since the only thing that's likely to happen is that he gets his ass spanked as he simply isn't recovered enough. Certainly not for the TdF when the lvl is at his highest.
He won't give up though.
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
The unfortunate thing for Contador is that he seemed to have his best chance in the Tour for a few years going into the 2014 Tour but he crashed out. As many other riders have discovered, those opportunities come and go and when the form is really good you have to make the most of them but of course crashes and bad luck come into the equation. 2014 may have been the last really good chance for Contador to win the Tour but I was still looking forward to a battle between the favourites this year and that scenario already seems unlikely unless he recovers quickly. Motivation and toughness have never been a problem for Contador but injuries, illness or crashes can ruin anyone's race. Still the first week is only half done and other GC riders can also suffer bad luck. Geraint Thomas is struggling with injuries and he is usually important for Froome especially now that Porte has left Sky but the Sky squad has depth that others don't.
Yeh well, they still have Henao, Landa, Poels and Kirienka. Thomas not feeling great isn't really a big problem imo.

Bad luck...yes that possible, but I have to say that Froome has been great in avoiding trouble since last year.
 
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
I don't remember this at all re 2013 and 2015. I remember it in 2011 and 2012 VUelta and 2014 Tirreno, but not at all in 2013 or 2015. Just Contador saying "I will attack" but with the exception of that one descent where he and Kreuziger attacked for about 2 minutes, nothing.
Well you clearly didn't pay much attention or perhaps you are just ignorant on purpose, because ever since he didn't manage to live up to your insane hype in 2012 you've taken every opportunity to slag him off.
In 2013, he attacked with his team on stage 13, he attacked on the climb and the downhill on the stage to Gap and he also attacked on the descent of Alpe d'Huez. In 2015, he attacked on Plateau de Beille after getting his arse handed to him 2 days earlier, and he attacked early on two or three times: I remember him attacking on the first climb of the day, attacking with Rogers and bridging to Barguil and Bobby Gesink, but I am not sure if those were 3 seperate occasions or just 2.
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps he didn't always manage attack uphill because he was simply in *** form and almost always at his limit? Probably not.
Can you name me one rider who finished 4th or 5th in a GT in recent years who attacked more and tried harder to gain time and climb on the GC?

The problem I have with that is, it was obvious from the very start he had no form. In 2013 some people reported it before the Tour had even began (and the results showed) that Contador had no form.

But he and a lot of the fans kept deluding themselves that it was magically going to come in the 3rd week.
2015 same thing. He did the Giro. A number of us said when he announced he would do the Giro that this was a mistake. Unless he had a plan.

He had no plan. Again it was - lets just ride and see what happens.

Does anyone believe Contador won any of the 9 gts he has by turning up and "seeing what happens". Maybe, maybe the 2008 Giro but that was against weaker competition. The others, no.

So for Contador to turn up to these races with no form but act like he felt he could actually win, was disapointing.
So what should he have done instead, in your opinion? Announce that he wouldn't have a chance to win so best not expect too much? Or should he just have flipped the finger to his sponsors and not started the Tour to save his fans from disappointment?
Do you think he has off-years on purpose?
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Re:

Carols said:
Alberto posted on FB this AM.
Google translated:
"when everything seems to go against you remember that an airplane takes off against the wind"

He's not giving up :)
Yes thats great! We have to hope he will lose minimum tomorrow and also will try to limit his losses on friday. Although Im a bit worried about that shoulder because off saddle climbing is really important for him, ...damn crashes
 
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
Carols said:
Alberto posted on FB this AM.
Google translated:
"when everything seems to go against you remember that an airplane takes off against the wind"

He's not giving up :)
Yes thats great! We have to hope he will lose minimum tomorrow and also will try to limit his losses on friday. Although Im a bit worried about that shoulder because off saddle climbing is really important for him, ...damn crashes
Fingers crossed, tomorrow is Very Important. I guess we'll find out how he is feeling, there will be no hiding. They will ride to eliminate him.....
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
ILovecycling said:
Carols said:
Alberto posted on FB this AM.
Google translated:
"when everything seems to go against you remember that an airplane takes off against the wind"

He's not giving up :)
Yes thats great! We have to hope he will lose minimum tomorrow and also will try to limit his losses on friday. Although Im a bit worried about that shoulder because off saddle climbing is really important for him, ...damn crashes
Fingers crossed, tomorrow is Very Important. I guess we'll find out how he is feeling, there will be no hiding. They will ride to eliminate him.....
with the premise that for me it is already over, but for those who still believe, tomorrow Alberto has to lose to at most a few seconds and absolutely nothing on Friday !
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
In 2015, he attacked on Plateau de Beille after getting his **** handed to him 2 days earlier, and he attacked early on two or three times: I remember him attacking on the first climb of the day, attacking with Rogers and bridging to Barguil and Bobby Gesink, but I am not sure if those were 3 seperate occasions or just 2.
[/quote]
He attacked on Plateau de Beille.
He briefly attacked during the 16th stage to Gap but couldn't distance anybody.
He attacked again on the 17th stage (I think it's the one you mention with Rodgers). That was the moment TJVG cracked.
He attacked on the 18th stage (Glandon) with Gesink and Barguil, they got a 40 seconds gap but they were caught on the following descent.
Finally, he attacked on the 19th stage (Col de Fer) and made a huge selection before Nibali attacked (chaingate 2.0).
 
Re:

movingtarget said:
The unfortunate thing for Contador is that he seemed to have his best chance in the Tour for a few years going into the 2014 Tour but he crashed out. As many other riders have discovered, those opportunities come and go and when the form is really good you have to make the most of them but of course crashes and bad luck come into the equation. 2014 may have been the last really good chance for Contador to win the Tour but I was still looking forward to a battle between the favourites this year and that scenario already seems unlikely unless he recovers quickly. Motivation and toughness have never been a problem for Contador but injuries, illness or crashes can ruin anyone's race. Still the first week is only half done and other GC riders can also suffer bad luck. Geraint Thomas is struggling with injuries and he is usually important for Froome especially now that Porte has left Sky but the Sky squad has depth that others don't.
Yes, Contador lost a good oportunnity, but Froome losed a bigger one.
 
Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
Carols said:
ILovecycling said:
Carols said:
Alberto posted on FB this AM.
Google translated:
"when everything seems to go against you remember that an airplane takes off against the wind"

He's not giving up :)
Yes thats great! We have to hope he will lose minimum tomorrow and also will try to limit his losses on friday. Although Im a bit worried about that shoulder because off saddle climbing is really important for him, ...damn crashes
Fingers crossed, tomorrow is Very Important. I guess we'll find out how he is feeling, there will be no hiding. They will ride to eliminate him.....
with the premise that for me it is already over, but for those who still believe, tomorrow Alberto has to lose to at most a few seconds and absolutely nothing on Friday !
In the Giro just a month or so back that old premise 'it's not over until it's over' was proven yet again. Sure it's a Long Shot but that doesn't mean he can't heal and win a stage or even podium if he is doing better soon. But yes the time loss must be Minimal.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Tomorrow we'll know it all, sky will definitely go hard. If Contador recovered, he'll be able to follow easily and then he has until sunday to be in peak shape.
 
Re: Re:

Carols said:
Matteo. said:
Carols said:
ILovecycling said:
Carols said:
Alberto posted on FB this AM.
Google translated:
"when everything seems to go against you remember that an airplane takes off against the wind"

He's not giving up :)
Yes thats great! We have to hope he will lose minimum tomorrow and also will try to limit his losses on friday. Although Im a bit worried about that shoulder because off saddle climbing is really important for him, ...damn crashes
Fingers crossed, tomorrow is Very Important. I guess we'll find out how he is feeling, there will be no hiding. They will ride to eliminate him.....
with the premise that for me it is already over, but for those who still believe, tomorrow Alberto has to lose to at most a few seconds and absolutely nothing on Friday !
In the Giro just a month or so back that old premise 'it's not over until it's over' was proven yet again. Sure it's a Long Shot but that doesn't mean he can't heal and win a stage or even podium if he is doing better soon. But yes the time loss must be Minimal.
yeah, but I was referring to the victory. for me (but I think for him) podium or stage win are rubbish :p
winning is the only thing that matters, especially for a guy who has already won everything :razz:
 
Re:

Miburo said:
Tomorrow we'll know it all, sky will definitely go hard. If Contador recovered, he'll be able to follow easily and then he has until sunday to be in peak shape.
You think they will go hard though? It's really early in the race with a backloaded TDF, and the first climb tomorrow is 40km out, I am not convinced they will drill it, I think Sagan has a good chance to win the stage.
 
Re: Re:

SafeBet said:
He attacked on Plateau de Beille.
He briefly attacked during the 16th stage to Gap but couldn't distance anybody.
He attacked again on the 17th stage (I think it's the one you mention with Rodgers). That was the moment TJVG cracked.
He attacked on the 18th stage (Glandon) with Gesink and Barguil, they got a 40 seconds gap but they were caught on the following descent.
Finally, he attacked on the 19th stage (Col de Fer) and made a huge selection before Nibali attacked (chaingate 2.0).
Thanks! :)
 
Re: Re:

Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:
Tomorrow we'll know it all, sky will definitely go hard. If Contador recovered, he'll be able to follow easily and then he has until sunday to be in peak shape.
You think they will go hard though? It's really early in the race with a backloaded TDF, and the first climb tomorrow is 40km out, I am not convinced they will drill it, I think Sagan has a good chance to win the stage.
If Sky and Movistar don't make it hard for Alberto tomorrow, they are really stupid. Sure, he may only have an outside chance right now but you never know. They should try to dispose of him for good while they can.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:
Tomorrow we'll know it all, sky will definitely go hard. If Contador recovered, he'll be able to follow easily and then he has until sunday to be in peak shape.
You think they will go hard though? It's really early in the race with a backloaded TDF, and the first climb tomorrow is 40km out, I am not convinced they will drill it, I think Sagan has a good chance to win the stage.
If Sky and Movistar don't make it hard for Alberto tomorrow, they are really stupid. Sure, he may only have an outside chance right now but you never know. They should try to dispose of him for good while they can.
They will put him to the sword unless their DSs are total idiots. He is to dangerous not to eliminate while he is hurting. It will be a real test for him.....
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Poursuivant said:
Miburo said:
Tomorrow we'll know it all, sky will definitely go hard. If Contador recovered, he'll be able to follow easily and then he has until sunday to be in peak shape.
You think they will go hard though? It's really early in the race with a backloaded TDF, and the first climb tomorrow is 40km out, I am not convinced they will drill it, I think Sagan has a good chance to win the stage.
If Sky and Movistar don't make it hard for Alberto tomorrow, they are really stupid. Sure, he may only have an outside chance right now but you never know. They should try to dispose of him for good while they can.

I agree that they should try to lift the pace particularly on that climb with 3km of 9%, but they might be put off by the long distance to the finish and the fact the finishing climb is relatively straightforward. We shall see, let's hope there are no crashes today, and today and tomorrow isn't as coma inducing as yesterday.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
I don't remember this at all re 2013 and 2015. I remember it in 2011 and 2012 VUelta and 2014 Tirreno, but not at all in 2013 or 2015. Just Contador saying "I will attack" but with the exception of that one descent where he and Kreuziger attacked for about 2 minutes, nothing.
Did it ever occur to you that perhaps he didn't always manage attack uphill because he was simply in **** form and almost always at his limit? Probably not.
Clearly yes, because it was the second part of my post, which ironically, you responded to below

Can you name me one rider who finished 4th or 5th in a GT in recent years who attacked more and tried harder to gain time and climb on the GC?

The problem I have with that is, it was obvious from the very start he had no form. In 2013 some people reported it before the Tour had even began (and the results showed) that Contador had no form.

But he and a lot of the fans kept deluding themselves that it was magically going to come in the 3rd week.
2015 same thing. He did the Giro. A number of us said when he announced he would do the Giro that this was a mistake. Unless he had a plan.

He had no plan. Again it was - lets just ride and see what happens.

Does anyone believe Contador won any of the 9 gts he has by turning up and "seeing what happens". Maybe, maybe the 2008 Giro but that was against weaker competition. The others, no.

So for Contador to turn up to these races with no form but act like he felt he could actually win, was disapointing.
So what should he have done instead, in your opinion? Announce that he wouldn't have a chance to win so best not expect too much? Or should he just have flipped the finger to his sponsors and not started the Tour to save his fans from disappointment?
Do you think he has off-years on purpose?
Well there was a lot of rhetoric about how Contador "doesn't care if he comes 2nd or 10th" (which he clearly did because he rode for 3rd place in both Tours) and how he was going to light up the final week trying to win the race.

And it wasn't true. I think its legitimate to criticise Contador for that. I know that some of you live still live in a binary world where everyone either despises Contador or loves him, and others live in the even greater delusion that the man can do no wrong.

I've always occupied the middle ground belief that no human is perfect, praise them when they deserve it and criticize them when they deserve that
 
Arguably he rode the 2013 Tour for 2nd, and the 2015 Tour for 3rd, or as high as his bad legs would carry him. He tried a few times, but got caught easily each time last year. I think Paris Nice this year shows quite nicely how he thinks about 2nd places when he has the legs to actually do something, though the rhethoric may be a bit overused.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Re:

SafeBet said:
I don't think he rode the 2015 Tour for third. Actually, I think the way he rode ultimately cost him at least one place in GC, possibly two.
There was also the crash
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY