Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1509 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Re: Re:

yeah, but I was referring to the victory. for me (but I think for him) podium or stage win are rubbish :p
winning is the only thing that matters, especially for a guy who has already won everything :razz:
Too much quotes.

Before Tour I expected when Froome unleashes his 1st attack he will drop them if he is like '13 and '15(good 1-2nd week,bad 3rd) ,I thought Quintana about 30s and Alberto with him or better.
There is no chance it will be better than this with this bad 1st week for Alberto. It depends on what you call minimal :)
 
I'm a little astonished about the fact that the Contador clan contacted Astana, Alberto said he normally would have his team before Tdf but since they approach Astana it seems Lampre, Trek didn't work out

or is it just a tactic to obtain what he wants from Trek or Lampre by menacing to go to Astana?
:confused:
 
So today, Quintana finished on Alberto's wheel (instead of Froome's). Looks like he realised where the real threat is for him :D

On a serious note. This finish was as expected for him today. He was constantly smiling during the stage and came alone through half of the pack on the penultimate climb. Hope that he gets back to top shape remains. But first, he has to hold on tomorrow. I will be so nervous, damn. If he comes in with Froome and Quintana tomorrow then it is game on. If not, then I will fall into deep depression mode (like every July for the last three years...) :cry:
 
I don't think Movistar will be one of the teams pushing the pace tomorrow. They know Quintana has a better chance against Froome with Contador as a contender; otherwise, it will be just too easy for Sky to focus all their might on Nairo.
 
Good result today, finished with Gatto, right between the other GC contenders. A few places behind Froome and Tejay, a few before Quintana and Porte.
When he lost Sagan's wheel with 5 to go and drifted back, and then that roundabout bottleneck situation happened, I feared the worst..
 
Re:

Lexman said:
I'm a little astonished about the fact that the Contador clan contacted Astana, Alberto said he normally would have his team before Tdf but since they approach Astana it seems Lampre, Trek didn't work out

or is it just a tactic to obtain what he wants from Trek or Lampre by menacing to go to Astana?
:confused:
Yeah, I thought the contract with Trek was pretty much certain. So possibly they had rejected an offer from Astana but then deal with Trek didn't work out. We'll see.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
Re:

AlexNYC said:
I don't think Movistar will be one of the teams pushing the pace tomorrow. They know Quintana has a better chance against Froome with Contador as a contender; otherwise, it will be just too easy for Sky to focus all their might on Nairo.
That's assuming Quintana actually wanna win the race
 
As far as the contract goes, his market value depends on this Tour. Probably Trek doesn't believe in him as much after the Dauphine and the brutal start to this Tour hasn't helped his standing.

On to tomorrow's stage. It is important, because he will put under preasure by Froome and Quintana, so now its going to be a fight to not loose more time. It takes 4-5 days to start coming out of the swelling-blow to the body period, so in theory he will still be feeling the effects of the crashes. If he doesn't loose more time then that will be very good for his morale, also because he doesn't need to just not loose time in the coming mountain stages, but start taking time back against rivals who haven't fallen. It's going to be a big challenge.
 
Re:

rhubroma said:
As far as the contract goes, his market value depends on this Tour. Probably Trek doesn't believe in him as much after the Dauphine and the brutal start to this Tour hasn't helped his standing.
Actually, Trek manager Guercilena said that they didn't specifically wanted to wait with reaching an agreement until after the Tour, he said that Alberto's value is clear and whatever happens at the Tour wouldn't affect their interest. Maybe they even wanted to sign him before, because a great performance at the Tour could make his market value even higher.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
rhubroma said:
As far as the contract goes, his market value depends on this Tour. Probably Trek doesn't believe in him as much after the Dauphine and the brutal start to this Tour hasn't helped his standing.
Actually, Trek manager Guercilena said that they didn't specifically wanted to wait with reaching an agreement until after the Tour, he said that Alberto's value is clear and whatever happens at the Tour wouldn't affect their interest. Maybe they even wanted to sign him before, because a great performance at the Tour could make his market value even higher.
I believe the bolded, but it seems Guercilena is playing the shrewd bargainer as to the former. You better believe that if Alberto does poorly at this Tour his market value goes down. It is impossible that it would not businesswise. Trek must have made a low bid offer and would prefer to sign AC now, rather than later, should he instead do well at the Tour. That seems like the logical tactic.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
I'm sure Contador would have attacked tomorrow if not for the crash.

Hey who knows, he still might :p
 
Jun 21, 2009
108
0
0
Conti will take a small beating tomorrow, but not that much...maybe less than a minute. He has fire like no other so just getting mad is his best weapon. Let's not forget the other favourites waiting to gang up on Froomenstein either; Nairo, Aru, Nibs (maybe)...these guys will duke it out and beat each other about with bad gel breath where maybe Conti can sneak in a surprise attack somewhere and get back in it. And what's this about that voodoo Indiba machine for faster cell recovery. Hell, maybe that will grow him 3rd and 4th legs to spin so fast no one will notice.

I'm not counting him out until next week when he throws his bike so far NASA sees it on radar.

Until then, we wait and see...
 
Don't know what to think about his chances of hanging in there tomorrow. It's going to be a nailbiter that's for sure and if he does hang tough then I'll be pretty positive about his chances for the weekend.
 
Aug 4, 2010
11,337
0
0
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Good result today, finished with Gatto, right between the other GC contenders. A few places behind Froome and Tejay, a few before Quintana and Porte.
When he lost Sagan's wheel with 5 to go and drifted back, and then that roundabout bottleneck situation happened, I feared the worst..
Can you elaborate pls? I havent seen it.
 
Not sure what to make of Brailsf. comments re. Alberto - that they 'won't kick a man when he's down'. If Movi (well, Piti) goes up the road, (I would suspect Porte might try to test a bit and perhaps Nibs getting in early) I hardly think they are going to do nothing.

Assuming Bertie isn't exaggerating at all I am preparing myself for a minute or more. Anything else will be a victory (of sorts) for me.
 
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
LaFlorecita said:
Good result today, finished with Gatto, right between the other GC contenders. A few places behind Froome and Tejay, a few before Quintana and Porte.
When he lost Sagan's wheel with 5 to go and drifted back, and then that roundabout bottleneck situation happened, I feared the worst..
Can you elaborate pls? I havent seen it.
The peloton was very wide and had to squeeze together, when entering a roundabout. It almost caused a huge crash. It happens with 3,7 km to go if you can find some highlights
 
Re: Re:

ILovecycling said:
LaFlorecita said:
Good result today, finished with Gatto, right between the other GC contenders. A few places behind Froome and Tejay, a few before Quintana and Porte.
When he lost Sagan's wheel with 5 to go and drifted back, and then that roundabout bottleneck situation happened, I feared the worst..
Can you elaborate pls? I havent seen it.
There was a traffic island in the middle of the road with about 3.5 k to go, the first 30 riders or so got through with no issues but after that riders had to squeeze through which slowed down the end of the group.
Edit: ninja'd by rune :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts