• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1512 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Where does this "can't stand on the pedals" come from. I've seen him out of the saddle many times, sure it may be painful but it's not as if he's physically incapable.

Do you read the reports? I was referring to two days ago when his DS said Alberto couldn't get out of the saddle because of being battered by the two crashes, which is why he lost those 48 seconds.

He may have improved yesterday and was able to stand up. Let's hope so, he will need it today.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
You don't need to stand up to attack. :D

PTNamGU.gif

Re: Re:

rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:
Where does this "can't stand on the pedals" come from. I've seen him out of the saddle many times, sure it may be painful but it's not as if he's physically incapable.

Do you read the reports? I was referring to two days ago when his DS said Alberto couldn't get out of the saddle because of being battered by the two crashes, which is why he lost those 48 seconds.

He may have improved yesterday and was able to stand up. Let's hope so, he will need it today.
I saw those reports, and I'm still unsure what to make of "he couldn't stand up to the climb". That doesn't seem like a normal way to say "he wasn't able to get out of the saddle on the climb".
He was out of the saddle on stage 2 anyway. Maybe not on the final climb though.

LaFlorecita said:
rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:

I saw those reports, and I'm still unsure what to make of "he couldn't stand up to the climb". That doesn't seem like a normal way to say "he wasn't able to get out of the saddle on the climb".
He was out of the saddle on stage 2 anyway. Maybe not on the final climb though.
Came from DeJongh. That's exactly how you would say it in the English vernacular. Getting out of the saddle just implies the lifting your bum part, standing implies staying out of the saddle.

Hopefully today will actually be quite good for him. It's doesn't suit Froome to get big gaps but Sky will have to keep an eye on Movistar, Contador might just be able to follow wheels and test his legs a bit to see how they are doing.

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
I'm curious to see what happen. But if he is dropped hardly it will be also his fault givin his constant complaints which incited the others to attack

When Contador complains, this is indication that he will attack and that his form is very very good ;)

miha1234 said:
Matteo. said:
I'm curious to see what happen. But if he is dropped hardly it will be also his fault givin his constant complaints which incited the others to attack

When Contador complains, this is indication that he will attack and that his form is very very good ;)
We hope. After a career which has shown extraordinary intelligence , I can not believe he is definitely crazy

Re:

rhubroma said:
Well, everyone has seen the skin he lost in the first crash. That doesn't heal in just a few days. If anything he's bluffing to make it not seem so bad, but the time he lost after the secong crash, when he couldn't stand on the pedals during the explosive finish of that stage, and his grimacing face on the run-in to yesterday's finish let's us know that he is still not well.

It will thus be hard for him to match the other top contenders at the end of today. But if he does that would be encouraging for the Pyrenees.

Terpstra was on the radio yesterday and he said that the wounds Contador has will need atleast 2 weeks to heal. He will always feel them when he's trying to sleep and race. Ofcourse it's a pain Contador can handle, but his body is working to heal as well.

He expected Froome to win the Tour with Quintana second, but he really hoped Contador could overcome his injuries as that would garantee an interesting TdF since Contador is an animator.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Kwibus said:
rhubroma said:
Well, everyone has seen the skin he lost in the first crash. That doesn't heal in just a few days. If anything he's bluffing to make it not seem so bad, but the time he lost after the secong crash, when he couldn't stand on the pedals during the explosive finish of that stage, and his grimacing face on the run-in to yesterday's finish let's us know that he is still not well.

It will thus be hard for him to match the other top contenders at the end of today. But if he does that would be encouraging for the Pyrenees.

Terpstra was on the radio yesterday and he said that the wounds Contador has will need atleast 2 weeks to heal. He will always feel them when he's trying to sleep and race. Ofcourse it's a pain Contador can handle, but his body is working to heal as well.

He expected Froome to win the Tour with Quintana second, but he really hoped Contador could overcome his injuries as that would garantee an interesting TdF since Contador is an animator.
Ohh crap,guess we will see after todays stage if it will be minutes....

Kwibus said:
rhubroma said:

And I assume that time contemplates maximum rest and not riding 200+KM a day in the biggest race of the year. Let's hope he can minimize his losses today.

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
Came from DeJongh. That's exactly how you would say it in the English vernacular. Getting out of the saddle just implies the lifting your bum part, standing implies staying out of the saddle.
Really? So a native speaker would not say "he could not stand up on the climb", but "he could not stand up to the climb"?

Correct. In the US, we describe Contador's style as riding out of the saddle. I assume the pain is in the shoulder and it should lessen with more treatment, but it will be there until after he finishes the Tour. Hopefully he can manage the pain, or learn on the fly to attack seated a la Froome :lol: :D

LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:
Really? So a native speaker would not say "he could not stand up on the climb", but "he could not stand up to the climb"?

Bah, sorry my brain read it wrong. Yes, we would say on, not to.

Edit: Actually my brain didn't read it wrong, you've added a "the" in. The actual quote was:

"he couldn't stand up to climb".

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site

Kwibus said:
miha1234 said:
Matteo. said:

When Contador complains we know nothing.

Very true. We know nothing except that Contador might as well be the Roadrunner. He's the wise and full of guile. Could very well be faking the extent of his injuries, but as a veteran, riding with pain is included in his salary so off he goes... I personally wouldn't be surprised if he tries to stretch his legs today just for the hell of it. He may still lose some time, but I think he'll manage. A few more damage control stages and it's game on again.

However, I'm still mad at Flo for that crazy 'prediction' that brought on this bad spell for Contador... :mad:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Publicus said:
LaFlorecita said:
King Boonen said:

Correct. In the US, we describe Contador's style as riding out of the saddle. I assume the pain is in the shoulder and it should lessen with more treatment, but it will be there until after he finishes the Tour. Hopefully he can manage the pain, or learn on the fly to attack seated a la Froome :lol: :D
Thats impossible,he is not facing some random guys like at giro 2015, he is facing two best climbers of the world.
He needs to be 100% in order to beat them,if he will not recover till 2nd and 3rd week then its game over.(only if Quintana and Froome are worse than last year)

SKY has said they want Contador in contenction for the win so they are not going to give everything today to eliminate him. Contador doesnt use to be so polite, but I think is the correct behaviour. They didnt anything for that those past days and they are not doing now.

Anyway Movistar is doing it and Froome must try to put time today to some rival becouse is a good day for him, so at the end of course SKY will do his race.

TRENDING THREADS