• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1566 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2012
Visit site
Scarponi said:
There is alot of talk about the double here but I do not think any of the doubles will be done again for a long time. The only one being attempted by riders is the Tour/Veulta and one Giro/Tour by Contador. Nibali fell short on the Giro and Veulta.

I am afraid any double containing TdF could be done only by Froome in next few years, but he won't go for Giro, so maybe Tour-Vuelta double? It would be probable if Contador skip Vuelta this year...
But i think Giro-Vuelta double is easily in Contadors reach so maybe next year? It will be 100th Giro...

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Gigs_98 said:
IndianCyclist said:
Even tours are bad for him with reasons getting duplicated
2006 - unable to participate
2008 - unable to participate
2010 - banned
2012 - banned
2014 - crash
2016 - crash
2018 - retired
2020 - retired
I fear it will be like this.
But with a win in 2017 :p

Odd year seems to have the best odd for Contador since the circumstances, he can control.
2007 - win
2009 - win
2011 - fatigue (unplanned Giro/Tour double)
2103 - suck form
2015 - fatigue (Giro/Tour Double)
2017 - ?? (two possibility options: either suck form or win) :D

Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:
Gigs_98 said:
IndianCyclist said:
Even tours are bad for him with reasons getting duplicated
2006 - unable to participate
2008 - unable to participate
2010 - banned
2012 - banned
2014 - crash
2016 - crash
2018 - retired
2020 - retired
I fear it will be like this.
But with a win in 2017 :p

Odd year seems to have the best odd for Contador since the circumstances, he can control.
2007 - win
2009 - win
2011 - fatigue (unplanned Giro/Tour double)
2103 - suck form
2015 - fatigue (Giro/Tour Double)
2017 - ?? (two possibility options: either suck form or win) :D

It seems obvious looking at that record talk of Alberto doing the Giro / Tour double is too late. If it was not possible in 2011 at 28 years of age and before Sky's dominance really started it certainly isn't possible in 2017 when Contador will also be 34 years of age - 10 years after his first Tour win.

Plus the effort to win the Giro will weaken any attempt to serious challenge the might of Sky / Froome at the Tour.

To me a single Tour win since 2012 would look better on Contador's palmarès than his Vuelta and Giro victories since. The fact is the Giro and Vuelta are not raced as hard as the Tour. What did a pro recently say, the Climbs of the Giro are twice as steep but the climbs of the Tour are raced twice as fast! And watching climbers getting shelled behind the Sky train who could doubt that?

It's a shame this year he crashed out and we will never know if he could have made life difficult for Froome. Contador has had a wonderful career and his racing style and bravado is what all road racers should aspire too but all good things must come to an end.

I'll say this now and I won't say it again. The cycling of watts and piloted champions is killing the romance. So ban the electronic equipment that aids cyclists on the road. I mean it isn't as if swimmers, or rowrers, have this data. Just field any team that can have at least three riders that can generate 400 watts for the magiority of the time on the climbs and its over. Who can attack? Get my drift? Then if you can TT too, you are unbeatable. But with an asterisk on the screen. Please, otherwise we would not be dealing with reality. Only a rider on a mega-budget team has any chance, no matter how innately gifted, of winning.

We are in for a long slog of boring outcomes.

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
I'll say this now and I won't say it again. The cycling of watts and piloted champions is killing the romance. So ban the electronic equipment that aids cyclists on the road. I mean it isn't as if swimmers have this data. But with an asterisk on the screen. Please, otherwise we would not be dealing with reality. Only a rider on a mega-budget team has any chance, no matter how innately gifted, of winning.

Cycling also has its Luddites, I see.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I think Contador should focus on the Giro and Vuelta next year. If he wins the Vuelta this year (and sadly that's a big if with how ridiculous Froome is) and next year he'd be sole record holder. Next year will be the Giro's 100th edition, so it will receive more media attention as well. But sadly he'll probably go for the Tour again.

CheckMyPecs said:
rhubroma said:
I'll say this now and I won't say it again. The cycling of watts and piloted champions is killing the romance. So ban the electronic equipment that aids cyclists on the road. I mean it isn't as if swimmers have this data. But with an asterisk on the screen. Please, otherwise we would not be dealing with reality. Only a rider on a mega-budget team has any chance, no matter how innately gifted, of winning.

Cycling also has its Luddites, I see.

Ha, Luddites, I see. But we can only expect programed outcomes and, or course, money and building market outcomes plays into this. Other than doping. I see.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
I think Contador should focus on the Giro and Vuelta next year. If he wins the Vuelta this year (and sadly that's a big if with how ridiculous Froome is) and next year he'd be sole record holder. Next year will be the Giro's 100th edition, so it will receive more media attention as well. But sadly he'll probably go for the Tour again.
Thats a nonsense.Fatigued Froome doesnt stand a chance again fresh Contador.Only Contador rivals are Kruiswijk,MAL,Purito and Chaves.

I want him to go for TdF again, he had enough Giro's and Vuelta's.I think he has a chance against top form Froome with a dedicated team, not mentioning that Froome may not be top form one year.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site

ILovecycling said:
El Pistolero said:
Thats a nonsense.Fatigued Froome doesnt stand a chance again fresh Contador.Only Contador rivals are Kruiswijk,MAL,Purito and Chaves.

I want him to go for TdF again, he had enough Giro's and Vuelta's.I think he has a chance against top form Froome with a dedicated team, not mentioning that Froome may not be top form one year.

I think that must be the biggest doubt in his mind. Try once more the Tour or go for a record of a life?

If He wins this year Vuelta, if he do it, he will be close to eddy in the record of victories in GT´s OF ALL TIME.

And maybe being cold, and recional, that will put him in the gods more than win one more tour against Froome, even if that is a huge achievement actually.

As a Contador Fan i trully don´t know what i prefer... But, step by step... First he must win this vuelta, then he must think...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Contador is training like a madman right now, this vuelta is gonna be good :)

The tour ratings dropped hard this year, no surprise. If Contador was there, nothing would have been dropped.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
No one could drop the sky train in the tour, contador did in the dauphine. Froome still had 4 guys, contador dropped them all on the last day.

Re:

Miburo said:
No one could drop the sky train in the tour, contador did in the dauphine. Froome still had 4 guys, contador dropped them all on the last day.

You and I know there is a world of difference between the Dauphine and the Tour train, please stop your shenanigans. Poels couldn't pedal, Thomas wasn't there, neither was Nieve. It was basically Henao and Landa.

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

You and I know there is a world of difference between the Dauphine and the Tour train, please stop your shenanigans. Poels couldn't pedal, Thomas wasn't there, neither was Nieve. It was basically Henao and Landa.
it's all about belief and hope. ruining one's hope is pretty brutal.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Nothing to do with hope and belief. You wanna do the stats with me? Contador had his second best dauphine in his career, knowing the field.

It was better than '10 (despite winning 2 stages, but he faced brajkovic and did a terrible ITT) and '09.

There's only one year where he didnt improve after the dauphine and that was in 2013. In all the other dauphines he improved a lot for the tour.

Way more than the likes of Porte and Froome. And Contador was at least at Porte's level in the dauphine, doing better than porte in 3 of the 4 big tests in the dauphine.

And Contador's recovery is a million times better than Porte in a GT. Porte was the second best GT rider in the tour.

So what dream am i talking about?

Oh yea Contador was 2nd in the UCI ranking. Come on let's have a discussion, what do you've to say to counter my argument?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

You're lucky quintana wasn't there, but no worries, he'll get his assbeating in the vuelta. Are there allergies to blame it on in september too?

Miburo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

You're lucky quintana wasn't there, but no worries, he'll get his assbeating in the vuelta. Are there allergies to blame it on in september too?
Don't you get tired from constant derogatory attitude to all AC opponents, Quintana in particular? You've launched that assbeating rhetorics with respect to Froome in the spring yet... ;)

Miburo said:
Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:

:eek:

Obnoxious as ever, Miburo. Why in the world is Quintana relevant here? We were talking about Froome's domestique in freakin Dauphine. Please, dude, stop being to condescending every fckin time and twist and turn in conversation. So tiring.

Re:

Miburo said:
Come on dacooley, answer to my other post. Let's talk about it, or what excuse are you gonna use mate?
I don't have any objections with your vision of the upcoming Vuelta. Bertie is the favorite, followed by Quintana, the Giro tier boys and Froome (providing he rides). Nonetheless, when one posts 'Froome doesn't stand any chance against fresh AC' whilst plenty of fans sacredly believed in AC outdoing fresh Froome in last year's Tour, that's difficult to read without a smile.

Re:

Miburo said:
Nothing to do with hope and belief. You wanna do the stats with me? Contador had his second best dauphine in his career, knowing the field.

It was better than '10 (despite winning 2 stages, but he faced brajkovic and did a terrible ITT) and '09.

There's only one year where he didnt improve after the dauphine and that was in 2013. In all the other dauphines he improved a lot for the tour.

Way more than the likes of Porte and Froome. And Contador was at least at Porte's level in the dauphine, doing better than porte in 3 of the 4 big tests in the dauphine.

And Contador's recovery is a million times better than Porte in a GT. Porte was the second best GT rider in the tour.

So what dream am i talking about?

Oh yea Contador was 2nd in the UCI ranking. Come on let's have a discussion, what do you've to say to counter my argument?

One week form does not always convert to three week form. The whole argument about Porte before this race was that he was strong over one week but did not have it for a three week race. Is Contador's recovery a million times better than Porte at this stage of his career ? I think you are underestimating Porte's performance and also Froome's and his team's. Does anyone really believe that Contador will win another Tour ?

Every year since 2010 we have heard why Contador did not make the podium, what should have happened and what could have happened. I have no doubt Contador would have been in the GC battle but it's all history now just like Mollema's and Porte's bad luck and Quintana's lack of strength. I would like to see the four of them return to the Tour next year with good form and more luck but I still don't think Contador will beat Froome in the Tour and likely no one else will either unless Froome is the one to have the change in fortune next time which is always possible in bike racing. Armstrong went seven Tours with one crash and then in his last Tour he had four. Froome had two this year but luckily was able to continue. That said Contador should win the Vuelta.

PremierAndrew said:
Miburo said:
Way more than the likes of Froome.

Froome went from struggling to beat TVG at the Dauphine to.. well we all know what happened at PSM.
Contador improves a lot between the Dauphine and the Tour but so does Froome. You're one of the few that still thinks Contador could have beaten Froome in this year's Tour
Compare the differences in climbing times. It's obvious who of the two that improve the most.