• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1569 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyways, its the classic case of Alberto being the most likely winner, but its more likely that he won't won than win. For him to be more likely to win than not, he needs to be the overwhelming favourite (alá Froome after the Pyrenees), but due to the competition and the fact that his injuries may or may not be worse than expected, he is a relatively small favourite. His chances may increase after San Sebastian and/or Burgos.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I reckon he must be the favourite for the Vuelta, and like LaFlo pointed out, Oddscheckers show that he is most betting people's favourite.
Froome and Quintana will theoretically be quite fatigued, especially in the 2nd part of the race.
He definitely would *appear* to be in pole position.
He just needs to somehow not crash! Although I guess he reserves most of his serious crashes for the Tour.

Re: Re:

Jakub said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Actually on OddsChecker based on "best odds" i.e. biggest return
Alberto has 9/4 best odds
Froome 11/4
Quintana 4/1
sooo? 3.25, 3.74 and 5.0? I never understand that notation :eek:

oh, I am not alone :)
I believe
Bertie 2,25
Froome 2,75
Quintana 4
For example for Berto you get 9 euros back for every 4 you bet.
So if you put 1 euro on Berto you will get 2.25 euros + the 1 euro you bet.
And these are the best odds you can get, with other bookmakers you will get less money.

Gee I thought I'd come read about how Berto's condition is before he races tomorrow and instead it's a betting thread.

This is what I have read:

In San Sebastián, Alberto hopes to start building up the competition pace, necessary to successfully tackle his next major goal, the Vuelta a España. "I watched many stages of the Tour on television, but it was not easy to follow the race because I knew almost every corner of the parcours and I found it difficult to accept that I wasn't there. However, sports is like that, and I'm already feeling better and working towards my next goal, the Vuelta a España".

Following a period of complete rest, Alberto Contador started "to slowly going on the bike for a spin and although the discomfort was always there and I had a slower rhythm longer than I expected, I haven't been worried about it. I am aware I will lack a bit of pace in San Sebastián and Burgos, which will probably raise my pulse a lot, but I know the best is to think about the Vuelta a España. I will tackle these two races with a bit of calm and with a longer-term objective."

Re:

Miburo said:
Just say haha, and dacooley is a happy man
for sure I'm happy, as bertie in a virtual mode won the tour in a dominant key. took the yellow jersey on stage 8, smoked froome and bauke fricking mollema at the ventoux and smashed time trials. now he is going to win the vuelta with at least 5 stage wins and make the double. and on that note of optimism I have to wake up. that is not 2009 anymore. sorry I can't help but post this. keep it up with great posting, miburo. your devotion is contagious.

LaFlorecita said:
Jakub said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Froome 11/4
Quintana 4/1

I believe
Bertie 2,25
Froome 2,75
Quintana 4
And these are the best odds you can get, with other bookmakers you will get less money.

Really? I have never betted and most probably never will, but I expect that if you bet for Bertie with rate 9/4 (=2,25/1 = 2,25) you put 1€ and will get 0€ if he loses and 2,25€ if he wins.
If the rate was 1/1 (= it is sure he will win = they don't want to give any money if he wins) you put 1€ and get 1€ if he wins = doesn't make sense to bet. If your system was valid, then you would get 2€ which is ridiculous. Imagine that someone came after stage TdF19 and betted 100 million€ for Froome overall win (rate 1/1) and he gets 200 million € back :D

Jakub said:
LaFlorecita said:
Jakub said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
Froome 11/4
Quintana 4/1

I believe
Bertie 2,25
Froome 2,75
Quintana 4

Really? I have never betted and most probably never will, but I expect that if you bet for Bertie with rate 9/4 (=2,25/1 = 2,25) you put 1€ and will get 0€ if he loses and 2,25€ if he wins.
If the rate was 1/1 (= it is sure he will win = they don't want to give any money if he wins) you put 1€ and get 1€ if he wins = doesn't make sense to bet. If your system was valid, then you would get 2€ which is ridiculous. Imagine that someone came after stage TdF19 and betted 100 million€ for Froome overall win (rate 1/1) and he gets 200 million € back :D

Froome's odds after stage 19 wouldn't have been evens (1/1). The'd be more like 1/10. So you'd have to bet 10 euro to get 11 (10 + 1) euro back. Or you'd have to bet 100 million to get 110 (100 + 10) million back. You'd have to be betting huge stakes to make the bet worthwhile.

OK, so LaFlo was right, my apologies. I didn't know this about the fractional odds and I don't like them at all I must say. The system of 1.0 makes much more sense to me.

the Froome's example would be 0/10 in my opinion, because the in the normal system the odd would be 1.0.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

dacooley said:
Miburo said:
for sure I'm happy, as bertie in a virtual mode won the tour in a dominant key. took the yellow jersey on stage 8, smoked froome and bauke fricking mollema at the ventoux and smashed time trials. now he is going to win the vuelta with at least 5 stage wins and make the double. and on that note of optimism I have to wake up. that is not 2009 anymore. sorry I can't help but post this. keep it up with great posting, miburo. your devotion is contagious.

Sorry but no point discussing since you always back away. Not sure why, you seem so sure about your case.

At least my devotion isn't based on some guy on the internet, i only care about facts not people i don't know.

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site

dacooley said:
Miburo said:

I'm lost with so many Contadors being mentioned in current threads, who is actually the best out of these listed?

1.) Contador 16 post-tour (about to race SS, Burgos, Vuelta)
2.) Virtual Contador 16 (won TdF'16, will win Vuelta'16)
3.) Virtual Contador 14 (won TdF'14)
4.) Virtual Contador 09 (would have won the double easily but somehow didn't)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
You forgot the 2011 Contador who would've won the Tour and completed the double if not for the crashes. Also note that this Contador didn't get to prepare properly which, along with the crashes, amounted in him being as good as Voeckler uphill

Are you sarcastic? :D Voeckler was insane that year :p

Anyways without the crashes and 1.40 min lost on the first day, i think he had a very good chance to win the tour.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
You forgot the 2011 Contador who would've won the Tour and completed the double if not for the crashes. Also note that this Contador didn't get to prepare properly which, along with the crashes, amounted in him being as good as Voeckler uphill

Stop I feel a migraine coming on. Such comments should not be read without an alcoholic beverage accompanied by weeping violins in the background.

Miburo said:
Valv.Piti said:

Are you sarcastic? :D Voeckler was insane that year :p

Anyways without the crashes and 1.40 min lost on the first day, i think he had a very good chance to win the tour.

He was insane relative to his normal level, but hardly a worldbeater and Contador should obviously be able to beat him. If you watch the Pyreneen stages, the level of climbing was very low in 2011 which was why he was able to hang on so long. Only Andy showed top notch climbing that year to Galibier

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Yea you're right, the level was terrible. It really was Contador's chance to do the double, if only he didn't crash and hurt his knee :(

Giro level that year was btw insane, a lot of big names.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Evans isnn't a bad rider though, but in the giro of 2011...I'm not even sure if he podiums it that year. Scarponi was a monster that year (MSR '11 ride) and nibali was pretty good too.

He prob would have i guess, but definitely not even close winning

It looks like we can have a nice GC fight this Vuelta, I really want Conti to win and beat Froome here. As much I want Sagan to race Canadian races this year I would prefer him to help Conti in Vuelta instead.

The question is whether he could he be any help for Conti skipping his resting days and doing Olympic MTBrace.

Being the team owner or DS would you instist Sagan to race Vuelta and help Conti or allow him to ride Can. races?

Is winning the UCI team ranking more that having GT winner and scalp of Froome?

TRENDING THREADS