Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1687 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
LaFlorecita said:
https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/815339143014322176
Haha :D look at the Giro trophy, will he go for the Giro after all? :eek:
Happy New Year to all of Alberto's fans and admirers on the forum, ok and to all other forum members as well :)

Finally he got ride off the stinkin' fluo yellow tinkoff... aaand back to yellow trek... :D

Jul 29, 2012
You don't know anything of cycling if you think 2 years can't be an eternity.

Evans won the tour in 2011, was fodder in 2013 (i'm waiting for someone to bring up that fake ass giro podium).

Purito tour podium in 2013, complete utter dogshit in 2016. That vuelta podium in 2015 saved him I guess but already then he wasn't the same man.

Nibali won the tour in 2014. Not the same man anymore.

There are billions examples of this. I was thinking btw of leaving this forum cause of the biased mods but i'll stay because someone reasonable gotta be in here in the contador thread to make it ok for the normal contador fans to visit this thread.

You can also bring up Gilbert as an example but that's prob clinic related. It can happen at 28,30,32,34.

Who knows, but 2 years is an eternity in cycling (especially cause of the clinic reasons). That's a fact.

Re:

Miburo said:

Evans won the tour in 2011, was fodder in 2013 (i'm waiting for someone to bring up that fake *** giro podium).

Purito tour podium in 2013, complete utter dogshit in 2016. That vuelta podium in 2015 saved him I guess but already then he wasn't the same man.

There are billions examples of this. I was thinking btw of leaving this forum cause of the biased mods but i'll stay because someone reasonable gotta be in here in the contador thread to make it ok for the normal contador fans to visit this thread.

You can also bring up Gilbert as an example but that's prob clinic related. It can happen at 28,30,32,34.

Who knows, but 2 years is an eternity in cycling (especially cause of the clinic reasons). That's a fact.
Oh c'mon, we want overly optimistic Miburo back :(

He is right tho, when it comes to sport, 2 years can definitely be an eternity. I don't necessarily think it is in Contador's instance and I really want to give him one more chance after the shaky Vuelta. He looked very sharp in 2016 on some occasions.

Aug 6, 2015
I really would love to know what contador did after his ban... he lost that spark and he was much better than after his ban. But even this contador, is better than anyone bar froome. How I miss the old contador... he was the best gc man, and the best climber i ever see in my entire life (better than pantani btw)

Re:

portugal11 said:
I really would love to know what contador did after his ban... he lost that spark and he was much better than after his ban. But even this contador, is better than anyone bar froome. How I miss the old contador... he was the best gc man, and the best climber i ever see in my entire life (better than pantani btw)
I think it's rather about what he didn't do ;) :lol:
Joking aside, he was great in 2014, probably as good as before his ban, so I don't think the situation is that simple. But now I guess it's just his age and stronger rivals than pre ban which makes is hard for him.

Aug 6, 2015
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
portugal11 said:
I think it's rather about what he didn't do ;) :lol:
Joking aside, he was great in 2014, probably as good as before his ban, so I don't think the situation is that simple. But now I guess it's just his age and stronger rivals than pre ban which makes is hard for him.
Andy schleck was a great climber, and a better gc man than quintana because andy was more explosive, he didn't suffer too much in windy stages and his downhill skills were pretty good (but he was a bad time trialist). For me the biggest opponent is sky and not froome, of course a pre ban contador would easily destroy froome/sky but now is almost impossible

Aug 6, 2015
This is killing me, miburo is right, two years is too long, imagine what six years (almost seven) is...
In 2014 he was very strong, i think he would have beaten froome in le tour (sky wasn't great, tinkoff was good), but still he wasn't as strong as giro 2011, tour 2009 or even tour 2007

sky and froome are simply stronger and way more agressive than shleck, evans or italians from the 2011 giro. The vintage 2009 Bertie may have beaten froome, but 'destroying easily' sounds a bit fanboyish. the whole thing is a pure speculation though

Aug 6, 2015
Re:

dacooley said:
sky and froome are simply stronger and way more agressive than shleck, evans or italians from the 2011 giro. The vintage 2009 Bertie may have beaten froome, but 'destroying easily' sounds a bit fanboyish. the whole thing is a pure speculation though
Sky is agressive :confused: :confused: :confused:

Re:

dacooley said:
Thanks for pointing that out.

LaFlorecita said:
Happy New Year to all of Alberto's fans and admirers on the forum, ok and to all other forum members as well :)

Contador riding the Giro would be awesome. Not because I particularly want him to win, but it would be brilliant for basically all the main GT contenders to shun the TdF for once. Not going to happen though I think

King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:

Contador riding the Giro would be awesome. Not because I particularly want him to win, but it would be brilliant for basically all the main GT contenders to shun the TdF for once. Not going to happen though I think
He discarded the Giro as an option in the interview I just posted. After all the hints he's been tossing around (changed his profile picture to an image of him in pink ; https://twitter.com/albertocontador/status/784630903339356161 ; https://www.instagram.com/p/BMBIuXYjOoQ/?taken-by=acontadoroficial ; that new year video) I am convinced he just likes to mess with our minds :lol:

Jul 29, 2012
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Miburo said:

Evans won the tour in 2011, was fodder in 2013 (i'm waiting for someone to bring up that fake *** giro podium).

Oh c'mon, we want overly optimistic Miburo back :(

I was never like that, I was always being realistic. Of course that's from my point of view, others might have had different opinions than me but I tried to keep true to the facts. That's the one thing i'll never betray, that's why I always make fun of for example left of right people. They've an agenda, they don't know what truth really means, they're completely blind and the worst thing is that they don't even realise it. That's just sad.

But about Contador, the facts are the facts. You can make up excuses for the vuelta but he thought he was ready, he thought he was good enough. He wasn't, not even close. That's the harsh reality, his level wasn't good enough.

In the entire year we've had 3 good moments. 2 of which were hilly ITT which he's a god in. Even when he's 50 he'll prob can still beat a pro peloton in that area. It's made for him, just like the sport of basketbal was made for MJ and lebron.

Then you've the PN moment which was great but there were too many bad moments aswell. That's the problem, is it age? is it clinic? Is it Tinkov? Is it the coffee? Is it Majka? Is it whoever else the people here can find to blame?

Who knows, but this team is even worse than tinkoff and I don't see how he can win the tour with that team.

He will need to beat Froome and Quintana mano a mano when their teams are godlike, so he'll need to be even better you can argue.

When is the last time he did that?

Time to embrace reality. Does that mean i'm not a Contador fan? Trust me i'm the biggest fan of him here, i'll give a leg if he can win the tour.

But it's not gonna happen. And Contador knows that himself, if he really thought he could win the tour he wouldn't have signed with Trek. He wants more money, i won't blame him for that.

Instead of crying of how great he was a few years ago, i'm grateful for the joy he has given to me. The only thing that still hurts is the tour 2014. My grandchildren will still feel that pain.

Oct 6, 2009
King Boonen said:
LaFlorecita said:

Agree on points 1 and 2. Unfortunately the Tour is too important for the sponsors, but it's sometimes the low point of the year from a sporting standpoint. Too much circus, kind of a relief when it's over.