• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1685 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jspear said:
kingjr said:
Jspear said:
I highly doubt it. Froome can give a pretty good beating to AC on a climb when he's super. Froome might have a not so good day (maybe), but AC probably will as well.
Don't think he can if Contador is at his best. He never has.

But AC will never be at his best again.
I resent defeatism.

If he can get anywhere near to his 2014 form or his 2015 Giro form then he will the man to beat.

kingjr said:
Jspear said:
kingjr said:
Jspear said:
I highly doubt it. Froome can give a pretty good beating to AC on a climb when he's super. Froome might have a not so good day (maybe), but AC probably will as well.

I resent defeatism.

If he can get anywhere near to his 2014 form or his 2015 Giro form then he will the man to beat.
He'll be beaten, you're right.

kingjr said:
Jspear said:
kingjr said:
Jspear said:

I resent defeatism.

The man to beat is Chris Froome. Has been since 2013. If AC is able to get anywhere near his 2014 form, than he could place 2nd in the Tour. If he's able to achieve his 2014 form, then he'll right up there with Froome as a favorite for the win - Anything less than that won't be enough.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
He has zero chance of winning the Tour. I would say he has a small chance of making the podium, but I expect it's most likely he will finish 4th or 5th (if he doesn't crash out).

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Valv.Piti said:
Durden93 said:
Contador can still win the tour. He won the Giro with very little help as recently as 2015. Yes, the Giro is different than the tour, and he wasn't competing against Froome and team sky, but nobody is invincible. I don't think Contador is the favourite, or even the second-most likely winner, but he has a chance.
Agree. He is the one with 3rd best chances of winning, Bardet and Chaves should be relatively close to him, but he isn't that far off of Froome/Quintana either on this route. Needs everything to go his way (which you normally needs to win the TdF, at least if you isn't the outstanding favourite).

Well, not necessarily 3rd, but yes. Porte, Yates, Bardet and Contador are all in that group behind Froome and (slightly) behind Quintana.

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
I sense this is gonna be a fun place for the coming year. Contador better destroy a peloton quickly somewhere
2 months to go.
Better not come up with a Foia performance then. I remember the panic in here. :lol:
Yeah, last spring was funny.
After the first Algarve mtf: This will be 2013 all over again; After the 2nd mtf: he will destroy everyone this year;
After the PN mtf: He is past his prime; After the last PN stage: What a legend;
After the first Catalunya mtf: He looks great; after the 2nd Catalunya mtf: He looks horrible;
After the first Pais Vasco stages: He can't even drop Henao; After the ITT: He's producing his best numbers ever;
After Froome's Dauphine stage win: This is worse than 2013; After the Dauphine: He was way better than he usually is in the Dauphine
:lol:

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
I sense this is gonna be a fun place for the coming year. Contador better destroy a peloton quickly somewhere
2 months to go.
Better not come up with a Foia performance then. I remember the panic in here. :lol:
After the first Algarve mtf: This will be 2013 all over again; After the 2nd mtf: he will destroy everyone this year;
After the first Catalunya mtf: He looks great; after the 2nd Catalunya mtf: He looks horrible;
After the first Pais Vasco stages: He can't even drop Henao; After the ITT: He's producing his best numbers ever;
After Froome's Dauphine stage win: This is worse than 2013; After the Dauphine: He was way better than he usually is in the Dauphine
And opening Dauphine tt?
He's the most exciting rider in peloton. In quantity, as well in quality of thrill he provides.

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
2 months to go.
You forgot; After his Dauphiné stage win: Froome is no match for him :)

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Durden93 said:
Injuries/illness excluded, when was the last time the tour favourite didn't win? Probably 2006, 07, 08, maybe 2011? Point is, upsets happen.

So difficult to say, opinions differ, according to this particular thread the Tour favorite hasn't won in the past 7 years :lol:

LaFlorecita said:
Guybrush said:
LaFlorecita said:
A Trek spokesperson just confirmed Berto won't start his season in Argentina after all
what a pity! :(
Andalucia will be his first race, after that Paris-Nice, Volta a Catalunya and Pais Vasco. I would have loved to see him in Tirreno again, but P-N has the Mont Brouilly ITT.
No Abu Dhabi then? That's good news.

TRENDING THREADS