• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1826 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
I'd say they were still a level above Contador. But only one level, not the two or three we saw at the Dauphine, so I guess that's a kind of positive.
Which is not at all surprising because Contador did not go into the red at the Dauphiné.
Well no, to me its certainly not surprising that he's still a level below Froome and Porte. He's obviously improved from the Dauphine, but still not enough to be on the level of the latest big three I think.
Are you deliberately misinterpreting my post to rile me up or did you misunderstand?

If his goal in 2018 is to win the Giro, then he should retire, because that won't obviously happen. Or, at least, as easily as in 2015.
Otherwise, keep riding however he wants, as long as he's not stating he's coming here and there to win when he simply doesn't have it in him anymore.

LaFlorecita said:
VanBsr said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
6 out of 10. Not sure what I expected.

Martin getting 2nd and distancing Froome, Porte and the others should tell us a little something about how this climb should be interpreted
I have no idea what you're saying here

I think he talk about Martin s perfomance
Right, that must be it
Yeah, sorry, can't make coherent sentences anymore

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
I'd say they were still a level above Contador. But only one level, not the two or three we saw at the Dauphine, so I guess that's a kind of positive.
Which is not at all surprising because Contador did not go into the red at the Dauphiné.
Well no, to me its certainly not surprising that he's still a level below Froome and Porte. He's obviously improved from the Dauphine, but still not enough to be on the level of the latest big three I think.
Are you deliberately misinterpreting my post to rile me up or did you misunderstand?
What i mean is that of course he is better than the Dauphine where he probably didn't go flat out, but he isn't sufficiently better that he has closed the gap that was there to Froome, Porte and Aru.

So it's good that he's closed the gap a bit (even though it's expected - you can never be sure), but it's slightly disappointing that he hasn't closed that gap a bit more.

Re:

lenric said:
If his goal in 2018 is to win the Giro, then he should retire, because that won't obviously happen. Or, at least, as easily as in 2015.
Otherwise, keep riding however he wants, as long as he's not stating he's coming here and there to win when he simply doesn't have it in him anymore.
No, you clearly have no clue what the guy is like because you've got it the wrong way around. When he stops setting ambitious goals for himself, that's when he should retire. Aiming high is what motivates him. He won't be able to turn himself inside out on training, starve himself and spend 3 months a year in isolation on a volcano if his aim is an anonymous top-5.

His seems on good form. The usual signs of fatigue, as we have seen in the last few years, weren't there. The problem is, others look good, too, though Froome not as strong as previous years - or maybe the others just are stronger. Who knows?

LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:
No, you clearly have no clue what the guy is like because you've got it the wrong way around. When he stops setting ambitious goals for himself, that's when he should retire. Aiming high is what motivates him. He won't be able to turn himself inside out on training, starve himself and spend 3 months a year in isolation on a volcano if his aim is an anonymous top-5.

I don't give a damn about the way he thinks, I'm not his wife, nor his friend. That's the thing about reality: it's not changed by your perception of it. You need to understand this, otherwise this is a useless conversation.

He can state how many times he wants that he's getting here and there to win and do whatever he has to do to be at his best. But his best isn't better than others best, no matter what he thinks about it. Hence, he overrates himself.

All the $hit chat about "my numbers are great, almost at 2014 level, whatever etc" seems noise, noise and noise. Nothing more than straw for his fans.

gregrowlerson said:
Cance > TheRest said:
6 seconds lost to Froome/Porte. That could have been a lot worse. Good pacing by Berto. This was uplifting

I agree with this. I am more upbeat than not. At his age a one climb stage is likely to be less favourable to Alberto than a multi mountain one. There is still hope, even for the victory.
I agree. Contador is not the only rider showing signs of his age.

Well, if anything, the way he closed the gap to the group ahead was impressive. He did lose a couple of seconds in the last ramp, which I expected. But the good thing is, that neither Froome nor Porte looked brilliant. I expected Porte to do what Aru did today. Porte seems to have kept the Dauphine shape. All the others have raised it... The Tour might be interesting after all!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Damn I was woefully wrong. Looks like Contador doesn't have anything anymore. But retirement
Some people age well (Valverde example) some people don't. AC seems in the latter. Nothing to feel bad about. Accept and move on. He is not what he used to be. And enough riders are better, that getting into the top 3 is difficult. Such riders like AC are not satisfied with a top 10 or even a podium finish. Ac would say "I used to have trophies for breakfast". So retire

gregrowlerson said:
Cance > TheRest said:
6 seconds lost to Froome/Porte. That could have been a lot worse. Good pacing by Berto. This was uplifting

I agree with this. I am more upbeat than not. At his age a one climb stage is likely to be less favourable to Alberto than a multi mountain one. There is still hope, even for the victory.

He needs to get to the pace and level where Aru was today to podium this Tour, that is the speed where the podium goes at the moment as there are others who will improve during the weeks. Even Aru needs to improve, his pace today is not going to win the race.

lenric said:
LaFlorecita said:
lenric said:

I don't give a damn about the way he thinks, I'm not his wife, nor his friend. That's the thing about reality: it's not changed by your perception of it. You need to understand this, otherwise this is a useless conversation.

He can state how many times he wants that he's getting here and there to win and do whatever he has to do to be at his best. But his best isn't better than others best, no matter what he thinks about it. Hence, he overrates himself.

All the $hit chat about "my numbers are great, almost at 2014 level, whatever etc" seems noise, noise and noise. Nothing more than straw for his fans.
You say if his goal is to win the 2018 Giro he should retire, he should only continue if he doesn't aim to win anymore.
And I say that's dumb not only because it's dumb but also because it doesn't show much knowledge: he does not want to retire and aiming for wins is what motivates him to train. So if his goal is to win, he'll continue, if his goal is to finish 5th, he retires.