• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1858 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:
It's getting a bit embarrassing now for him. Wonder if Trek think they're getting their monies worth.

He's like one of the best cyclist ever so I think that even when he doesn't get the best results this Tour he is good for them marketing wise.

He's probably not being paid the wage of a former big star whose time at the top is over.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
I already thought he was broken mentally after P-N 2017 (in the interview after the final stage of the P-N he was close to tears) where he attacked with 60km out and lost with 2 seconds. He definitely had the hunger in PN but after losing with 2 seconds he may have lost it.
He was definitely a little emotional after PN but I don't think he gets broken very easily. Still all those near losses and now such a **** Tour, it has to gnaw at him. He needs to clear his mind and start again with new goals so it may be better to completely forget about GC, I think he'd quite enjoy being a stage hunter :)

No stage hunting ahead for Contador. Him and TJ still believe they have a few GT's in them. You get more money if you can convince a sponsor of that

DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:
It's getting a bit embarrassing now for him. Wonder if Trek think they're getting their monies worth.

He's like one of the best cyclist ever so I think that even when he doesn't get the best results this Tour he is good for them marketing wise.
Isn't marketing for Trek a bit different than for someone like Astana or Quickstep though? For the latter two teams any publicity is good really - getting their brand name out there.

For a company looking to sell bikes though - I'm not sure it is so good for marketing when most of the time the star rider is on camera, it is when he is crashing or getting dropped.

Obviously crashing and being dropped does not help Trek to sell bikes but I think that his name still works because his career has been amazing and he is just so well known. I mean there is no doubt that putting Contador on advertisement works better than Mollema or Zubeldia.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

Isn't marketing for Trek a bit different than for someone like Astana or Quickstep though? For the latter two teams any publicity is good really - getting their brand name out there.

For a company looking to sell bikes though - I'm not sure it is so good for marketing when most of the time the star rider is on camera, it is when he is crashing or getting dropped.

Exactly ! *** buying a Trek bike. But there are a lot of mugs that go for it

RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

Obviously crashing and being dropped does not help Trek to sell bikes but I think that his name still works because his career has been amazing and he is just so well known. I mean there is no doubt that putting Contador on advertisement works better than Mollema or Zubeldia.
Sure, but he's not on Mollema's or Zubeldia's salary. The question is if he has adequately replaced Cancellara as the face of the brand. I guess in the crashing stakes maybe it is close! But Cancellara won some very big races in his final season and went out more or less at the top.

Also, I guess most people looking to buy a bike will probably only follow pro cycling a bit and only watch the Tour. In which case, unless they have been following cycling for 7+ years, they may only know Contador as the guy who crashes a lot and is sometimes good for a top 5, but who never wins a stage.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

Ridiculous anyway, he does not give a toss what bike he rides !. If I gave him 2 million I could get him to race BMX

DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

Sure, but he's not on Mollema's or Zubeldia's salary. The question is if he has adequately replaced Cancellara as the face of the brand. I guess in the crashing stakes maybe it is close! But Cancellara won some very big races in his final season and went out more or less at the top.

Also, I guess most people looking to buy a bike will probably only follow pro cycling a bit and only watch the Tour. In which case, unless they have been following cycling for 7+ years, they may only know Contador as the guy who crashes a lot and is sometimes good for a top 5, but who never wins a stage.

Good point. He is definitely more recognizable to people who have watched cycling at latest before 2015 Giro so people who have gotten into cycling during the past 2 years might not know much about him.

chiocciolis_calves said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
LaFlorecita said:
Berto crashed twice today, according to Irizar :(
Ffs, crashed 4 times in span of 3 stages :(
He just can't catch a break...

I've always enjoyed watching the guy, but can we please stop with the "bad luck" excuse. You don't crash this many times due to bad luck. It seems like a lot of people need a dose of reality about where Contador is at in his career.
It's not bad luck, most likely it's nerves or a lack of concentration. He might be caught in a never-ending circle of being nervous to crash - crashing because he's nervous.

Zinoviev Letter said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

He's probably not being paid the wage of a former big star whose time at the top is over.
about as much as Cancellara probably

arvc40 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Forever The Best said:
I already thought he was broken mentally after P-N 2017 (in the interview after the final stage of the P-N he was close to tears) where he attacked with 60km out and lost with 2 seconds. He definitely had the hunger in PN but after losing with 2 seconds he may have lost it.
He was definitely a little emotional after PN but I don't think he gets broken very easily. Still all those near losses and now such a **** Tour, it has to gnaw at him. He needs to clear his mind and start again with new goals so it may be better to completely forget about GC, I think he'd quite enjoy being a stage hunter :)

No stage hunting ahead for Contador. Him and TJ still believe they have a few GT's in them. You get more money if you can convince a sponsor of that

TJVG and Contador are like chalk and cheese. BMC would have to be inept to continue with Tejay as a team leader in GTs and keep paying him good money. Contador is more age related and the crashes he avoided previously he can't seem to avoid anymore so even a Contador not at his best doesn't get the chance to show what he can do. I think riders like Contador are too proud to ride to their late thirties as a domestique or as a stage hunter. He is too used to winning and competing at the top level. I would be surprised if he went longer than one more season.

Chris Froome was just asked by danish TV who he expected to attack tomorrow. He answered that guys who have lost time in GC will not be allowed back in the race, and that they will chase after them if they go up the road. Must be a reference to Alberto or Quintana perhaps.

DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

You are that wide of the mark its not funny. A non cycling fan has zero and I mean zero idea of who Cancellara was and what he has achieved. I know at least 10 non cycling and even non TDF cycling fans who have heard of Contador. Trek isn't selling a bike to a non cycling fan? Every cycling fan knows Contador and Cancellara.

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's a bit bizarre how often he crashes at the Tour. Crashes riding in the peloton, crashes down hills. Even tangled with Quintana riding uphill the other day and crashed. It sounded like Quintana reacted in an annoyed manner so he must have thought whatever happened was Contador's fault? Maybe his anticipation and/or reactions just aren't sharp enough.

DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
wheresmybrakes said:

Win or lose Contador will still have the Trek brand over everything, i'm sure they are happy with him, of course they prefer him winning but they took a gamble and they knew publicity with Contador on their bikes was always going to be big

Scarponi said:
You are that wide of the mark its not funny. A non cycling fan has zero and I mean zero idea of who Cancellara was and what he has achieved. I know at least 10 non cycling and even non TDF cycling fans who have heard of Contador. Trek isn't selling a bike to a non cycling fan? Every cycling fan knows Contador and Cancellara.
Great anecdote. I know at least 10 non cycling who have heard of Cancellara. He's a massive personality in Italy, Switzerland and France.

Contador is probably most widely known by non-cyclists either as the guy who had a bust up with Armstrong, or the guy who got caught up in clinic problems. And by those who have watched the Tour in recent years, as the guy who crashes a lot.

LaFlorecita said:
rune1107 said:
Chris Froome was just asked by danish TV who he expected to attack tomorrow. He answered that guys who have lost time in GC will not be allowed back in the race, and that they will chase after them if they go up the road. Must be a reference to Alberto or Quintana perhaps.
:eek:
Honestly, no matter how bad Contador looks atm, it would be foolish to give him even a whiff of a shot at getting back into the game, if it can be avoided.