• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1931 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Man, it is always wonderful seeing his attacking style of riding, but it's only serving as a reminder of how little time we have left to enjoy it, and of the vacuum his absence will leave in the peloton.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

GraftPunk said:
Man, it is always wonderful seeing his attacking style of riding, but it's only serving as a reminder of how little time we have left to enjoy it, and of the vacuum his absence will leave in the peloton.
This... maybe I won't see cycling in the next years because cycling will be super boring without him.

Re:

GraftPunk said:

I'll enjoy it while I can.

Nibali is the only other rider right now willing to risk it all for the win. But some day a bright new face will take the stage and his motto will be Ride for Glory and he will be good enough to back up his mental attitude. Hopefully I'm still around when he arrives!

Melo said:
benzwire said:
Contador is 1 minute to 3rd place Chaves, 1m14s to 2nd place Nibali. The podium is definitely in reach.
I'm glad he took the chance today to gain some time, although it was not a lot gained. He really animated the stage and it was great to see him ride in alone with the roar of the fans. The Vuelta always seems to bring out the best in Contador and the race seems to be quite unpredictable. This will be a fun week coming up!

2m14 to Nibali. But yeah, really impressed with Alberto, hope he's gonna maintain his form through 3rd week.

Yeah, my mistake. It will be an interesting 3rd week for sure.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
- El ciclismo es para valientes?
- Con los potenciómetros cada vez menos

Reporter question: cycling is for the brave?
Alberto's answer: with the powermeters, less and less

Ouch...

Good for him. Hope he keeps on saying it and saying it, because he's right.

This x100

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Alexandre Mignot‏
@AlexandreMignot

Ledanois on @EurosportFrance : "Nicolas (Roche) told me: 'at one point, we looked at each other with Alberto, we winked'.. and there you go"

Even the old warrior Roche wants to be a part of the last few shots of a legend.
Love it :)

Yep. Loved Purito's tweet too. He's such a sweetheart. Cant seem to post it unfortunately

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Alexandre Mignot‏
@AlexandreMignot

Ledanois on @EurosportFrance : "Nicolas (Roche) told me: 'at one point, we looked at each other with Alberto, we winked'.. and there you go"

Even the old warrior Roche wants to be a part of the last few shots of a legend.
Love it :)

Yep. Loved Purito's tweet too. He's such a sweetheart. Cant seem to post it unfortunately

Joaquim Rodríguez @PuritoRodriguez
Por favor @albertocontador no hagas más esto, que al final la depresión que no cogí en 2012 la voy a coger ahora tanto recordarme Fuente Dé!

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
After seeing the Windies near impossible win over England in cricket this week, I must say anything is possible. Sunday's race seems tailor-made for AC, short, sweet and hard, He could crush everyone on that stage. but I don't know what will happen in the next two days esp Saturday. I would like him to even go rogue tomorrow and further discombobulate Froome. I have said before that Contador is Froome's nightmare, not that Contador is in Batman form but Froome seems so frazzled and occupied with the Contador presence that he can't piece together a melody once AC makes a move. Wish they had raced each other in AC's younger days.

Re:

Climber123 said:
He looked really strong on the climb today. Man, that 2:33 is hurting

Yes, what a pity.

Contador fans, what are your expectations for the ITT? In the 2015 Giro he stamped his authority on the race with a scintillating performance; a repeat would put him in prime position for a podium. I believe he can pull a minute off of Chavez, although Nibali is a much more formidable opponent

Re:

jilbiker said:
After seeing the Windies near impossible win over England in cricket this week, I must say anything is possible. Sunday's race seems tailor-made for AC, short, sweet and hard, He could crush everyone on that stage. but I don't know what will happen in the next two days esp Saturday. I would like him to even go rogue tomorrow and further discombobulate Froome. I have said before that Contador is Froome's nightmare, not that Contador is in Batman form but Froome seems so frazzled and occupied with the Contador presence that he can't piece together a melody once AC makes a move. Wish they had raced each other in AC's younger days.

More like letting Contador attack without chasing because he isn`t dangerous in the GC...without the technical AC would have been caught the moment Sky started chasing seriously. Froome waited for other opponent to start chasing and had a technical but nothing AC did makes me believe that he can bother Froome or even Nibali.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site

Amazinmets87 said:
Climber123 said:

Yes, what a pity.

Contador fans, what are your expectations for the ITT? In the 2015 Giro he stamped his authority on the race with a scintillating performance; a repeat would put him in prime position for a podium. I believe he can pull a minute off of Chavez, although Nibali is a much more formidable opponent

That was a supreme time trial, if he can pull off something similar he will be close to Froome. I don't know, he has great legs at the moment so yeah I would say 20-30s on Nibali and Kelderman. 1:00-2:00 on the rest, difficult to say.

Personally, I think stages 15 and 16 are where he will make his jump in the GC. I believe he will do a great TT, and hopefully a Foix-esque performance on stage 15. The question is if he can maintain the seconds gained in the TT in the last week. I would say his podium chances are 50/50 right now, but it is shaping up to be a nice second half of the Vuelta!

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re:

jilbiker said:
Alberto would have murdered froome. Pre ban contador is probably in top3 of all times best climbers and he always (pre ban) was top10 in flat time trials. In hilly time trials he is just a monster and significantly better than anyone else (in 2007-2011).

Amazinmets87 said:
Climber123 said:

Yes, what a pity.

For the ITT? Alberto Contador will win that bike race.

Nah but he'll top 10 for sure in this field, and probably beat everyone except for Froome and maybe Nibali. Probably lose less than 1'30" to Froome, last year he lost under 2 minutes when he was sh!te.

Red Rick said:
Amazinmets87 said:
Climber123 said:

Yes, what a pity.

For the ITT? Alberto Contador will win that bike race.

Nah but he'll top 10 for sure in this field, and probably beat everyone except for Froome and maybe Nibali. Probably lose less than 1'30" to Froome, last year he lost under 2 minutes when he was ****.
Tbf, I don't think he was that much worse last year. His performances on muritos was really good, just like this year. However I think Froome's TT will be worse, comparing his TT performances from this year with the ones from last year.

Generally, I think he'll do fine in the TT. He is nowhere near as good in flat ITT's as in hilly ITT's, but he will still gain time on most other gc contenders.

portugal11 said:
jilbiker said:
Alberto would have murdered froome. Pre ban contador is probably in top3 of all times best climbers and he always (pre ban) was top10 in flat time trials. In hilly time trials he is just a monster and significantly better than anyone else (in 2007-2011).
We are lucky those times are gone...yes, and Ricco was a superclimber :D

Froome had nothing to do with that Contador, with that Mayo, with that Lance, with that Zubeldia,...yes, we agree.