Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1930 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
I wonder if his employers would think the same.
His employers were willing to do anything to keep him for next year, despite the lack of wins.
Why? Because he's extremely professional, lifts any team to a higher level, will get huge media attention no matter what, is still one of the biggest brands in cycling and provides very detailed feedback on sponsors' products, which is extremely important to them.
 
Aug 26, 2014
2,148
0
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
wheresmybrakes said:
I wonder if his employers would think the same.
His employers were willing to do anything to keep him for next year, despite the lack of wins.
Why? Because he's extremely professional, lifts any team to a higher level, will get huge media attention no matter what, is still one of the biggest brands in cycling and provides very detailed feedback on sponsors' products, which is extremely important to them.
His employers will be delighted! They have record breaking crowds around the bus. A team leader who is apparently adored by fans and respected by even his past detractors for what he brings to the sport, (apparently whether he wins or not). Their bikes are associated with a great champion who has won pretty much everything, and now shows courage and grit and tenacity beyond a lot of the younger riders who also raced the Tour, even as age catches up. A win is a cherry, at most - as LaFlo says, its the narrative that's important. He's honouring himself, the team, the race and the fans and fighting to the bitter end. No one is going to remember that he finished 4th on GC or 6th. I'm not sure whether they'll really remember a stage win unless it's an epic stage, like Angliru. If I were Trek I'd merely be encouraging him to enjoy himself each day, do what he feels, and take every opportunity to light up the race.
 
Apr 15, 2016
179
0
0
Re:

GraftPunk said:
Let him go down as the wolf, not the lamb; he doesn't owe us anything at this point.
and not surprisingly he will stay true to himself and be a wolf til the end

I`m still holding out hope he changes his mind and comes back to do the Giro & Vuelta next year . I`m not ready for him to retire and believe he still has at least one more competitive season in him .
 
Berto! Keeping everyone on the edge of their seats!
A really big effort for 21s, hopefully it doesn't hurt him this weekend...
Theuns was amazing, without him Berto would easily have been caught. It's a shame Nico couldn't hang on.
Great great ride by our champion :)
 
Re:

PremierAndrew said:
How anyone can complain about Theuns today is beyond me

He potentially sacrificed a stage win there
No he didn't, he got dropped really early, the 2nd group lost big time to Marczynski, Theuns would have lost at least double.
They wouldn't have made Theuns wait if he was in with a chance for the stage.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
How anyone can complain about Theuns today is beyond me

He potentially sacrificed a stage win there
No he didn't, he got dropped really early, the 2nd group lost big time to Marczynski, Theuns would have lost at least double.
They wouldn't have made Theuns wait if he was in with a chance for the stage.
I know this was far far harder than anything in Eneco but no way Theuns drops that early unless he's having to wait for a team leader behind. Okay, maybe he told the team he wasn't on a good day, but still, he could have caught up on the downhill if nothing else, and a stage win was definitely on the cards
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
I know this was far far harder than anything in Eneco but no way Theuns drops that early unless he's having to wait for a team leader behind. Okay, maybe he told the team he wasn't on a good day, but still, he could have caught up on the downhill if nothing else, and a stage win was definitely on the cards
He dropped together with most of the big guys (except for Rojas, all of them actually), so I don't think he dropped deliberately.
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
How anyone can complain about Theuns today is beyond me

He potentially sacrificed a stage win there
No he didn't, he got dropped really early, the 2nd group lost big time to Marczynski, Theuns would have lost at least double.
They wouldn't have made Theuns wait if he was in with a chance for the stage.
I know this was far far harder than anything in Eneco but no way Theuns drops that early unless he's having to wait for a team leader behind. Okay, maybe he told the team he wasn't on a good day, but still, he could have caught up on the downhill if nothing else, and a stage win was definitely on the cards
Even if he'd been allowed to ride for himself, odds are that he would at best have been able to follow the chase group with Rojas etc. Considering that this group was no where close to catching Marczynski, I'd say he did not miss out on the stage win today.
 
Aug 6, 2015
4,139
1
0
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
portugal11 said:
He was dropped by contador on a flat section. He didn't go hard in the final climb and still was able to drop
He pushed really hard between the summit and 3km to go. You're unfair to him.
That was the descent. Pulling when you go downhill is not that hard. Theuns is a endurance rider, his favourite races are the cobbled classics so his performance was really weak
 
Re: Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
PremierAndrew said:
LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
How anyone can complain about Theuns today is beyond me

He potentially sacrificed a stage win there
No he didn't, he got dropped really early, the 2nd group lost big time to Marczynski, Theuns would have lost at least double.
They wouldn't have made Theuns wait if he was in with a chance for the stage.
I know this was far far harder than anything in Eneco but no way Theuns drops that early unless he's having to wait for a team leader behind. Okay, maybe he told the team he wasn't on a good day, but still, he could have caught up on the downhill if nothing else, and a stage win was definitely on the cards
Even if he'd been allowed to ride for himself, odds are that he would at best have been able to follow the chase group with Rojas etc. Considering that this group was no where close to catching Marczynski, I'd say he did not miss out on the stage win today.
Realistically, yeah, he wouldn't have won today but my point is Trek didn't know that at the time.
 
Contador is 1 minute to 3rd place Chaves, 1m14s to 2nd place Nibali (EDIT: 2m14s to Nibali). The podium is definitely in reach.
I'm glad he took the chance today to gain some time, although it was not a lot gained. He really animated the stage and it was great to see him ride in alone with the roar of the fans. The Vuelta always seems to bring out the best in Contador and the race seems to be quite unpredictable. This will be a fun week coming up!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY