• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wow it'll be hard or maybe even impossible to beat Wiggins, Nibali, Schleck and Froome in top shape.
I'm cool with this decision as I was first afraid that he had lost the ambition to try something bigger than what he has now. Only downside for now is that Majka won't get free reign at the Giro.

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I think it comes down to F***ing awesome!!!

I don't think it's beyond him, remember he placed 5th after the hardest Giro in many years after some early bad luck, all going well he could nail this!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I'm sorry to say this... but he won't ride il Giro, at least he hasn't confirmed it... so Andy still doesn't have a chance to win le tour :D

You know my prediction regarding Tour with or without Contador.

I'm extremely surprised but apparently having already 2 tdf titles he is eager to try the double asap cos' the age will play against him more and more later.

airstream said:
You know my prediction regarding Tour with or without Contador.

I'm extremely surprised but apparently having already 2 tdf titles he is eager to try the double asap cos' the age will play against him more and more later.

3* tdf titles since you are trying to see this from Alberto's perspective.

And there is no reason to be surprised because he hasn't confirmed anything, just said the same thing he's been saying since the giro presentation.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
3* tdf titles since you are trying to see this from Alberto's perspective.

And there is no reason to be surprised because he hasn't confirmed anything, just said the same thing he's been saying since the giro presentation.

Now it smells like a bigger certainty, considering that riders usually decide their participation in the 1st GT of the season in advance. He might think about Vuelta until mid-August and this would be OK. The Giro demands special racing calendar.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
no because he never said he'll ride two GTs. He said that IF he'll ride two GTs, it will be Giro-Tour.

I will interpet this situation differently. Don't worry. :p

I don't say the Giro-Tour double is impossible to achieve. But many many things should add up.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Airstream in this.It is more certain now.

Also I think Giro win is very likely.IMO he will lose about 1-1:30 in TT to Wiggins but will gain more than 2 minutes in mountains.And if he wants to win the Tour,he should keep some of the energy inside,play smart on Wiggo you know,becouse Froomey and Andy aare tough opponents.
Just do it Alberto I want to see some crazy racing,have fun:D

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Considering Contadors age, targeting Giro-Tour now might be the best decision. If he really wants to win the Giro-Tour double in his career than he might as well do it sooner rather than later. If he waits to attempt it he could run into the problem of age and not be as good as he would have been if he had attempted it earlier.

Either way I think it's good that he is thinking of attempting it. Chapeau for just seriously considering it.

TRENDING THREADS