• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2005 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-think-froome-can-win-the-tour-and-bernal-the-giro/?fbclid=IwAR0krYoytZyzu8mjx0gbpezZ9bsUGQAytQ3e_4f1DyLxsvKYclb9r47qvJA

He isn't wrong. No one has raced like he did. Then again, to defend the current riders, none of them really have the class (no offense) nor the win-or-die attitude to expect them to ride aggressively. It is easier to have this attitude, when you have won so much, that a podium doesn't matter at all. I wish though, that podiums didn't matter in the first place. I get that standing on the podium as 3rd in Paris is nice and all, but wouldn't one be standing there thinking in the back of one's mind "what if I had rolled the dice on that stage?". Sometimes great victories come with great sacrifice (such as being ready to give up a podium spot). I wish Contador, or at least his spirit, would still be in the peloton right now.

Re:

Simurgh said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-think-froome-can-win-the-tour-and-bernal-the-giro/?fbclid=IwAR0krYoytZyzu8mjx0gbpezZ9bsUGQAytQ3e_4f1DyLxsvKYclb9r47qvJA

He isn't wrong. No one has raced like he did. Then again, to defend the current riders, none of them really have the class (no offense) nor the win-or-die attitude to expect them to ride aggressively. It is easier to have this attitude, when you have won so much, that a podium doesn't matter at all. I wish though, that podiums didn't matter in the first place. I get that standing on the podium as 3rd in Paris is nice and all, but wouldn't one be standing there thinking in the back of one's mind "what if I had rolled the dice on that stage?". Sometimes great victories come with great sacrifice (such as being ready to give up a podium spot). I wish Contador, or at least his spirit, would still be in the peloton right now.

+100

You have to have the legs and results to back up your aggression or it is a moot point.
Only Nibali can even be considered as coming close to Contador in spirit and creating the result.

Re:

Frankschleck said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-think-froome-can-win-the-tour-and-bernal-the-giro/

"There are a lot of strong riders out there but not one that raced like I did."

He is right. Kruijsweak showed this year he had more balls than contador ever had. And to be honest as much as i hate to say it Froome put in a better attackive preformance than you ever did. Normally like Contador but he lost some points there for me.
:rolleyes:

Re:

Frankschleck said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-think-froome-can-win-the-tour-and-bernal-the-giro/

He is right. Kruijsweak showed this year he had more balls than contador ever had. And to be honest as much as i hate to say it Froome put in a better attackive preformance than you ever did. Normally like Contador but he lost some points there for me.

Kruijswijk didn't show that. Yes, it was a long range attack, but I would argue, that it was more to help the true captain, Roglic, than to go for personal glory (although he sure would be happy if he'd won!).
Besides, SKY let Kruijswijk go, because he doesn't have nearly the same class as Contador. Kruijswijk got a lot of leeway, because SKY knew that they could catch him with their 3rd best domestique, if they wanted to. I like him, and feel a lot of sympathy for him, especially after that Giro, but no one would argue, that he is more than a 3rd tier rider at best. Which is another reason for letting him go.
So to say that Kruijswijk has a lot more balls than Contador ever had is like saying that Thomas de Gendt has more balls than Contador, because he always attacks. No offense.

I knew someone would mention Froome, eventually. Yes, it was an attack, a very long range one too, and he succeeded! But he was so ridiculously strong that day, that it wasn't balls either, but raw (i wouldn't say pure because it stinked of the forbidden word) strength. I know that you didn't mention this, but I feel its implied. For me, I enjoyed Froome's Finestre-Jafferau coup as much as his Ax-3 or his Pierre Saint Martin performances. Which means not at all. Because it was obvious how it would end. Bennett's instinctive reaction after that stage, in which he uttered the 3 famous words, summed it up perfectly.

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Simurgh said:

+100

You have to have the legs and results to back up your aggression or it is a moot point.
Only Nibali can even be considered as coming close to Contador in spirit and creating the result.

Except Froome smashes the both of them

Vintage Contador (2007 or ‘09) would win against a top Froome. I wouldn’t say destroy, but win. It’s just speculation though, and based on Verbier, which was crazy: Highest VAM measured. It was his Ax 3 or Pierre Saint Martin. But I’m in the middle of an exam assignment, so this discussion I won’t jump into today ;)

Simurgh said:
Vintage Contador (2007 or ‘09) would win against a top Froome. I wouldn’t say destroy, but win. It’s just speculation though, and based on Verbier, which was crazy: Highest VAM measured. It was his Ax 3 or Pierre Saint Martin. But I’m in the middle of an exam assignment, so this discussion I won’t jump into today ;)

I've always been of the opinion that Contador is the best climber of my years watching. So yeah would expect him to take time in the high mountains. Froome would take time back in the TT though.

I do wonder how aggressive he would be if he had the Sky train in front of him . Only time he's had a team in that ball park was Astana 09 which is a whole other ball game obviously.

Midnightfright said:
Simurgh said:

I've always been of the opinion that Contador is the best climber of my years watching. So yeah would expect him to take time in the high mountains. Froome would take time back in the TT though.

I do wonder how aggressive he would be if he had the Sky train in front of him . Only time he's had a team in that ball park was Astana 09 which is a whole other ball game obviously.
Obviously Alberto wouldn't have been just as aggressive if he had a better team, or if he had been stronger vs. Froome/his other late-career rivals. But even when he was young (i.e. pre-TDF2007) he was already known as an attacking rider, and during his best years, when he was dominant, he also attacked many times and never gave up. He just didn't have to try from a distance. He is right to say that there is no one who rides with the same attitude as him. Sure, some will try daring attacks at times, but their riding isn't in the same spirit.

The key is nobody has his talent and riding spirit. There are only 2-3 people even in his realm as a climber.

There are guys who have one or the other but not both. That's not something to be ashamed of, but even as not a huge fan of his it is really missed

Simurgh said:
Frankschleck said:

Kruijswijk didn't show that. Yes, it was a long range attack, but I would argue, that it was more to help the true captain, Roglic, than to go for personal glory (although he sure would be happy if he'd won!).
Besides, SKY let Kruijswijk go, because he doesn't have nearly the same class as Contador. Kruijswijk got a lot of leeway, because SKY knew that they could catch him with their 3rd best domestique, if they wanted to. I like him, and feel a lot of sympathy for him, especially after that Giro, but no one would argue, that he is more than a 3rd tier rider at best. Which is another reason for letting him go.
So to say that Kruijswijk has a lot more balls than Contador ever had is like saying that Thomas de Gendt has more balls than Contador, because he always attacks. No offense.

I knew someone would mention Froome, eventually. Yes, it was an attack, a very long range one too, and he succeeded! But he was so ridiculously strong that day, that it wasn't balls either, but raw (i wouldn't say pure because it stinked of the forbidden word) strength. I know that you didn't mention this, but I feel its implied. For me, I enjoyed Froome's Finestre-Jafferau coup as much as his Ax-3 or his Pierre Saint Martin performances. Which means not at all. Because it was obvious how it would end. Bennett's instinctive reaction after that stage, in which he uttered the 3 famous words, summed it up perfectly.

Kruijswik had everything to lose though. He was lucky he made it so far that he held onto his top 10, but imagine if they had gotten to him before the Alp. Just think how big a podium would have been for krujiswek. Not saying he would finish on the podium but you can't compare it to De Gendt. He has nothing to lose when he goes. Of course no doubt Contador was a better bikerider than Kruijswik and a fantastic attackive rider, but can't really see how he races more attackive or with more class than Kruijswik or froome to be honestly. And Froome was balls as well. He raced to win and not for the podium and he also risked breaking down and losing everything. Froome does not get credit for his attackive style, which of course is because he rides for Sky and most people hate him. But he is also very aggresive and almost always go for the win like contador.

rick james said:
Red Rick said:
This is absolutely a discussion I want to spend a larger amount of time in my life on. It's really gonna add to my quality of life.
well don't join in..
I am genuinely concerned for you Rick. What are you going to do when your English boys disappear in a couple of years or less? Can't see you supporting an Aussie team, ps I think your Rangers boys might just win the SPL.

ferryman said:
rick james said:
Red Rick said:
This is absolutely a discussion I want to spend a larger amount of time in my life on. It's really gonna add to my quality of life.
well don't join in..
I am genuinely concerned for you Rick. What are you going to do when your English boys disappear in a couple of years or less? Can't see you supporting an Aussie team, ps I think your Rangers boys might just win the SPL.
why not an Aussie team? they are a fine outpost of the British Empire :)

And if we turn up like we did at the last Old firm then it wil be a close fight....

If said it before i liked Bertie (he's a dog lover whats not to like about that)its the way some of his fans go on that gets me

Simurgh said:
Frankschleck said:

Huge Contador fan here, but also a fan of coherence and reason. So basically, Kruijswijk doesn't count because he was weaker than Contador and Froome doesn't count because he was stronger than Contador...? Come on, credit where credit's due. You're applying retrospective knowledge to judge the actors of the event. You don't know you're stronger than others until you test them. And it takes balls to do so. Dumo made tactical errors, IMO, that lost him that Giro. He was weaker than Froome and might have lost it the next day regardless, but he did not show the same panache that Froome did. Also, before that stage, Yates had seemed invincible. If you place yourself at the point in time of the attack, the panache is more apparent.

Funniest thing about Kruijswijk is that a week later he had the super obvious move he could follow on the Tourmalet and he didn't, which led to Jumbo having to chase down a breakaway instead of putting pressure on Sky.

If anything, Contador isn't praised for making one brave attack, it's for trying every single time, even conjuring up some raids when he didn't necessarily have the legs.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Funniest thing about Kruijswijk is that a week later he had the super obvious move he could follow on the Tourmalet and he didn't, which led to Jumbo having to chase down a breakaway instead of putting pressure on Sky.

If anything, Contador isn't praised for making one brave attack, it's for trying every single time, even conjuring up some raids when he didn't necessarily have the legs.

Totally, and I’m not discounting that. Contador has panache in spades. He also had a winner’s mentality. He went for it every time. There were times when it was frustrating as a Contador fan. It didn’t always seem smart, but it was always beautiful. Froome consistently attacks for victory, too, and, IMO, is a worthy champion. Not my favorite. Not Contador. But it would be disingenuous to suggest he’s not an attacking rider. He’s done it when he’s the strongest (2013, 2015 Tours), when he’s not (2014 Vuelta) and when it’s unclear if he is or isn’t (2016/2017 Tours, 2018 Giro).

TRENDING THREADS