• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2006 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Funniest thing about Kruijswijk is that a week later he had the super obvious move he could follow on the Tourmalet and he didn't, which led to Jumbo having to chase down a breakaway instead of putting pressure on Sky.

If anything, Contador isn't praised for making one brave attack, it's for trying every single time, even conjuring up some raids when he didn't necessarily have the legs.

Even trying raids when he not only didn't have the legs, but was really too injuried to even still be racing. (See 2016 Tour on the stage he ended up abandoning the race.)

Scarponi said:
Posted on Instagram a video of 2014 Dauphine of Froomes attack and him following with the caption “biggest attack I faced “ (paraphrased) probably
Forgets how much pain Rasmussen put on him
The best display of Froome vs Contador. I could not believe what was happening
Regarding Rasmussen i remember Contador attacking Rasmussen and him trying to desperately follow. Not the other way around

IndianCyclist said:
Scarponi said:
Posted on Instagram a video of 2014 Dauphine of Froomes attack and him following with the caption “biggest attack I faced “ (paraphrased) probably
Regarding Rasmussen i remember Contador attacking Rasmussen and him trying to desperately follow. Not the other way around
Then rewatch the Aubisque stage. That was mano-a-mano stuff of legends.

Squire said:
IndianCyclist said:
Scarponi said:
Then rewatch the Aubisque stage. That was mano-a-mano stuff of legends.
It was mostly just Rasmussen following and owning him on the last kilometer when Conta had no more fuel left after attacking left and right for the past three days tbh.

No idea where the Aubisque hype is coming from recently. I mean it was a good stage, but iirc Contador didn't really look like he was dropping Rasmussen at any point, and actually I think Leipheimer attacked almost as often as Contador did that day which is a massively weird thing to write.

About the Froome comparison, you have to give Froome credit for the way he races but comparing his attacks with Contador's is like an Apples, Oranges comparison. Yeah, Froome couldn't have known his Finestre attack was gonna work the way it did but he surely knew his legs were good that day. This was still a more or less calculated move and to be fair, that's how Froome wins most of his races but it also means that this attack didn't quite give me the Contador vibes, because for every succesful Contador long range attack that worked I can give you two or three that failed. I mean even Contador's crown jewel, the Fuente De stage was a case of him catching everyone off guard, profiting from his opponents weak team and a bad day of that same opponent, being helped by a former teammate and finally still only winning the stage by a matter of seconds. Now I've heard people going on about how that attack wasn't actually that great because he didn't win that Vuelta by being the strongest, but that's exactly the point. Froome attacking like a madman on the Col du Beal was amazing and in general he has put up big shows on mountain top finishes many times, but domination isn't what appeals to me. It's not a coincidence that I started to like Contador more and more the less succesful he got, because that was when you really started to see what he was made of. No other rider of a similar calibre in this generation races the way Contador did and nobody even gets near.

Gigs_98 said:
No idea where the Aubisque hype is coming from recently. I mean it was a good stage, but iirc Contador didn't really look like he was dropping Rasmussen at any point, and actually I think Leipheimer attacked almost as often as Contador did that day which is a massively weird thing to write.

About the Froome comparison, you have to give Froome credit for the way he races but comparing his attacks with Contador's is like an Apples, Oranges comparison. Yeah, Froome couldn't have known his Finestre attack was gonna work the way it did but he surely knew his legs were good that day. This was still a more or less calculated move and to be fair, that's how Froome wins most of his races but it also means that this attack didn't quite give me the Contador vibes, because for every succesful Contador long range attack that worked I can give you two or three that failed. I mean even Contador's crown jewel, the Fuente De stage was a case of him catching everyone off guard, profiting from his opponents weak team and a bad day of that same opponent, being helped by a former teammate and finally still only winning the stage by a matter of seconds. Now I've heard people going on about how that attack wasn't actually that great because he didn't win that Vuelta by being the strongest, but that's exactly the point. Froome attacking like a madman on the Col du Beal was amazing and in general he has put up big shows on mountain top finishes many times, but domination isn't what appeals to me. It's not a coincidence that I started to like Contador more and more the less succesful he got, because that was when you really started to see what he was made of. No other rider of a similar calibre in this generation races the way Contador did and nobody even gets near.
Hey now, Bardet shouts of the rooftop he tried everything every year.

Gigs_98 said:

What's in your avatar? ;)

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
No ones talking about Contador and Giro yet?
I did not expect a new puppy so soon after Tour died but it seems it was a gift from Ivan Basso.
It is so cute.
Tour died? :(
Oh yeah a couple weeks ago
Alberto posted a video on his Instagram page
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJGQ9IgwXT/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=16xwb4p7kjp40

Sad times :(
Why did he die?
Who allowed him to die?

sir fly said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
VayaVayaVaya said:
No ones talking about Contador and Giro yet?
I did not expect a new puppy so soon after Tour died but it seems it was a gift from Ivan Basso.
It is so cute.
Tour died? :(
Oh yeah a couple weeks ago
Alberto posted a video on his Instagram page
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJGQ9IgwXT/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=16xwb4p7kjp40

Sad times :(
Why did he die?
Who allowed him to die?

It got contaminated :(

Happy days with the new fur baby
50703206_379059705982323_2005129829916915706_n.jpg

51039992_148553499477465_7759971895798301136_n.jpg

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
gregrowlerson said:
Nice to see that Alberto was never really "the second place is no good" guy, posting passionately on social media today about one of his epic last stage - ultimately 'failed' - attacks in the race to the sun.

For me, better than Formigal! :)
It's fighting for the win that is good. Not the 2nd place.
Yeah, like if he had been happy with 2nd places he wouldn't have attacked in the first place

Re:

Koronin said:
Here's a link for an interview with Alberto. It's in Spanish. There's a brief part that is written. The video isn't available in all countries, so whoever can watch it, here's the link.
https://video.eurosport.es/ciclismo/contador-en-eurosport-la-caida-que-hizo-que-alberto-decidiese-retirarse-definitivamente_vid1176728/video.shtml

Google transblate
The last Tour I finished it very strong, but hey, the fall of the 9th stage was the one that made me make the final decision.
I had 98% clear that I had offers on the table.
But my brother said to [me]: 'Make up something to delay the signing, I do not want to sign until the end of the Tour'. You had to start thinking about a change of life, enjoy the bike in a more relaxed way ".

Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Koronin said:
Here's a link for an interview with Alberto. It's in Spanish. There's a brief part that is written. The video isn't available in all countries, so whoever can watch it, here's the link.
https://video.eurosport.es/ciclismo/contador-en-eurosport-la-caida-que-hizo-que-alberto-decidiese-retirarse-definitivamente_vid1176728/video.shtml

Google transblate
The last Tour I finished it very strong, but hey, the fall of the 9th stage was the one that made me make the final decision.
I had 98% clear that I had offers on the table.
But my brother said to [me]: 'Make up something to delay the signing, I do not want to sign until the end of the Tour'. You had to start thinking about a change of life, enjoy the bike in a more relaxed way ".

He finished it stronger than he started it, that's for sure, but even in the Izoard stage he was unimpressive (Meintjes finished in front of him :( ), especially comparing it to the following Vuelta or the spring. But whatever, bygones are bygones, it was fun while it lasted! Thank God, that Pinot and Simon Yates has taken up the mantle :D

TRENDING THREADS