• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 202 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Angliru said:
If one's goal is to do well in the Giro and the Tour, it seems that it would be logical to alter their preparation and come into the season below the form of previous years. To expect him to be blasting everyone off of his wheel this early with such an ambitious season ahead is not the thinking of a rational mind.

What are you trying to say :D

I don't think Alberto will ride Giro and tour.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Such a TT is Contador's hobbyhorse since junior age. There are not so many guys of decent TT level that he could be out of top 20.

I don't think anyone predicted he would have been 13th yesterday.

Not even you.

And a Contador in pretty 'bad' shape still can climb on a decent level but his TT usually suffers then way more.

eg. san luis 2012/Tour 2010/ DL 2010

airstream said:
In my view, you take it easy too much. Wiggins is not just a diesel. Wiggins of 2012 is not Levi Leipheimer, early Evans. It is the strongest diesel of GT contenders. It is a type of climber we've never seen before maybe. Does elite climber have to be explosive to be a superclimber? Again, explosiveness is additional options, but it is not the result. Tactics of steady pursuit can reach brilliant results too. Discussing with you, we kind of hit invicible wall. You deify attacking style whereas it is just an instrument. Do you seriously think Contador would gain on Wiggins 3-4 minutes on the 2012 Giro climbs?

There was no gulf between climber Contador and climber Wiggins in 2009 yet. Оver the years years this gap has obviously reduced.

No climber is able to commit these blistering attacks 4-5 times in a GT, gaining much times in all of them. While on form, Wiggins can hold say 2 minutes obtained in TTs.

Do you admit variants that this not spectacular parade-like hated by many people cycling can not allow to be Contador and Schleck 'super'? I just believe numbers more than names and palmares. Based on the numbers, Sky were very strong in the Tour.

I don't understand why you throw away the fact that superclimber is always able to defend himself in a steady tempo. Accelerations never last really long. It lasts 200-300 meters and then a time trial in a road race starts virtually. Yes, naturally, inherit climber can fire again and again, but this manner is fraught with its disadvantages too, because a climber can not rider steadily.

I didn't mean routes that contradistinguish so much. Parcours is relevant and Wiggins wouldn't have won the Giro 2011 Giro. But say I don't see principal differences in parcours of Tours since 2003 up to the present times. My parcours thesis related to comparison between the 2012 Tour and the 2013 Giro. The Giro parcours lowers Wiggins chances, but don't neutralizes them.

How much stronger was Froome if he could have raced for himself is for debate too. There was no shame to be beaten by Froome at all. He is not an accidental man. He is new superstar, a climber of Schleck's and Contador's calibre.

Well, you just keep rooting for Wiggo then. He certainly has a big engine, though I don't know if he's quite all that you say he is above. Certainly this season will offer some epic battles between he and Contador (as well as a number of other killers), which will make for spectacular racing if nothing else, and may the best man win as they say.

before start of stage 3

ciclismonatural_00a_670.jpg

:eek:

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
I don't think anyone predicted he would have been 13th yesterday.

Not even you.

And a Contador in pretty 'bad' shape still can climb on a decent level but his TT usually suffers then way more.

eg. san luis 2012/Tour 2010/ DL 2010

I disagree partially. His long TT may suffer from not perfect preparation. But 10-20 km is his bread originally. Last year's SantLuis TT propably was the only case where he disappointed in this regard.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
I disagree partially. His long TT may suffer from not perfect preparation. But 10-20 km is his bread originally. Last year's SantLuis TT propably was the only case where he disappointed in this regard.

That's true but the TT was in january and if i'm not mistaken it's only one he has ever done in january.

Because then he really lacks form, still he managed to win 2 MTF pure on his climbing talent.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
January results shouldn't be taken seriously, especially for GC contenders like Contador. Maybe for a classics rider yeah... For example, Contador getting dropped on a mountain stage in January by some unknown cyclist really means nothing. If anything you should be glad he's taking a slow start of the season if he really wants to compete in 2 GTs this year.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
peloton said:
You tell me. He turns 31 in December.

He has won more GT's than Evans and Wiggins, whom both won their first GT over 30 yrs..
:rolleyes:

Believe, to find arguments for the opposite version is not difficult... :)