Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 24, 2011
467
0
0
Vino attacks everyone said:
too many threads i guess ;)
oh! so they've been merged :D
bright me
reasonable.

btw i like what "type of person" u are. i seem to recall that u are (also) a fan of Emma Stone. but thats not her is she?

and no more off topic posts laflorecita
 
woodenswan said:
yeah i can see that
what i wanna know is the why
also, "appreciation ones have changed titles" -->thats very funny. u talk about them as they were separate entities capable of changing on their own :D:D
im not worried about effects. just simple curiosity. it seems like someone got really fed up with those titles and made a concentrated effort to kill 'em off. it's the reason for this curious act of cruelty that im unable to fathom.
Yes it was very cruel, they also changed this thread but it wasn't an appreciation thread but still they changed it :mad: But the reason they changed the titles of all appreciation threads was "there is no appreciation without depreciation" and people were complaining about off topic in the appreciation threads. And this wasn't an appreciation thread it was an Alberto love thread and now all haters can also post in it. :mad:
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,594
0
0
Biggut said:
I don't HATE Contador. I just think he is a cheat and should be regarded as dishonest and unworthy of any acclaim for past victories.
Going into clinic stuff here, but did u even bother to read the CAS verdict? That might change your view. I basically ruled doping as the source of clen to be very unlikely. But lets keep that for the clinic forum
 
Apr 16, 2009
394
0
0
Cimber said:
Going into clinic stuff here, but did u even bother to read the CAS verdict? That might change your view. I basically ruled doping as the source of clen to be very unlikely. But lets keep that for the clinic forum
Did you read what Dr Michael Ashenden said about Contador? We can leave that for the clinic as well...
 
May 30, 2009
109
0
0
biker jk said:
Did you read what Dr Michael Ashenden said about Contador? We can leave that for the clinic as well...
Why was what he had to say disregarded by the CAS ruling? To my knowledge his biopassport was included.
 
May 30, 2009
109
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
Yes let's leave the clinic stuff in the clinic, can we come to the conclusion that apart from clinic stuff there is nothing to hate Alberto for :)
Dunno, I would have preferred Contador to wait when Andy dropped his chain.
Yes, the chain thing was undoubtedly caused by Andy himself (took me some time to face), but ther yellow jersey shouldn't be won that way. My grief is only about honoring the race as Andy was more than compensated with the stage win he was given afterward (and to my knowledge he didn't close much of the hole when he chased Contador, meaning he wouldn't have made much of a hole either).
 
OctaBech said:
Dunno, I would have preferred Contador to wait when Andy dropped his chain.
Yes, the chain thing was undoubtedly caused by Andy himself (took me some time to face), but ther yellow jersey shouldn't be won that way. My grief is only about honoring the race as Andy was more than compensated with the stage win he was given afterward (and to my knowledge he didn't close much of the hole when he chased Contador, meaning he wouldn't have made much of a hole either).
He even lost time on the descent, IIRC Alberto-Menchov-Samu had a 20s gap at the top and 39s at the finish line.

Anyway, I don't think he should've waited. And Andy's argument that he would've won the tour if Alberto hadn't attacked doesn't hold a lot of water imo.

And to hate Alberto for it makes even less sense.
 
Mar 26, 2009
2,532
0
0
Yesterday at raisport they said that Contador is looking for a team captain; they contacted Garzelli at first as he lives in Valencia but he's almost 40 and probably retiring very soon.
They tried to contact Basso but he has a big role into the new Liquigas (the team, not sponsor) sponsorship and so they are now talking to Di Luca.
Personally I dont see Di Luca as a great choice compared to other 2.
 
Michele said:
Yesterday at raisport they said that Contador is looking for a team captain; they contacted Garzelli at first as he lives in Valencia but he's almost 40 and probably retiring very soon.
They tried to contact Basso but he has a big role into the new Liquigas (the team, not sponsor) sponsorship and so they are now talking to Di Luca.
Personally I dont see Di Luca as a great choice compared to other 2.
Why are they only asking Italians? :p
 
OctaBech said:
Dunno, I would have preferred Contador to wait when Andy dropped his chain.
Yes, the chain thing was undoubtedly caused by Andy himself (took me some time to face), but ther yellow jersey shouldn't be won that way. My grief is only about honoring the race as Andy was more than compensated with the stage win he was given afterward (and to my knowledge he didn't close much of the hole when he chased Contador, meaning he wouldn't have made much of a hole either).
Why? I've never understood this reasoning. I would agree with your sentiment if Contador was in the bunch, sees Andy have a mechanical and then attacks. That would be in poor form, but that's not what happened in that case. Andy attacked while Contador was blocked in by a few riders and due to his own error dropped his chain mid-attack. Contador was already in full flight when Andy commits his error. You think it was AC's responsibility at that point to call timeout and wait for Andy to fix his chain????

I think Ryder Hesjedal said it best "if you draw your sword and drop it, you die" (or something to that effect).
 
Michele said:
Yesterday at raisport they said that Contador is looking for a team captain; they contacted Garzelli at first as he lives in Valencia but he's almost 40 and probably retiring very soon.
They tried to contact Basso but he has a big role into the new Liquigas (the team, not sponsor) sponsorship and so they are now talking to Di Luca.
Personally I dont see Di Luca as a great choice compared to other 2.
the Garzelli option would be very good, I really would like to see him again on a big team, riding the Giro and be a road captain in the Tour
 
OctaBech said:
Dunno, I would have preferred Contador to wait when Andy dropped his chain.
Yes, the chain thing was undoubtedly caused by Andy himself (took me some time to face), but ther yellow jersey shouldn't be won that way. My grief is only about honoring the race as Andy was more than compensated with the stage win he was given afterward (and to my knowledge he didn't close much of the hole when he chased Contador, meaning he wouldn't have made much of a hole either).
Please, let's not get started on this again.:(
 
May 30, 2009
109
0
0
Publicus said:
Why? I've never understood this reasoning. I would agree with your sentiment if Contador was in the bunch, sees Andy have a mechanical and then attacks. That would be in poor form, but that's not what happened in that case. Andy attacked while Contador was blocked in by a few riders and due to his own error dropped his chain mid-attack. Contador was already in full flight when Andy commits his error. You think it was AC's responsibility at that point to call timeout and wait for Andy to fix his chain????

I think Ryder Hesjedal said it best "if you draw your sword and drop it, you die" (or something to that effect).
The reasoning is more of philosophical nature really. It's a question about what kind of heroes we want the sport and TdF in particular to produce. The riders have often been referred to knights on wheels/iron horses who through so many hardships to create epic tales. In no other sport we get to follow our heroes this close through their ups and downs. We do not experience in other sports that the likely winner of a stage hands the win to someone else for the hard work done.
Winning because the opponent dropped his sword is neither admirable nor epic, it's just a cheap and rather dull kill.
But yes, if Hesjedal is as high as one's expectations of a hero go, then it can be hard to understand this angle. :)
 
OctaBech said:
The reasoning is more of philosophical nature really. It's a question about what kind of heroes we want the sport and TdF in particular to produce. The riders have often been referred to knights on wheels/iron horses who through so many hardships to create epic tales. In no other sport we get to follow our heroes this close through their ups and downs. We do not experience in other sports that the likely winner of a stage hands the win to someone else for the hard work done.
Winning because the opponent dropped his sword is neither admirable nor epic, it's just a cheap and rather dull kill.
But yes, if Hesjedal is as high as one's expectations of a hero go, then it can be hard to understand this angle. :)
Winning because you aren't killed when making a mistake because of pity feelings of the opponents is hardly epic either, right?
 
May 30, 2009
109
0
0
Arnout said:
Winning because you aren't killed when making a mistake because of pity feelings of the opponents is hardly epic either, right?
No, you clearly do not understand it.
 
OctaBech said:
The reasoning is more of philosophical nature really. It's a question about what kind of heroes we want the sport and TdF in particular to produce. The riders have often been referred to knights on wheels/iron horses who through so many hardships to create epic tales. In no other sport we get to follow our heroes this close through their ups and downs. We do not experience in other sports that the likely winner of a stage hands the win to someone else for the hard work done.
Winning because the opponent dropped his sword is neither admirable nor epic, it's just a cheap and rather dull kill.
But yes, if Hesjedal is as high as one's expectations of a hero go, then it can be hard to understand this angle. :)
what a bunch of philosophical BS. . .

Arnout said:
Winning because you aren't killed when making a mistake because of pity feelings of the opponents is hardly epic either, right?
you are completely right arnout, besides it's a race not a fairy tale designed to create some sort of pseudo hero
 
Mar 26, 2009
2,532
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
Why are they only asking Italians? :p
They didnt say why but I guess it must be due to some sponsor's requests or cause they want someone for leadership roles during italian races when there isnt Contador.
 
May 30, 2009
109
0
0
Parrulo said:
what a bunch of philosophical BS. . .



you are completely right arnout, besides it's a race not a fairy tale designed to create some sort of pseudo hero
Such an intelligent argument, I know when I'm beaten.

And no he isn't right, as I already mentioned it's not seen as pathetic to be given a stage, you know like Contador did they day after he had been boohooed down from the scene.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY