• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
They didnt say why but I guess it must be due to some sponsor's requests or cause they want someone for leadership roles during italian races when there isnt Contador.

They'll need someone for the giro d'italia next year as Contador will be focusing on the tour and this will take some pressure of him/team.

OctaBech said:
The reasoning is more of philosophical nature really. It's a question about what kind of heroes we want the sport and TdF in particular to produce. The riders have often been referred to knights on wheels/iron horses who through so many hardships to create epic tales. In no other sport we get to follow our heroes this close through their ups and downs. We do not experience in other sports that the likely winner of a stage hands the win to someone else for the hard work done.
Winning because the opponent dropped his sword is neither admirable nor epic, it's just a cheap and rather dull kill.
But yes, if Hesjedal is as high as one's expectations of a hero go, then it can be hard to understand this angle. :)

I think you don't understand Hesjedal's comment. It actually dovetails precisely with the imagery you've painted above. Unfortunately for you, your overly romanticized version of warfare/combat/battle is your undoing. Would have been an interesting discussion back in 2010, but alas it is 2012 and the eve of the 2012 Tour de France. I'm bowing out of this discussion.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Lol +10000

So you would not want any good riders in the sport.. like say Contador?
What is the difference between what Contador did not do in that case and what he did do in the Giro with Rujano and Tiralongo?

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
How do we know that Contador gave the stage away? He tried to drop Andy earlier but couldn't and then only thing AC can't do is sprint so maybe he couldn't win that day?

Froome19 said:
So you would not want any good riders in the sport.. like say Contador?
What is the difference between what Contador did not do in that case and what he did do in the Giro with Rujano and Tiralongo?

Is this a serious question? Because . . . wow. :eek:

EDIT: I want to make sure I'm understanding the question. Are you asking about chaingate and Contador gifting a stages to Tiralongo and Rujano?

OctaBech said:
Such an intelligent argument, I know when I'm beaten.

And no he isn't right, as I already mentioned it's not seen as pathetic to be given a stage, you know like Contador did they day after he had been boohooed down from the scene.

That was pathetic as well. I don't like riders giving away stages for nothing. Sometimes I can understand it, when riders are friends, when they worked together etc, but I don't like it.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
And that is...?

would you prefer a rider with honor and respect for others or one who wins at any cost.

We all like riders for different reasons, Octabech I guess likes the romanticism of the sport rather than just the winning or rankings of a rider.

Machu Picchu said:
would you prefer a rider with honor and respect for others or one who wins at any cost.

We all like riders for different reasons, Octabech I guess likes the romanticism of the sport rather than just the winning or rankings of a rider.

I don't think it is romantic. Romantic is battling through in face of adversaries. Come to think of it, I know of no romantic cycling story involving cyclists waiting for others because they made a mistake.

I think it is a pursue of a perceived fairness rather than romantics.

OctaBech said:
The reasoning is more of philosophical nature really. It's a question about what kind of heroes we want the sport and TdF in particular to produce. The riders have often been referred to knights on wheels/iron horses who through so many hardships to create epic tales. In no other sport we get to follow our heroes this close through their ups and downs. We do not experience in other sports that the likely winner of a stage hands the win to someone else for the hard work done.
Winning because the opponent dropped his sword is neither admirable nor epic, it's just a cheap and rather dull kill.
But yes, if Hesjedal is as high as one's expectations of a hero go, then it can be hard to understand this angle. :)

Well I'm old school...being old LOL. Cycling has always been about finding your opponents weaknesses and exploiting them....it's not a tea party, it's war on wheels. If Andy can't shift well that's a weakness to be exploited. The only problem I have is that AC apologized...sissy response IMO.

Carols said:
Well I'm old school...being old LOL. Cycling has always been about finding your opponents weaknesses and exploiting them....it's not a tea party, it's war on wheels. If Andy can't shift well that's a weakness to be exploited. The only problem I have is that AC apologized...sissy response IMO.

Tehe way to go Carol! I like you. :)

hoerpi said:
How do we know that Contador gave the stage away? He tried to drop Andy earlier but couldn't and then only thing AC can't do is sprint so maybe he couldn't win that day?

He didn't try to drop him; he made the classic - 'my legs are good, you'll never drop me' move to demoralize his opponent and then he let him win...even Andy admitted the stage was gifted.

I don't mind gifting stages to worthy opponents or those who worked with a rider and as a result allowed that GC rider to gain time, it is a part of the sport.

As is exploiting your opponents weaknesses :)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
images

Yeah and It would also be so much more relieving if people who debate in a public fora had any idea what they were talking about :rolleyes:

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday you could live chat with Bjarne Riis directly from team Saxo / Tinkoff bank hotel in Liege. There were a few interesting facts. http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1783478.ece

I've picked a few of the most interesting and translated them here:

Comment by Mary Solbjerg
Who do you think will win this year!?

Bjarne Riis: Hi Mary!
It's a difficult question to answer. I think the biggest favorite has to be Cadel Evans, since he won last year. Of course, Wiggins also a big favorite, but he still has to prove that he can go the distance and survive the harsh hills in a three-week race
---------------------------------------

Comment from Niels
I think the tour this year has a lot of young, exciting and promising riders and am personally even to see Rabobank's Steven Kruijswijk and last year's young gun, Pierre Rolland .. Which young riders, will you watch out for this year?

Bjarne Riis: Hi Niels!
I believe very much that Kruijswijk can run a good Tour. Rolland have to go out there and prove what he delivered last year, because we have not seen so much of him since.

A third bid could be Taaramae. ;)
-------------------------------------

Comment by Michael
What new riders, we will get to see on your team

Bjarne Riis: Hi Michael!
Cancellara, Nibali, Sagan, Schleck brothers and Fuglsang. They are certainly all been cited interchangeably by the media and experts who have an opinion about how my cycling team should look like.
I can not tell you how the team will look like, but I can guarantee that we will have a strong team for next year and years ahead. My goal is again to become the world's best cycling team.
-----------------------------------

Comment by Thomas
Hi Bjarne, you have a young Pole named Rafal. He should have been in the Giro as GC rider, but was injured. Then I heard that he was in the Tour. Is he a future rider standings and when do you think we see what he can

Bjarne Riis: Majka is still a young rider, but I am convinced that he is someone who can run the standings in the future. Unfortunately, he had a very bad year, but I am sure that he gets strong again in the Vuelta. :D
----------------------------------

Comment by Martin Heinecke
Can Nick Nuyens do something at some early stages? they end up as little as far as I know. he has a good finish

Bjarne Riis: I think in any case Nick is very, very motivated, especially here in the beginning, where he is at home. The end Sunday is perhaps not exactly tailored for him, but one should never say never.
-----------------------------------

Comment by Andreas
Will it not be a boring tour this year with defensive driving?

Bjarne Riis: Hey Andrew!
The Tour of course, would probably have been more exciting if Alberto and Andy had been there. I think quite clear that Wiggins will ride defensively, because this is his chance. Some of the other suitors are forced to drive more aggressively because they do not have Wiggins' strength on the time trials.

Comment by Peter
Hi Bjarne ... with a Russian sponsor must then be Russians on the team? And then I'll just say great respect for that you'll keep coming back ... it is impressive and inspiring.

Bjarne Riis: Thank you, Peter.
Whether there will be Russians on the team, I do not know yet. But now it is even the case that it is me who decides who should be on the team and the most important thing is that we have a strong team.
------------------------------------

Comment by Ole
Hi Bjarne. Who is the most inspirational rider you run against / or worked with?

Bjarne Riis: The most inspirational rider, I've been running for may be Fignon. His approach to things and the way he was looking at was admirable.
The most inspiring opponent must have be Indurain. He was so elegant and had so much class. A good sportsman.
Of those I have worked with, I can mention Alberto for his dedication.

Comment by Sonny
Which rider on your team has surprised you the most this season in spite of the few victories?

Bjarne Riis: Hey Sonny!
If I have to highlight one, it could be Christopher Juul, who has shown he has a unique ability to sacrifice for his team captain. Often we see that it's not a matter of course for a rider. I remember in Argentina in January that Alberto after the race came to me and said "where have you picked him?" He was impressed that one so young rider had so much energy and perspective to do things by themselves. It is something that helps to make a rider indispensable on a cycling team.
----------------------------------

Comment from Michael Hjort.
Bjarne, Our newly minted champion Sebastian Lander. Is he an option on your team? and How do you predict his future?

Bjarne Riis: Hi Michael!
I think it is wildly positive that he has gotten so good track of his progress this year. This has meant that he has received many impressive results, most recently with DM-title. Can he continue the development, he will undoubtedly be an interesting topic for us, too.
-------------------------------

Comment by Mikkel
Has Denis Menchov not been forgotten as one of this years favorites, he is a great TT rider?

Bjarne Riis: Hi Mikkel!
Yes absolutely. He may well prove a good outsider, but it will require him to have stability in the mountains, and that he is promoting is already on the first mountain stage.
------------------------------

TRENDING THREADS