• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 371 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
”It was an insanely chaotic stage and it's really a shame for everyone that the stage was opened in this chaos. We were confused to say the least in the car behind the field. First, we were told that the finish line was moved because of a bus blocking the road. We passed the information on to the riders who then did the sprint. The moment later, the finish line was moved back to its original spot and then in all the confusion the big crash happened. Alberto went to the ground and we still don't know about his precise condition. The boys have done such a good job all the way to avoid this situation and I think the desperation in the field because of the situation caused the crash,” said Team Saxo-Tinkoff's Fabrizio Guidi.

movingtarget said:
The shoulder will be tender but nothing broken it seems. No one wants to see riders go out of the race injured on day one but poor Tony Martin is out with a broken collarbone.

Martin is a Big Loss for the race....hopefully when the carnage clears and everyone is checked out there won't be any more casualties.

But this is a dreadful start for Alberto :( He didn't look good crossing the line....I hope nothing is broken!

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
"It was a difficult day, that is the Tour. Sometimes you catch the falls and sometimes not, is a lottery, everyone wants to be in front, and today I have touched me.

I hope it's nothing serious. I'm bruised, but the blow was quite strong, especially on the left shoulder and right knee. I hope only body and paint and hopefully be fit for the team time and roll at home on the bike. There is still much Tour. I hope to sleep as best we can and today will cost a little more.

We knew we would not be chopping time and so we come in peace ".

(google-translated from http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=63424 )

movingtarget said:
The shoulder will be tender but nothing broken it seems. No one wants to see riders go out of the race injured on day one but poor Tony Martin is out with a broken collarbone.

that's too bad, he did fear the Alpe d'Huez stage but out due to stage 1, pff him and TDF is not a good marriage...

they better put a strike on tomorrow...

Carols said:
Martin is a Big Loss for the race....hopefully when the carnage clears and everyone is checked out there won't be any more casualties.

But this is a dreadful start for Alberto :( He didn't look good crossing the line....I hope nothing is broken!

WOW! First day & already big news and casualties, sad to see. Not a very good start for all involved obviously.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You're about the 20th person to post this "nothing broken" line. Yeah we heard that about an hour ago. If somethingt was broken he would be out of the race. One can still be badly effected by a crash if nothing is broken.

The not broken line isn't the point. The hard hit to the shoulder, back (and knee) was however

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador
Thank you very much to everyone s for your messages, we believe that there is no fracture, now lots of ice and rest, go hard asphalt is in France!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
934945_10151745716566972_2108541260_n.jpg

It could have been way worse for Contador. Damn.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Cimber said:
No matter what crashed are never good and they do take their toll

Agreed. especially on the 'first day'. I hope this don't turn out like 2011, where he crashed more than once. That's a sign of a luck ... is leaving the france soil. I'm more nervous watching the race. Not because whether contador can win or not, but this crash. 2011, 2012 crash wiped out the GC contender. We won't see a fire works if the GC guys out injured.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
The knee again:mad: **** this

which knee? i hope it's not the same knee that he injured in TDF 2011. Argggh.. definitely isn't a good start. He never crashed before on all the GT that he won. Is is a sign of trouble (from luck stand point)????.. Please I hope not. Saxo boys did great job already riding upfront before that.. and then... kaboom... whaaaat the hell just happen??

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Jelantik said:
which knee? i hope it's not the same knee that he injured in TDF 2011. Argggh.. definitely isn't a good start. He never crashed before on all the GT that he won. Is is a sign of trouble (from luck stand point)????.. Please I hope not. Saxo boys did great job already riding upfront before that.. and then... kaboom... whaaaat the hell just happen??

right knee and left shoulder according to some report, and it definitely will be an uphill battle for him .

Jelantik said:

IIRC it was the right knee back then also