• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 369 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jelantik said:
BN2e1OKCEAAATH-.jpg:large

this is a better helmet than those previous specialized helmet with huge vent in front of the helmet. *what was specialized thinking? it's like dragging around parachute on your head*:D

BNxVJ1VCcAAF0ZL.jpg:large

new helmet without the vent, think it looks better than these aero things

the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 1h
L'Equipe reports Oleg Tinkov could buy Saxo-Tinkoff team from Bjarne Riis. Meanwhile Igor Makarov watching Tour from two yachts off Corsica

[edit] Morten Risager ‏@Risager16 2m
@inrng just talked to Tinkov. He refuses a buy but claims he is considering full sponsorship of The team. #tdf [/edit]

Bernard Hinault names Alberto as the big favorite

BN6eAKaCEAAg7Gt.jpg:large

He looks horrible:eek: probably means he's ready :p

Trey H. Greenwood ‏@TreyEx_SaxoTink 1h
Everyone seems to be picking Froome but I'm putting my money on @albertocontador to win the Tour! GO ALBERTO! Good luck to the whole team!

The new @iamspecialized S-Works Evade aero helmet is by far the best looking of the new aero lids. Looks great painted in team colors!

Even though I hate the new helmets I agree with this

Manuel Saiz Balbas ‏@Manolo_Saiz 2m
Me preguntáis mi favorito!! Sólo tengo uno Contador y varios aspirantes. Mi sueño ver a dos exONCE en podio Mucha suerte a los 22 Equipos ..

BN6YQEvCUAAhsDK.jpg:large

Jesus :p Looks like one of the guys brought his son to the team presentation

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
That's BS.

Valverde was better than Contador. He finished in front of Contador a lot and was absolutely flying up Fuente De. He would have probably won the race if he hadn't lost time early on.

That was last year though. Hopefully Contador has improved to a better level ;)

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Valverde was better than Contador. He finished in front of Contador a lot and was absolutely flying up Fuente De. He would have probably won the race if he hadn't lost time early on.

Valverde was in trouble lots of times. Purito and Alberto rode away from his multiple times. He only got back when they slowed again.

Finishing in front of Contador doesn't say anything because IIRC it was in sprints every time.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 1h
L'Equipe reports Oleg Tinkov could buy Saxo-Tinkoff team from Bjarne Riis. Meanwhile Igor Makarov watching Tour from two yachts off Corsica

[edit] Morten Risager ‏@Risager16 2m
@inrng just talked to Tinkov. He refuses a buy but claims he is considering full sponsorship of The team. #tdf [/edit]

Bernard Hinault names Alberto as the big favorite

BN6eAKaCEAAg7Gt.jpg:large

He looks horrible:eek: probably means he's ready :p

Everyone seems to be picking Froome but I'm putting my money on @albertocontador to win the Tour! GO ALBERTO! Good luck to the whole team!

The new @iamspecialized S-Works Evade aero helmet is by far the best looking of the new aero lids. Looks great painted in team colors!

Even though I hate the new helmets I agree with this

Manuel Saiz Balbas ‏@Manolo_Saiz 2m
Me preguntáis mi favorito!! Sólo tengo uno Contador y varios aspirantes. Mi sueño ver a dos exONCE en podio Mucha suerte a los 22 Equipos ..

BN6YQEvCUAAhsDK.jpg:large

Jesus :p Looks like one of the guys brought his son to the team presentation

He looks like a CGI character. Something odd about the pic

Contadoraus Schlecks said:

Valverde flew up fuente de because he wheelsucked till the last climb. Either way, he struggled to stay with Contador and murito on ancares, and only stayed with them on Lagos and cuitu negru, because Contador and murito kept slowing down after dropping him.

In the final classification, Valverde lost a total of 1:16 to Contador, of which 51 seconds was lost to Contador on the ITT and 55 seconds on the Stage 4 crash. That means counting only MTFs and time bonuses, Valverde would be 30 seconds up on Contador. I think it is fair to say that he climbed at least as well as Contador during that Vuelta.

wwabbit said:
In the final classification, Valverde lost a total of 1:16 to Contador, of which 51 seconds was lost to Contador on the ITT and 55 seconds on the Stage 4 crash. That means counting only MTFs and time bonuses, Valverde would be 30 seconds up on Contador. I think it is fair to say that he climbed at least as well as Contador during that Vuelta.

So did you watch the vuelta?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I didn't exhaustively analyse the Vuelta so apologies if he question I'm asking has an obvious answer, but why did Contador and Rodriguez slow down after dropping Valverde, allowing him to rejoin them? Is there a tactical reason or could they actually just not climb at a significantly better average pace than Valverde?

SeriousSam said:
I didn't exhaustively analyse the Vuelta so apologies if he question I'm asking has an obvious answer, but why did Contador and Rodriguez slow down after dropping Valverde, allowing him to rejoin them? Is there a tactical reason or could they actually just not climb at a significantly better average pace than Valverde?

Alberto was trying to drop Purito and whenever Purito got back they slowed. They were only focused on each other.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Daniel Friebe ‏@friebos 39s
Interesting from Jean-François Bernard in L'Équipe - says that Contador very popular in peloton, Sky are not & will struggle to find allies.

I find this normal... Alberto has been gathering allies during the years and the way that he races and behaves inside the peloton is more popular than sky ways and comments, etc... I just cant stop thinking that time where Tiralongo was returning the favor to Contador in La Vuelta...

SeriousSam said:

Same reason Schleck and Contador didnt give a **** about Sanchez and Menchov in the Pyranees in 2010. Valverde was far enough back on gc that he wasnt on their mind.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
That's BS.

They got over the high mountains with approximately the same time (+/-10sec) I'm a bit lazy to make a precise calculation.

I don't find a trouble if a rider doesn't lose anything on a stage.