• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 560 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Didn't Contador attack to early today? I mean, in that time Kreuziger was shaving peloton in quite fast rate. Why Contador didn't wait with attack until there was fewer people? That would make much more sense. Maybe he wasn't so strong today and realized that only after he attacked? I don't know, but this maybe wasn't nice from Alberto. Of course I'm Kreuziger's fan ;), but anyway.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Today's climb looked pretty soft to me. Numbers at top shows that. Contador was just using the climb to soften Valverde up. When the road is hard he will have done the groundwork.

Kokoso said:
Didn't Contador attack to early today? I mean, in that time Kreuziger was shaving peloton in quite fast rate. Why Contador didn't wait with attack until there was fewer people? That would make much more sense. Maybe he wasn't so strong today and realized that only after he attacked? I don't know, but this maybe wasn't nice from Alberto. Of course I'm Kreuziger's fan ;), but anyway.

In the article above he seems to indicate that he attacked there because the curve was protected against the wind. At least that is what I got out of:

“I think it has been much slower and there was a very strong headwind that I don't remember from past editions. I saw it from the start I've seen but I found a right curve that could be used to attack. The truth is that the group could easily take the wheel."

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
you think so? I thought that last year, but he seem to be much more at ease climbing this year
I agree with Vino Attacks on this. In my observation, Contador's gearing/cadence started to change around the time of the Zoncolan a while back when Sram introduced their Compact + long cage derailleur and 32 or 34 sprockets. That was a blessing compared to being over-geared on extreme climbs like the Zonc or Angliru. But I think Contador started to turn a lighter gear in general at that time. Not that there's anything wrong with that in terms of efficiency, in theory. But for his danseuse pedal style, I think it became a bit of a crutch and cost him speed and power. Coincidentally (?), his climbing and punch began to decline against his major rivals. This year, in my opinion he is visibly turning a slightly heavier gear again, his power is back and he looks more graceful to me, as well.

Je ne sais quoi said:
I agree with Vino Attacks on this. In my observation, Contador's gearing/cadence started to change around the time of the Zoncolan a while back when Sram introduced their Compact + long cage derailleur and 32 or 34 sprockets. That was a blessing compared to being over-geared on extreme climbs like the Zonc or Angliru. But I think Contador started to turn a lighter gear in general at that time. Not that there's anything wrong with that in terms of efficiency, in theory. But for his danseuse pedal style, I think it became a bit of a crutch and cost him speed and power. Coincidentally (?), his climbing and punch began to decline against his major rivals. This year, in my opinion he is visibly turning a slightly heavier gear again, his power is back and he looks more graceful to me, as well.

Interesting observations.:cool:

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
In the article above he seems to indicate that he attacked there because the curve was protected against the wind. At least that is what I got out of:

“I think it has been much slower and there was a very strong headwind that I don't remember from past editions. I saw it from the start I've seen but I found a right curve that could be used to attack. The truth is that the group could easily take the wheel."

That sounds strang to me. If that was true, why would he attacked into the headwind again and again? Don't quite get it. I think he ruined Kreuziger's effort and all he has of it is nothing. Maybe it was just showboating. Anyway, I think Kreuziger could be mad on him.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
And Roman doesn't mind working for Contador, remember in the ES show about the team Roman wanted to race Pais Vasco for Contador and Riis told him he didn't have to.
Yeah, but then they changed their opinion and said him he'll race Pais Vaco. But that wasn't in front of tv cameras.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Kokoso said:
Yeah, but then they changed their opinion and said him he'll race Pais Vaco. But that wasn't in front of tv cameras.

This race is a very good tune up for the Ardennes, makes sense he is riding it, even in a support role.

The TT will be interesting tomorrow, hopefully AC has a skin suit that fits well :eek:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well, now i'm a little be nervous about ITT for Contador, even though it's a hilly ITT. Last year in a tougher hill with 12% on the last hill, Contador finished more than 1 minutes. Valverde seemed to be very confident that he can take contador on ITT. Otherwise he would have not wasted yesterday's stage.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I guess this explains why Alberto had only Roman and Rory towards the end when Movistar started to pull

23. MORKOV, Michael
24. HERNANDEZ, Jesus
25. PAULINHO, Sergio
26. HANSEN, Jesper
27. PIRES, Bruno

All DNF, definitely understand why Morkov + Hansen DNF and the others probably because tomorrow is just an ITT.

Jelantik said:
well, now i'm a little be nervous about ITT for Contador, even though it's a hilly ITT. Last year in a tougher hill with 12% on the last hill, Contador finished more than 1 minutes. Valverde seemed to be very confident that he can take contador on ITT. Otherwise he would have not wasted yesterday's stage.

I believe Contador's form is better than last years race, so hopefully that helps (even though he has yet to show much tt form this year.) I agree with you though- I'm a little nervous as well. At least he will have the advantage of going last....hoping he has a strong ride!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
even his DS is hoping for the best :D. I guess this is contador race to loose?

“The stage was as hard as we expected but our main goal was that Alberto would cross the finish line with Valverde and the other favorites and we succeeded. But a 12 second lead is not an overwhelmingly safe one and Alberto really has to live up to his very best in order to keep the rivals behind. However, the course suits him well as it includes two climbs of 3.5 and 4 kilometers but we have seen Valverde perform excellently as well on the slopes so it’s going to be a real thrill sitting in the car behind him tomorrow,” says DS, Philippe Mauduit.

http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=ec3e8e1740086f503f9ba786b&id=626d994cd2&e=b51ed284f5

Jelantik said:

I'm nervous too :( c'mon Berto!!

TRENDING THREADS