• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 563 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Hmm.. i don't think the blue will take dominant color since that's a Saxo colors. Tinkoff brand color is all yellow. Gosh I hope they don't change the balance to give more white. This year Tinkoff jersey is really great. They really really pop a lot. I can see them easily. Last year I keep mistaken them with Vacansoil.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Great ride by Berto!
Still we dont know if he is in 09 like form.;)This tt was tailor made for him.
On the other hand i dont fvcking care if Froome gives him a minute in panflat tt,coz i want to see Rasmussen PtB or Schleck Tourm like battle and Berto crushing Sky and Froome into tiny little pieces to show those english 'experts' or rather ignorants who started to watch cycling in 2012 what cycling is really about...mano a mano battles,mind games,poker faces,feelings,sensations,brain and elegant style on the bike.:):)

Hard work and dedication during preparation Alberto.And good luck on cobbles!

I know it isnt fair, but I so agree with the bolded part. Those limey "experts" has made it impossible for me to like Froome.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Jack_89 said:
Another thing demostrate that he is not like last year: the fact that he keeps a great form for 2 months !

2 in Algarve
1 in TA
2 in Catalunya
1 in PV

this fact in very incredible and he never had a bad day in that period

So this is a 1-2 pattern

2 in Algarve
1 in TA
2 in Catalunya
1 in PV
2 Dauphine
1 Tour :D

Joking aside, I still see Froome as the big favorite, but at least it should be way more interesting this year. Hopefully Nibali will be fully charged too. Wauld hope for Andy too but that wont happen.

Cimber said:
So this is a 1-2 pattern

2 in Algarve
1 in TA
2 in Catalunya
1 in PV
2 Dauphine
1 Tour :D

Joking aside, I still see Froome as the big favorite, but at least it should be way more interesting this year. Hopefully Nibali will be fully charged too. Wauld hope for Andy too but that wont happen.

Is it at all possible we can all avoid using words like "charged", that imply some type of enhanced performance that is anything other that normal prep/training related since this is not the clinic?

Personally I agree that Froome should still be seen as the favorite for the Tour. While I'm excited by Contador's 2014 performance, as someone else mentioned, until we see Contador in long tt we can't see them as equals overall unless Contador can exploit his advantage in experience and the willingness he has shown to think outside of the box in a way that few if any other (with the exception of Andy in 2011) Tour contender has done.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
Is it at all possible we can all avoid using words like "charged", that imply some type of enhanced performance that is anything other that normal prep/training related since this is not the clinic?

That was not I was implying at all. Just meant that I hope he will show up in top shape. Things are really bad if we really have to weight whatever word we use about a rider out of fear to have it interpreted as a Clinic reference.

Cimber said:
That was not I was implying at all. Just meant that I hope he will show up in top shape. Things are really bad if we really have to weight whatever word we use about a rider out of fear to have it interpreted as a Clinic reference.

No offense intended. Just that "charged" seems to be a common term to get around not getting banned or warned about breaking forum rules.

analogue17

BANNED
Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
...and Berto crushing Sky and Froome into tiny little pieces to show those english 'experts' or rather ignorants who started to watch cycling in 2012 what cycling is really about...mano a mano battles,mind games,poker faces,feelings,sensations,brain and elegant style on the bike.:):)

If I understand you correctly unlike Contador Froome is not about real cycling so he doesn't deserve to win the Tour?

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
saneguy said:
Brilliant. Just brilliant. Froome should definitely be worried. If Alberto can match Tony Martin he can match and even beat Froome easily. This is looking really awesome for July.

Everyone is saying how good Alberto's TT was but people don't seem to remember that he was 2nd in 17th stage of Tour 2013, with a really similar profile:

1.- FROOME Chris - Sky Procycling - 51:33
2.- CONTADOR Alberto - Team Saxo - Tinkoff - 9
3.- RODRIGUEZ Joaquin - Katusha Team - 10

Obviously he has improved his climbing from the last year but no way this ITT is a good way to compare his ITT recovery.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
analogue17 said:
If I understand you correctly unlike Contador Froome is not about real cycling so he doesn't deserve to win the Tour?
last answer to you,dont bother to post me anything----onto the ignore.
Vino attacks everyone said:
I think what he meant was that many new fans came to the sport after Wiggo won in 2012, and for them Froome might look like the best rider the sport has ever had. And he dislike that notion.

Only my take on it though ;)

very good mentalist you are:D,but we all know that the best rider this sport ever had is Vino:p

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Arkaitz said:
Everyone is saying how good Alberto's TT was but people don't seem to remember that he was 2nd in 17th stage of Tour 2013, with a really similar profile:

Obviously he has improved his climbing from the last year but no way this ITT is a good way to compare his ITT recovery.

Yes and now he's stronger !

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Is it the yellow kit or Alberto's quads look a bit better than in years past? Is it just the color that makes then look bigger?

As far as Chris being the favorite we know that the TDF is a race where momentum matters and i have not seen that much from Froome this year. Meanwhile Alberto has turned the clock. Froome is a better tt rider and my money would be on him if the race was only that a time trial, but the TDF is a stage race and if Alberto manages the race well he will cone or on top. I other words I do not think that Froome will have the legs to make that much of a gap on the tt.

Arkaitz said:

Probably would have won if he/saxo didn't totally **** up tactically and not change bikes at the top of the climb like everyone else did. Think he admitted that himself at the end.