• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course Alberto has done great. As world class as everything. I dont want to take anything away from Purito (he has done great) but this Vuelta has with its many uphill sprints, bonus seconds at play, lack of TTs been tailormade for his qualities. It is as he himself have designed it. I have few or little doubts AC would have been in the lead with minutes had it looked slightly different. But at the end of the day you have to stick with your strenghts and face what you get.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I don't think it will work :D Alberto only has a chance if 1) Purito has a bad day or 2) He takes a huge risk and attacks from 10 km out but I don't want him to do that.

Ye,but Purito said in press conference that if Piti and Alberto continued the first attack he would have been dropped .:rolleyes:
It could work....and Alberto will help Piti to win Liege,Fleche or whatever :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Cimber said:
Indeed. Will be interesting if they will stay happy with eachother for the next 3,5 years

I've heard from Kroon that Riis doesn't like that much big plans, he just likes to ride a mountain as hard as possible with his team.

That's what Kroon said at least.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
I've heard from Kroon that Riis doesn't like that much big plans, he just likes to ride a mountain as hard as possible with his team.

That's what Kroon said at least.

Now u mention it it seems as if all the strategic plans from the CSC days were Kim Andersens work. And he did bring that over to leopard, fx when Andy took the galibier win were hé attacked early and had team mages to help in the valley

ILovecycling said:
Ye,but Purito said in press conference that if Piti and Alberto continued the first attack he would have been dropped .:rolleyes:
It could work....and Alberto will help Piti to win Liege,Fleche or whatever :D

The problem is of course that Alberto and Piti couldn't continue the attack. This is where Alberto's stamina comes into play. I remember the attack where they had gapped Purito and Froome and then sat up. It seems (to me) BOTH should recognize their mutual interest (AC gets red, Piti puts time into Froome and gets a foothold on the podium) and work together to push on next time. Of course I say this from the comfort of my home office. :D

Cimber said:
This is kinda interesting. Nicki Sørensen saying that Berti is gutted about all the 2nd paces (no surpise). He also says they have no plan, since Bertie seem to be an impulsive type who goes by feeling and doesnt like big plans (but isnt Riis known to like big tactical plans?).

http://translate.google.com/transla...-09-02-nicki-contador-er-lidt-indebr%C3%A6ndt

LOL Bjarne has said before that Alberto is Alberto and attacks when he feels good...as if there is nothing he can do to change that. I believe him :)

meat puppet said:
say what you want to say, but IMO this levelled out, blow by blow fight with JROD is more fun to watch than 2009 and 2011 processions. if he progresses to his old level, it means effectively that competition as such becomes eliminated. there was not a single second in 2009 TDF or last year's giro that his victory was up in the air. it's better this way.

It certainly makes it more dramatic and enjoyable to watch.....but we want to see Alberto Win and that looks doubtful unless they come up with some great tactics or Alberto finds that last 2-3%.

Personally I think he is doing a World Class job for someone who has had so little racing in over 1 year; but 2nd is not winning and Alberto wants to win!

Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador
Already on the way to the hotel in Gijon after a stage of continuous attacks.Tomorrow more!;-)

k37wm.jpg

Oh Alberto... :D