• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 330 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Well, according to Froome before the Dauphine he's not hit his best form yet. ;) Plus it's 2013, where a rider can peak all year right up to his main goal (see Wiggins 2012, or even Evans 2011).
Believe Froome said he was at 85-90% and AC is saying he is at 75%, so now it is up to AC to show he can get the remaining % next few weeks, whereas Froome needs to slowly build up and then maintain it over the 3 weeks in TdF.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
airstream said:
Who said Froomester should be in top form to win Dauphine? ;)

90 - 95% is what I would call top form, 75% isn´t.

Now, one thing puzzles me, if it had been AC who had a season like the Dawg had so far, we would have heard tons of comments about steaks and other **** from you air, how come we haven¨t heard a single word or insinuation when it comes to Froome? After all, its a guy who came from zero to hero in under 2 years.

xrayvision said:

Now, one thing puzzles me, if it had been AC who had a season like the Dawg had so far, we would have heard tons of comments about steaks and other **** from you air, how come we haven¨t heard a single word or insinuation when it comes to Froome? After all, its a guy who came from zero to hero in under 2 years.

Huh? Stupid question, after all he wouldn't be able to bait Alberto fans then.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:

I never remembered Contador's previous sins and never accused any rider of bigger sins compared to other ones. Even Florecita can confirm it. As to Froome. I'm just glad that the things I had predicted after the Vuelta 2011 came true so quickly. Though, he doesn't inspire much. I'm starting to fear with such a TT edge Froome won't want to attack on the climbs and we won't see beautiful open battles. :(

I support other riders, but I never belittled Contador's strength. NEVER.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
airstream said:
I never remembered Contador's previous sins and never accused any rider of bigger sins compared to other ones. Even Florecita can confirm it. As to Froome. I'm just glad that the things I had predicted after the Vuelta 2011 came true so quickly. Though, he doesn't inspire much. I'm starting to fear with such a TT edge Froome won't want to attack on the climbs and we won't see beautiful open battles. :(

I support other riders, but I never belittled Contador's strength. NEVER.

I know for a fact that is pure BS, but never mind, going through your 3600 posts is not something I´m gonna spend my time on.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
xrayvision said:
I know for a fact that is pure BS, but never mind, going through your 3600 posts is not something I´m gonna spend my time on.

No problem. You gotta communicate only with posters like Florecita then. More belief in the past - more optimism. :) But anyway I offer not to get personal and not to offend each other.

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Looking at the Dauphine I think it's clear the Contador has more room for improvement then Froome. Froome seems to be close to his to form while Contador still has some % that he can gain.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
webbie146 said:
Looking at the Dauphine I think it's clear the Contador has more room for improvement then Froome. Froome seems to be close to his to form while Contador still has some % that he can gain.

Surely if you assume you already saw a 100% of Froome.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
That's an assumption. Just because Froome is much stronger doesn't mean he's closer to his potential.

As we know, he entered a wind tunnel for the first time in his life not too long ago. It wouldn't surprise me if he now issued a statement that, thus far, his training rides have been mainly flat stages, and now is the time to actually train climbing for the Tour. :eek:

edit: airstream beats me to the punch. great minds think alike!

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
How do you think is it possible Contador was coming back to Rogers yesterday partially in order not to need to respond Froome diabolic attack?

I honestly hope Alberto can find some form in the next few weeks. I'm not a fan of Contador but I respect the fact he can light up races and I can see why lots love him. I also want to see a great battle at the Tour.

The big problem for him is that Froome seems so strong up these longer climbs and has a very good team alongside him.

If he doesn't improve his TT then he could have to find a lot of time in the mountains which will take some serious effort.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Lolz

10 chars

Alright. They realized Rogers is impossible to save almost at once as soon as Contador tried to tow him. So he could easily go back to the peloton (just 10-15 sec) and try to win the stage, no? He needed the stage win like no one else, no?

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Surely if you assume you already saw a 100% of Froome.

Froome could have powered past di marchi yesterday and put half a minute into him, had it mattered. Don't think he was out of the saddle at any point.

We have not seen him really tackling a mountain at full fitness since vuelta 2011. I think we will see a Verbier
2009 performance from him at some point during the tour.

airstream said:
How do you think is it possible Contador was coming back to Rogers yesterday partially in order not to need to respond Froome diabolic attack?

This is some fine trolling here. Yes, Contador dropped his own attack NOT to try and help Rogers salvage his podium position, but because he wanted to avoid having to respond to a then-unknown, but apparently expected, diabolical attack from Froome.... Where do you dream this stuff up? :p:rolleyes:

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Froome could have powered past di marchi yesterday and put half a minute into him, had it mattered. Don't think he was out of the saddle at any point.

We have not seen him really tackling a mountain at full fitness since vuelta 2011. I think we will see a Verbier
2009 performance from him at some point during the tour.

Frankly I think Froome doesn't have a ton more upside. I don't think he was tested this week, but I don't think we will see him produce any Verbier-style performances this year.

Also, he was out of the saddle yesterday (Porte was digging a little deep yesterday).

280-PIC373889728.jpg

282-PIC373890853.jpg

284-PIC373892361.jpg

airstream said:

You are funny some times :)

It was clear that Froomestrong tried to tow Porte to a stage win.

And you know that a GC 6th place gives more points than a stage win to Saxo-Tinkoff, who needs UCI points.