• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 410 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
darwin553 said:
See I don't think it is as simple as you put it to be. People like an under-dog to which Contador is one now.

Despite this, I still regard people who attack Froome but follow Contador as hypocrites for following him considering his past.

If you're saying Alberto only has a lot of fans because he's the underdog now, I'm going to call BS on that.

Fact: Alberto had lots and lots of fans before he tested positive.
Fact: Alberto had lots and lots of fans after he tested positive.
Fact: Alberto had lots and lots of fans after he got banned.

He is the underdog right now and that has certainly made him even more popular though.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Hitch technically isn't saying he became more popular after his ban but I can imagine la vuelta won him some fans.

it was the veulta for me.

plus, he didnt repudiate that he ate beef, and took whatever ban was given to him in his own stride.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Froome still needs to get his instructions from the radio to decide whether he should follow an attack or ride tempo to neutralize the attack.

I haven't actually seen froome respond successfully to multiple attacks like the way AC used to do.

I think surprise is the key to beat froome. Thats the only reason AC will dominate froome.

Cimber said:

I think the attacks will have to come from Roman. Alberto is not strong enough. But Roman's final placing is important for the team. Dillemma.

I am also afraid if Saxo attack, Movistar will chase to secure Valverde's second place. Belkin will be happy with two top 10. It'll have to come from saxo. I just hope they're strong enough but I doubt it.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
vcampbell said:
Ignore list is getting longer. It's good, that there are people who help me in this way. On the other hand I can't understand the others why are they replying to him.

Being vulnerable like a kid and at the same time writing 'he's nothing compared to Alberto' is an explosive mixture.

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Tinkov went full r***** on twitter yesterday. Sitting in his Toscana villa and basically bashing everything he could tinkov. One of my favourites:

Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov 11h
Chris Froome is surprisingly strong. But I still in believe with @TeamSaxoTinkoff and @albertocontador . Guys let's fire, go and [explicit] them!

https://twitter.com/olegtinkov

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Okay after reading thijs zonneveld's column I am sure movistar will chase saxo. He basically confirms Alejandro and Alberto hate each other and Alejandro is only worried about beating Alberto.
No wonder remembering the 2008 and 12 Vueltas...

acesand said:
Tinkov went full r***** on twitter yesterday. Sitting in his Toscana villa and basically bashing everything he could tinkov. One of my favourites:

Oleg Tinkov ‏@olegtinkov 11h
Chris Froome is surprisingly strong. But I still in believe with @TeamSaxoTinkoff and @albertocontador . Guys let's fire, go and [explicit] them!

https://twitter.com/olegtinkov

Ye he went full genius (He was very drunk, or he was hacked), i like it!

And remember WORLD #Russia and #tcsbank have been never defeated in the history! We own 30% of the World's terra, why we give up #TdF ? NO!

Who is gonna win #TdF2013 ? Yes, #TdF will win @albertocontador !
He must, the bridges are fired. We will help, $$$ are available @tcsbank

Is he suggesting he is going to bribe some teams/people?

Oleg Tinkov‏@olegtinkov10u
No Mercy for SKY, I watch @YouTube anyway! From Saturday on, GO and tore them apart OR die on the road, my dear @TeamSaxoTinkoff . $$$$$$$$$

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Tinkoff seems very [ I don't know how to say it in English] épatage only on twitter. In Eurosport interviews he's quite reserved and says he realizes how it is difficult and too competitive to win the Tour. :)

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
What :D Nobody even knew Froome when Alberto tested positive :D

In this situation, Froome may as well be Wiggins/A.Schleck/C.Evans (whoever AC's main competitor was for the respective year's tour) but I fear that the even greater competitiveness of Froome has strengthened AC's fans' resolve even more against him in particular.

Tinkov's best bet would be to offer up some nice Tuscany villas for the Belkin boys. Movistar - well they want to beat Saxo I think, sad but true so they can't really be counted as allies but perhaps helping to seal the Polka-dots for Pierre, a stage win for Andy and some sort of Belkin alliance they can find enough Allies there...

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
Is there a link to this column?

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/5598/Sportco...alverde-hebben-een-grafhekel-aan-elkaar.dhtml

I did not believe in this info... that valverde and ac dislike each other... in the dauphine some years ago, AC did help Valverde against Evans...

And the reason that Thijs said that valverde dislike contador is because of what happened in last year vuelta... I remember that vavlerde was sad with sky, not with Alberto...

And it is normal to Valverde be enthusiastic with the time that he is ahead of contador.. it is the first time that this happen in a GT! :)