• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 512 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Valverde should do Skygate 2.0 in stage five,then he can win le Tour!:D
Im really dont know what to expect from nibbles btw
...but thats off topic

valverde is ON FIRE at Ruta del Sol! Contador wasn't that bad for second day of racing. But compare to Valverde, he is a little behind maybe? *is this valverde first race?* Nibbles.. not so sure where he is now. Seems that his mind is occupied with being a first time dad. *that's huge*. His not upthere showing kinda a little concerning. Reminding me of Contador last year. Chasing his form all season. Hopefully he won't be just a hype like contador vs froome last year.

Jelantik said:
valverde is ON FIRE at Ruta del Sol! Contador wasn't that bad for second day of racing. But compare to Valverde, he is a little behind maybe? *is this valverde first race?* Nibbles.. not so sure where he is now. Seems that his mind is occupied with being a first time dad. *that's huge*. His not upthere showing kinda a little concerning. Reminding me of Contador last year. Chasing his form all season. Hopefully he won't be just a hype like contador vs froome last year.

No. He raced at Dubai.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
IMO this year is the same story than last year with him. He is not going to be worse, maybe he can even improve, but he is not going to be really better.

He said today is a good result to be the second day of race of the year.

And that is true, he has been 3rd, and Kiatlowski and Rui Costa have race more this year already.

But he must say: before my santion time I used to came here and win easyly in my first day, even when I had said I didnt want to win or I was still out out shape. etc...as Valverde did today...but now things are different.. I am up there, but similar o worse to others...

But there will be again speculation about his real form, and about he is waiting for the Tour, where he will be contender, but maybe again not the best of the team, and not among the top strongest riders.

Last year one of the ITT was good for him... the team did a big TTT...a nd he was regular all the Tour, with an strong team, and even Nieve helped him...but he wanst on of the strongers riders.

He will have more options in the Vuelta, he can put time on Purito in the ITT, but, dificult to beat him or another riders.

But it is just my opinion, I hope he can perform according his hight payment.

This is so funny. :D thanks.

Taxus4a said:
IMO this year is the same story than last year with him. He is not going to be worse, maybe he can even improve, but he is not going to be really better.

He said today is a good result to be the second day of race of the year.

And that is true, he has been 3rd, and Kiatlowski and Rui Costa have race more this year already.

But he must say: before my santion time I used to came here and win easyly in my first day, even when I had said I didnt want to win or I was still out out shape. etc...as Valverde did today...but now things are different.. I am up there, but similar o worse to others...

But there will be again speculation about his real form, and about he is waiting for the Tour, where he will be contender, but maybe again not the best of the team, and not among the top strongest riders.

Probably, yeah. He could still finish second in this race, though, ahead of Costa, which would be a good enough result for him. A third place would be passable, I guess. For the current Contador, that is.

It's more important for him to put in a podium-worthy performance in T-A, though, with its much stronger field, and don't lose too much time to Froome there. After T-A it will be clear, IMO.

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Probably, yeah. He could still finish second in this race, though, ahead of Costa, which would be a good enough result for him. A third place would be passable, I guess. For the current Contador, that is.

It's more important for him to put in a podium-worthy performance in T-A, though, with its much stronger field, and don't lose too much time to Froome there. After T-A it will be clear, IMO.

TA doesn't include really hard stage and this will be decided in TT, no?

TearMeApart said:
TA doesn't include really hard stage and this will be decided in TT, no?

No really hard stages, no, but that's all the more reason that he "should" put in a good performance there. I don't buy the "Contador will save himself for the Tour" talk, either. The idea was to follow a similar approach as in his best years, so a convincing performance in T-A would be essential, IMO. I don't think it's likely that other stage races before the Tour de France will be a bigger target for him.

He used to boss short time trials in the not so distant past. Or at least was pretty damn good at them. Let's see how he does today.

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
18-Valve. (pithy) said:
No really hard stages, no, but that's all the more reason that he "should" put in a good performance there. I don't buy the "Contador will save himself for the Tour" talk, either. The idea was to follow a similar approach as in his best years, so a convincing performance in T-A would be essential, IMO. I don't think it's likely that other stage races before the Tour de France will be a bigger target for him.

He used to boss short time trials in the not so distant past. Or at least was pretty damn good at them. Let's see how he does today.

An 'only Tour' approach doesn't exist. It has never worked for any rider but Schleck and Menchov partially. Nobody expected good results on one week races from them, though, so the rider just has it or doesn't have. That's easy. So we'll get quite comprehensive info on Contador on Tirreno.

TearMeApart said:
An 'only Tour' approach doesn't exist. It has never worked for any rider but Schleck and Menchov partially. Nobody expected good results on one week races from them, though, so the rider just has it or doesn't have. That's easy. So we'll get quite comprehensive info on Contador on Tirreno.

how many races did armstrong win before the tour, a couple of Dauphines? And what about Ullrich?

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
how many races did armstrong win before the tour, a couple of Dauphines? And what about Ullrich?

Armstrong had been riding the tour, having a lot of interesting stuff in the tank, roughly the same like Contador was riding the Dauphine in 2009-2010. So it's not a matter of number of wins, IMO.

TearMeApart said:
Armstrong had been riding the tour, having a lot of interesting stuff in the tank, roughly the same like Contador was riding the Dauphine in 2009-2010. So it's not a matter of number of wins, IMO.

My point was that "tour only approach" does exist, and has been quite normal through the years. US Postal, Telekom with Ullrich and Kloden (Vino exception as he won everywhere). Frenchies trying atleast :)p)

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
My point was that "tour only approach" does exist, and has been quite normal through the years. US Postal, Telekom with Ullrich and Kloden (Vino exception as he won everywhere). Frenchies trying atleast :)p)

How many riders that changed their approach so drastically in this regard you remember?

TearMeApart said:
How many riders that changed their approach so drastically in this regard you remember?

not really sure what you are asking for here?
But over the years the riders that can compete in normal 1 week stage races and in 3 weeks races has not allways been the same (your examples of Andy and Menchov are very good), and so has it been in earlier times to. Just because Sky came and started winning everything from february to July doesnt mean that that has been the norm.
How many victories outside of gt does Pantani have for example?

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
not really sure what you are asking for here?
But over the years the riders that can compete in normal 1 week stage races and in 3 weeks races has not allways been the same (your examples of Andy and Menchov are very good), and so has it been in earlier times to. Just because Sky came and started winning everything from february to July doesnt mean that that has been the norm.
How many victories outside of gt does Pantani have for example?

My point is riders who got used to winning a lot never betray their habit. Yes, Alberto Contador is far away from his best form right now but it relates to all the rest as well, so they are all in the same conditions, no?

TearMeApart said:
My point is riders who got used to winning a lot never betray their habit. Yes, Alberto Contador is far away from his best form right now but it relates to all the rest as well, so they are all in the same conditions, no?

I have no doubt about that AC is nowhere close to where he has been, but Kwiat seems to be in very good shape, and Costa looks to have put down some really impressive training his winter. When AC won this race in 10 for example it was Machado he beat, not the current world champion and one of the biggest talents we have in cycling

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I have no doubt about that AC is nowhere close to where he has been, but Kwiat seems to be in very good shape, and Costa looks to have put down some really impressive training his winter. When AC won this race in 10 for example it was Machado he beat, not the current world champion and one of the biggest talents we have in cycling

Honestly I fail to search any regularities in this. Surely the time itself brings some changes. :) Both Costa and Kwiatkowski are narrower specialits at short uphill sprint TODAY and so it's not surprising.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
quite intriguing isn't it? is he on track or same as last year or better but no where near his best? speculation, speculation... :D I hope he is giving us some kind of a hope today. Valverde, Quintana, Evan, Porte are already showed they are on fire on their first racing. Just waiting for Froome today and tomorrow. So non sense that the rider can be at least in some kind of good form. This is a battle of winter training. Who gets the most out of their training. This is the new era of cycling. Thanks to sky, I guess... coz' now we can see some exciting race.. doesn't matter how small and how early.

Jelantik said:
quite intriguing isn't it? is he on track or same as last year or better but no where near his best? speculation, speculation... :D I hope he is giving us some kind of a hope today. Valverde, Quintana, Evan, Porte are already showed they are on fire on their first racing. Just waiting for Froome today and tomorrow. So non sense that the rider can be at least in some kind of good form. This is a battle of winter training. Who gets the most out of their training. This is the new era of cycling. Thanks to sky, I guess... coz' now we can see some exciting race.. doesn't matter how small and how early.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

TRENDING THREADS