• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 571 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Contador
Kreuziger
Rogers
Roche
Bena
Tosatto
Mørkøv
Paulinho
Jesus
Reserves: Rory/N.Sørensen

I would say it´s pretty much straight forward, for the cobbles they don´t need more than Bena, Tosa and Mørkøv, only question is if the team wants a more suited climber than Tosatto is and will bring Rory or Sørensen instead, Sørensen proved he can ride cobbles as well, so for me that will be the only issue to think about, do they want to replace Tosatto with Sørensen, or maybe Rory.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Bl9ltqQIQAADtrG.jpg

A very young boy in the great ONCE clothes.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
And for La Vuelta? I know there's still time left but considering that Alberto will also need some of these guys for La Vuelta; who will ride La Vuelta? I think that the team will probably save Paulinho for La Vuelta, so it will probably be...

Tour:
Contador
Kreuziger
Rogers
Roche
Benna
Tosatto
Mørkøv
Rory
Jesus

Vuelta:
Contador
Paulinho
N.Sørensen

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Rory's chances just plummeted when Rogers got aquited

Not necessarily. On paper Rogers is for sure the pick to go with. But he hasn't raced all year (not sure how hard he's been training). If Sutherland continues to prove himself to be a strong domestique and Rogers doesn't or can't get into form or do much work for Contador then Sutherland could be in.

I do agree however, most likely scenario is Rogers get's the spot if it's a case of one or the other. He still has plenty of time to get into form. Would be nice to see Sutherland get to ride the Tour; always have liked him.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
As much as Rory has been having a nice season. I would prefer a rider who has been there done it before. Especially for this Tour. Alberto is coming into great form. I would not put a rider on the roster who has not ridden the tour before.
I would also hold Rory out of the Tour. And have him fresh for Vuelta.
Roche had nothing in last years tour. So if he rides a good Giro. He should be Lean enough for the Tour.

Just my $.02

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
thehook said:
As much as Rory has been having a nice season. I would prefer a rider who has been there done it before. Especially for this Tour. Alberto is coming into great form. I would not put a rider on the roster who has not ridden the tour before.
I would also hold Rory out of the Tour. And have him fresh for Vuelta.
Roche had nothing in last years tour. So if he rides a good Giro. He should be Lean enough for the Tour.

Just my $.02

Completely agree with your 2 cents :)

Can't see Rory on the Tour team barring an injury etc.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think Rory can be a very big help for Contador. More so than Roche, Hernandez or Sergio.

I think so too, except Roche. Rory has more 'body', is more versatile and is going very well this season. Jesus lacks all of that (especially this year it seems) and Paulinho seems to have had his best days behind him. Although he, to give him credit, he has always been there when necessary (and not necessarily expected) like the 2012 Vuelta raid and more recently in the Basque country.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Not necessarily. On paper Rogers is for sure the pick to go with. But he hasn't raced all year (not sure how hard he's been training). If Sutherland continues to prove himself to be a strong domestique and Rogers doesn't or can't get into form or do much work for Contador then Sutherland could be in.

I do agree however, most likely scenario is Rogers get's the spot if it's a case of one or the other. He still has plenty of time to get into form. Would be nice to see Sutherland get to ride the Tour; always have liked him.

based on this photo (taken from his twitter profile pic), this looks like Rogers has been training even in his TT bike. (judging from his new TS jersey, this at least as recent as january, if not even recent). So he's been in TS roaster all along and the fact that he's been in TS training camp, most recently etna. He will have a full 2 months before TDF. I think he'll be ready for the Tour. Rogers is the undisputed road captain, so they need him on the road for TDF and unfortunately Rory is not. Would love to see Rory make it, but i don't think in the expense of leaving Rogers behind. (unless Rogers's form sucks)

RY9BhEOL.jpeg

Jelantik said:
based on this photo (taken from his twitter profile pic), this looks like Rogers has been training even in his TT bike. (judging from his new TS jersey, this at least as recent as january, if not even recent). So he's been in TS roaster all along and the fact that he's been in TS training camp, most recently etna. He will have a full 2 months before TDF. I think he'll be ready for the Tour. Rogers is the undisputed road captain, so they need him on the road for TDF and unfortunately Rory is not. Would love to see Rory make it, but i don't think in the expense of leaving Rogers behind. (unless Rogers's form sucks)

5ac33381-9c7f-4766-811f-975286b3bffd_zpsc7ec933e.jpg

Is that Rogers?

Jelantik said:

5ac33381-9c7f-4766-811f-975286b3bffd_zpsc7ec933e.jpg

My...Rogers looks quite different these days...:D He kinda looks like Contador. Is he gonna perform like him. :eek:

sacrifice&hardwork said:
And for La Vuelta? I know there's still time left but considering that Alberto will also need some of these guys for La Vuelta; who will ride La Vuelta? I think that the team will probably save Paulinho for La Vuelta, so it will probably be...

Vuelta:
Contador
Paulinho
N.Sørensen

I would put Rogers in there (should be relatively fresh). Majka will probably ride it too. Beltran maybe:confused: CAS should definitely go into a squad.
If only they had Navarro still :(

Publicus said:
I can't recall where I read it, but he admitted he wasn't on his best form at the Tour last year, but was at the Vuelta. All indications are that is focused on being his best at the Giro. As such, I think he'll go too deep at the Giro in an attempt to finish on the podium and come in under done for the Tour.

I would be really surprised if that happened- last year at the Vuelta he was great but the climbs were more suited to his higher weight. Consecutive mountains (that are longer) at the Giro i think will prove to be his undoing. Also he gained 5th by Pozzovivo and Pinot being caught out on a flat stage (not undermining his performance- it's smart he gained he time on the flat/ he rode brilliantly to gain a mountain stage).

greenedge said:
I would put Rogers in there (should be relatively fresh). Majka will probably ride it too. Beltran maybe:confused: CAS should definitely go into a squad.
If only they had Navarro still :(

I would be really surprised if that happened- last year at the Vuelta he was great but the climbs were more suited to his higher weight. Consecutive mountains (that are longer) at the Giro i think will prove to be his undoing. Also he gained 5th by Pozzovivo and Pinot being caught out on a flat stage (not undermining his performance- it's smart he gained he time on the flat/ he rode brilliantly to gain a mountain stage).

As you'll note I said "he'd go too deep IN AN ATTEMPT to finish on the on podium." I don't think he will actually make it on the podium

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
infeXio said:
Is that Rogers?

well, it's from his twitter pic profile. I doubted if he put some else pic there since it is his twitter account :D. Unless he likes to put some else pic on his twitter profile pic, then I dunno. But he does looks slim, then he is ready.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Interesting comment from Rogers. Giro for him?? (Sorry it's not about contador, but indirectly)

The UCI cleared Rogers on Wednesday, ending his four-month provisional suspension. Tinkoff-Saxo immediately named him to its team for Liège-Bastogne-Liège. He already has his sights set on racing the Giro d’Italia next month. “Why not race the Giro? Once you know how to swim you can always jump into the deep end,” Rogers said.

“We only decided to come here in the last moment. The ultimate goal is to get back to the Tour de France. It’s certainly still possible. I haven’t missed a day of training.”

Read more at http://velonews.competitor.com/2014...-clenbuterol-risks_325520#vCEXiX0OOR3VfP4t.99

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Interesting comment from Rogers. Giro for him?? (Sorry it's not about contador, but indirectly)

Well, if they use as preparation for the tour it would be a very good idea, he surely did his training all these months and just needs the race milages in his legs, I think we will see a Rogers on fire in the tour, fresh and ready to rumble, handing out pain to anybody on his wheel.

Bring July ;)

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Whoever wrote that article should be ashamed.

Stating that Contador's ITT level is inconsistent since his case in 2010 is completely false.

First of all Contador's ITT wasn't that good in 2010 before the clenbuterol case to begin with.

Second of all Contador's ITT skill were superb in 2011 and not inconsistent at all.

Which can mean 2 things: Or the journalist didn't do proper research or he ignored it for the sake of accusing Contador of doping.

Oh well, cyclist journalists usually suck and lack any research skills.

TRENDING THREADS