• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 595 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Contador is not riding there to win, he's there to improve his chances of winning the Tour. He knows that going full throttle and giving all you have is a recipe for disaster.

There's only one way of riding that Froome knows, and it's going full genius. If he can't drop Contador, he might waste himself completely and regret it during the last week of the Tour de France

Afrank said:
Very nice riding by him today. Froome was giving it his all multiple times but couldn't drop him. May not have beat him in the sprint, but hanging with him like he did is a big improvement in relation to how he did last year.

Agreed. At first I was very disappointed but he managed to follow Froome (be it on the verge of cracking). I he can hang on at the TDF everything is possible.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Super strong. He did exactly what he was supposed to, and no doubt this came as a big surprise to Anorexia, no way he had expected AC to be able to hold to his wheel, not all the way up, it was so clear.
Its obvious Anorexia is here to win, AC isnt.

And not to forget, AC havent raced for almost 8 weeks, and start out with such an effort after an altitude training is very hard, and he can only do that if the condition is where it should be.

The other guy...question is if he peaks to soon, or put to much effort into it so early, I hope he continues. I hope his psyco mentality will take control.

Bring July.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
Very nice riding by him today. Froome was giving it his all multiple times but couldn't drop him. May not have beat him in the sprint, but hanging with him like he did is a big improvement in relation to how he did last year.

Nah in the Tout AC needs to drop CF, not the other way around, but the Tour mountain is still a few weeks away, so plenty time to further improve

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
Nah in the Tout AC needs to drop CF, not the other way around, but the Tour mountain is still a few weeks away, so plenty time to further improve

Well the other way around is Froome dropping Contador, and that didn't happen.

Considering that this was the first big test (2nd I guess if you count the TT, but it was only 10 Km's) for the two and that Contador is coming off no racing for 8 weeks and altitude training; it was a very good ride by him. And I agree, he still has time to, and should, improve further.

Great ride by Alberto today. The attack Froome made at 5k to go felt to me like he thought he was going to drop them all right there. When Alberto clinged to his wheel he went mental. That attack at 4k to go he was out of the saddle for so long trying to crack alberto but he failed. Mind games definitely in Contador's favor. Bring on the tour, Froome won't know what hit him.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 21m
Hot and busy day in Dauphine , engine at high rpm,but getting better day by day. Tomorrow more! @tinkoff_saxo pic.twitter.com/1jCSmkHsWS

Now I recognize him again! :)

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Alberto must have had some good sensations to be able to follow Froome today, but he was never going to win this stage. Let's see how their duel will end, I'm convinced Contador has more freshness. This year he will keep his promises of attacking Froome, but we might have to wait until the Tour, the third week even.

Pentacycle said:
Alberto must have had some good sensations to be able to follow Froome today, but he was never going to win this stage. Let's see how their duel will end, I'm convinced Contador has more freshness. This year he will keep his promises of attacking Froome, but we might have to wait until the Tour, the third week even.

Indeed, as long as he can make Froome nervous by not dropping he has a chance. Froome is bound to do stupid things if he can't just go ahead and drop everybody. He has zero understanding of tactics

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Froome has no fvcking idea with whom he is dealing with.
He wants to dominate even in-form Contador (that evil contador:D),and thats just not possible cuz its 7GT champion and terrific climber,he can beat him comes Tour,but with little margin.

Lol he really thinks he can drop him big time in-form(AC),thats beyond ridiculous and any kind of possible level of self-confidence:eek:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Would have liked to see him attack but this was the smart thing to do imo.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Too passive to like it. But he saves his attacks for the TDF

I for once didn't believe that contador would attack on today's stage. And I agree he did the smart thing here. I think, he probably tried to gauge froome's strength on the first mountain and compares to his. Brushes off some rustiness. On the other hand, Froome seemed to me, looked so desperate to drop Contador and tried to decimate the field like last year. But it didn't happen, because Contador glued to his wheel. Contador seemed to be on the rivet too when they got to the line and maybe that's why he couldn't sprint pass Froome? All in all, it was a smart ride by contador. Last year with that kind of attack, Froome would already been soloed to the finish line. Good news is Contador showed that his early season form is no fluke

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
Kreuziger was crap, so he needed someone else to help him.

Lol you are brave man,he will kill you:D

To the topic:
It looks like everybody forgot that Contador is the worst sprinter between GC guys (ok Nibali and Nairo lol);)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Apparently, Contador had mechanical problems while standing on the pedals.

well.. that's a good luck there. if he ended up has to stop, Froome probably thought he had crushed Contador. Considering he got mechanical too, and still hang well, makes it even more interesting for the weekend.

TRENDING THREADS