• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 625 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Did they say they'll skip it because it messes with their Tour prep? I think in Alberto's case it's just a case of can't be bothered.

Yeah Fuglsang and Roche did.

EDIt: Bak did the same.

Also a part of it that both Bak and Fuglsang dont have a team to help them and the chances of them winning af therefore slim. Also, regarding Bak, he wants to spend some time near his family before having to be away for 3 weeks during the Tour. And then the actual Tour prep (and the prep also includes focussing metally fully on the Tour and also relex mentally before 3 stressing weeks as Bak states). Btw as a "punishment" the national DS have stated that both Bak and Fuglsang wont be selected for the WC as a consequence.

Link reg Roche:
http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-...-says-he-needs-to-rest-before-tour-de-france/

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I definitely think Nats should be after the WC. It would have a lot of riders on form. It would also give riders the entire next season to showcase their jersey on fresh legs.
As far as Berto racing Nats. Is it really worth it to him. Or any other top GT contender. To travel from his training base to put in a hard effort. Maybe crash out of Le Tour.
One other point on Oleg & Berto. Oleg pays Conta to win races and fly the colors in the big races. What ever your opinion is. You have to agree Alberto is the best GT rider in the world and has been for some time now. His ban to me was BS. But that is another argument all together. NO RIDER has been hit harder in race results taken. Yes Oleg is a huge cycling supporter. However his brand/name gets World Wide exposure for a short price. Still bogells my mind how a Microsoft/Apple/Ford/GMC. Do not own sponsor a team. Per $ spent compared to there overall marketing budget Cycling is pennies on a dollar.

Just my $.02

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
phanatic said:
Well, there was one.

You are correct. But to me he WON those races.......As has Alberto.That is another debate.
You don't leave a record book empty like they are now.
Just makes the sport look like hypocrites!

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i thought i read somewhere that Contador's salary comes from his sponsors and oleg doesn't pay anything at all. this was around the time the team had money trouble.

are the ref to Oleg paying AC in a literal or a figurative sense?

EDIT: spotted the link in cycling news oct 2013 . says Specialized pays him 2 mill euros per year. his salary was 2.15 million.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i dont like the idea that Oleg is paying for AC. esp after last yrs tweets, i hate oleg. even if he rides the course of all GTs, i dont think i will change my mind about him.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
murali said:
i dont like the idea that Oleg is paying for AC. esp after last yrs tweets, i hate oleg. even if he rides the course of all GTs, i dont think i will change my mind about him.

Why do you hate him? What has this man done to you in order for you to hate him? Just cause he talked a bit of trash to Contador? Besides Tinkov wasn't completely wrong about Contador last year.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, Tinkov's a moron IMO. Good that he saved the team and all that. But doesn't change the stupidity of some of the comments he's made in the past.

For example, he comments of naming a dog Froome and beating it every day. He tried to pass off those kind of comments as jokes, but there really isn't anything funny about them, there just stupid. Plus pretty much insulting Contador on a public setting when he isn't able to win. He should keep those kind of things private.

Afrank said:
Yeah, Tinkov's a moron IMO. Good that he saved the team and all that. But doesn't change the stupidity of some of the comments he's made in the past.

For example, he comments of naming a dog Froome and beating it every day. He tried to pass off those kind of comments as jokes, but there really isn't anything funny about them, there just stupid. Plus pretty much insulting Contador on a public setting when he isn't able to win. He should keep those kind of things private.

^ this pretty much

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I don't like Tinkov either.

rian_01303807.hr.en.si.jpg

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
So a Billionare who owns his team. Is not allowed to comment on his riders? I get the whole "Praise in public, Scold in private". But he was right about Berto last year. As big a fan of Conta as I'am. He was outworked last year by SKY. And he still was a top 5. And he knew it after the tour. His comments about his off season this year have shown that.

So just so I understand this. We want big time sponsors in our sport to just hand over the cash and STFU?
C'mon Oleg is a big *** clown. He tells you so himself. He loves cycling. Gotta say this. If I had his cash I would own a team. And I would have a blast doing it! Just like he Is!!!! He enjoys the **** out of his team/money. Good for him. And great for our sport!

The hole beating a dog named FROOME thing. He is RUSSIAN! He is breaking your balls! Lighten up! The Wiggo thing on Twitter today. Is humor!! Tweak SKY! Have Fun doing what your passion is! I applaud him!

And if he reads these boards.
Thanks alot for buying my team.
Defending your riders at the GIRO
Showing the world cycling ownership is a blast!
And from what I see creating a atmosphere where your riders. Want to do well for the Team/Family/Boss. That to me will make riders want to ride for your team in the future. Like OMQS classics team does.

Just my $.02

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i dont mind if a team owner shows frustration. its just that there is a line that an owner shouldn't cross during an event. esp., when the rider in question is giving his all.

no problem if others love him. but i hate him.

thehook said:
So a Billionare who owns his team. Is not allowed to comment on his riders? I get the whole "Praise in public, Scold in private". But he was right about Berto last year. As big a fan of Conta as I'am. He was outworked last year by SKY. And he still was a top 5. And he knew it after the tour. His comments about his off season this year have shown that.

So just so I understand this. We want big time sponsors in our sport to just hand over the cash and STFU?
C'mon Oleg is a big *** clown. He tells you so himself. He loves cycling. Gotta say this. If I had his cash I would own a team. And I would have a blast doing it! Just like he Is!!!! He enjoys the **** out of his team/money. Good for him. And great for our sport!

The hole beating a dog named FROOME thing. He is RUSSIAN! He is breaking your balls! Lighten up! The Wiggo thing on Twitter today. Is humor!! Tweak SKY! Have Fun doing what your passion is! I applaud him!

And if he reads these boards.
Thanks alot for buying my team.
Defending your riders at the GIRO
Showing the world cycling ownership is a blast!
And from what I see creating a atmosphere where your riders. Want to do well for the Team/Family/Boss. That to me will make riders want to ride for your team in the future. Like OMQS classics team does.

Just my $.02

You seemed to have a lot of spare coins. :D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
murali said:
i dont mind if a team owner shows frustration. its just that there is a line that an owner shouldn't cross during an event. esp., when the rider in question is giving his all.

no problem if others love him. but i hate him.
There is no line for russians,believe me...they dont think it bad way,they are just russians;)

Zam_Olyas said:
Meh, i like tinkov ever since he called me and thehitch a troll. :D

Lol,really?:D twitter?:D

TRENDING THREADS