• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 750 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Well Froome could still train on the turbo even though his hand was broken, he was only off the road for less than 2 weeks, by that point AC was still a few days off getting back on the bike for the first time completely if timescales can be believed. Froome would surely have had a much better prep which is why people are more confident. He had already said he be ready for this before the Tour was finished.
The sure thing is,if he feels good,he will put a massive fireworks in stage 6 to distance Contador.;)

Pricey_sky said:
Well Froome could still train on the turbo even though his hand was broken, he was only off the road for less than 2 weeks, by that point AC was still a few days off getting back on the bike for the first time completely if timescales can be believed. Froome would surely have had a much better prep which is why people are more confident. He had already said he be ready for this before the Tour was finished.

Thanks! I have not pin-pointed Froomes preparation but after what you say it sounds as if he is a little bit better prepared. Although not so much as it has been voiced and wont mark those distances in shape to whats been heard. The differences is that while Froome/Sky been quite open about it TS has left contradicted statements (if not flat out lying) as far as preparation concers and setting the bar very low.

Not trying to hype up anything here. We will have our answers in time. But i find it hard to believe that AC will be dropped by minutes, "barely hang on" and everything we have heard. The Twitter-photo doesnt suggest a man about to be humiliated. He is ready.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
This vuelta really reminds me of the giro 2008.

I remember that in the first day (TTT) Contador was suffering, the next day (hilly finish of 2 km) Contador lost 20 sec on Ricco.

5 days later he was the only one who could follow Ricco and di luca. He was hurting like hell but he did it.

One of his most impressive performances, he can repeat it. Don't let them go on thursday, just like you did in the giro. If you can hold on in that stage you can win this!

Miburo said:
This vuelta really reminds me of the giro 2008.

I remember that in the first day (TTT) Contador was suffering, the next day (hilly finish of 2 km) Contador lost 20 sec on Ricco.

5 days later he was the only one who could follow Ricco and di luca. He was hurting like hell but he did it.

One of his most impressive performances, he can repeat it. Don't let them go on thursday, just like you did in the giro. If you can hold on in that stage you can win this!

I agree, I expected too.

I also believe that his form is better than what he wants to believe in us. In the end, even if the injury was quite serious, he was stopped just two weeks.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
It isn't. But they will anyway. And then when he fails they'll get mad at him. Go Figure!!!

Based on what? Contador has no obligation to perform in this vuelta after his injury, i'm just stating what he can do. I'm already gratefull he's riding this vuelta.

Bvk7hGYIcAA_Xcv.jpg

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Jspear said:
Don't say that! Let them dream. :) That is worst than telling a child that Santa doesn't exist.

It's not a dream, it's very much possible.
If he doesn't make it then it doesn't matter. But I'll be thinking that it was not a great decision to start the race.

Carols said:
LOL then the posts there referring to Alberto being dropped for minutes etc must be from folks I have on Ignore :D:D

I cant offer any directs quotes for that since that is my totally subjective opinion about (some) of the discussions that was going on in the Vuelta-threads and beyond. At this point in time these are as valid as when keyboard doctors overreacted Albertos injuries and said he shouldn´t ride at all according to injuries they didnt have any details about. Same goes for his current form (or lack thereof).

Carols said:
Mostly baseless hype here LOL!

Hardly. It is more of a realistic view. Although i dont think he will be in the best shape of his life i certainly dont think he´ll be as bad (in comparison to the top Dawgs) as some might think.

Jagartrott said:
Guys, seriously, I don't think it's very fair to expect Contador to beat this field after what he went through.

I dont like the attitude which circles around that Dawg (after what he has been trough) should automatically be considered a flying top dog while a strikingly pessimistic tone sets in when discussing AC. This is disrespectful to the legend IMO. Saying that i expect him to win is not the point here.

BlurryVII said:
It's not a dream, it's very much possible.
If he doesn't make it then it doesn't matter. But I'll be thinking that it was not a great decision to start the race.

It is more or less a dream...but that's fine. I'm hoping right along with you all (just maybe with a little less certainty. :)) Of course I'm glad he is racing...let's just hope he doesn't re injure himself because then we will all be regretting his decision to race.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
And here it is ""No vengo bien preparado, pero no voy a regalar a la general"

"I'm not very well prepared, but I'm not gonna just give away the GC win" something like that

He is not going to lose a huge amount of time to go in breakaways and win stages, that was never going to happen anyway.

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I believe he can win it, don't have any rational facts to base my opinion, but he will do anything possible to take this Vuelta home and revenge his crash that destroyed his Tour hopes.

Hopefully at stage 6 his form will be enough to limit his losses to GC contenders.

TRENDING THREADS