• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 936 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Nah, I've ridden up both. The side from Leonessa, not Rieti, is harder. Perhaps it is the narrower road and poorer surface that plays a factor. In addition the Rieti side toward the end flattens out nicely, although the last few k are tough again. Whereas the Leonessa side is tough the whole last 10 k.

Look, the go up until 1675 m. They don't do the whole climb (until 1675 m). Only the last km is flat (2%).
When you look at the profile it's 15 km ...constantly uphill...average over 7%.

I repeat...the other side from Leonessa has only 10 km of climbing....average 7.43 %. If you arrive at the top (1900 m).
I understand that it may seem harder...especially when the roads are narrow...and there are a couple of steep km (9-10 %).
But overall - it's barely a difference , not even 0.5% in average steepness. And the other side is much longer.

Dr. Juice said:
Look, the go up until 1675 m. They don't do the whole climb (until 1675 m). Only the last km is flat (2%).
When you look at the profile it's 15 km ...constantly uphill...average over 7%.

I repeat...the other side from Leonessa has only 10 km of climbing....average 7.43 %. If you arrive at the top (1900 m).
I understand that it may seem harder...especially when the roads are narrow...and there are a couple of steep km (9-10 %).
But overall - it's barely a difference , not even 0.5% in average steepness. And the other side is much longer.

Yes, well considering they only go up to 1675 then ok. Evidently its too cold with snow to go any higher.

I have raced up the Leonessa side 4 times and riden it 3 times training, while I have done the Rieti side I think 3 times training. Certainly racing up it also conditions my viewpoint, however, the last 10 k of the Leonessa climb doesn't give you a break. At any rate, it would be better if they were going all the way to the summit.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
Yeah, it's not just one person. But if they have reason to believe this to be the case then I don't see the problem with them talking about it.

If they're spreading a false rumor, on the other hand, sure, but we don't know that yet. Hard to judge them at this point, IMO.

The "reason" is that in the past Alberto has "said one thing and done the other":rolleyes:

Pricey_sky said:
1 anonymous rider (Lopez) doesn't represent the whole team Flo.

How can he be "anonymous" if we know he is saying it? It's not like he's asked for anonymity when he made the statement.

I wouldn't put it past Froome to be playing mind games. I have the sneaking suspicion that his dropping back on climbs and then valiantly fighting back is his way of working over his rivals. So confident is he in his superiorty over his rivals that he can sit back, give them a gap, bridge that gap AND then attack! He is so confident that the element of surprise is not in his arsenal because he doesn't need it. He simply rides his rivals off of his wheel. The only time that didn't work was in 3 encounters with Contador: 2 in the Vuelta and one in the Dauphine. If my suspicions are true it's scary what gap exists in the mountains and versus the clock between him and his grand tour/stage racing rivals. I only hope that Contador and Nibali and to lesser extent, Quintana, can raise their games to make it interesting. The way Sky can be 1/4 into the final climb of a mtf and still have 4-5 riders setting such an infernal pace that it's dropping some of the world's best climbers doesn't bode well for the immediate future. I just don't see Tinkoff-Saxo and Astana having the firepower to contend with that. Only the rather unorthodox (for this era of cycling) tactics will likely derail them.

I hope I'm wrong.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Realistically It will be tough. But only Contador has a chance of doing such a feat. He has laid down a challenge and scared off his rivals who can only hope he will be spent by the time the tour comes round. More so than ever I want him to win the tour and destroy all those before him especially ET faced mr Confusing limbs Froome.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Yep we will need to wait we got told Contador would have no chance to recover to the Vuelta but he did, then he would not win but he did. Tinkov also runs is mouth alot thinking riders are scared of Alberto, thats why Froome rides ever race virtually Contador rides lol. I think he rides the Giro btw but who knows. Will be funny if he does not.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Jspear said:
I agree it is unlikely, but remember; in cycling never say never. :)

Yep true but Giro TDF is a huge feat these days. To win 3 just seems impossible lol. There has been more Giro/TDF winners than TDV/VaE winners but we know which one is harder.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Yep we will need to wait we got told Contador would have no chance to recover to the Vuelta but he did, then he would not win but he did. Tinkov also runs is mouth alot thinking riders are scared of Alberto, thats why Froome rides ever race virtually Contador rides lol. I think he rides the Giro btw but who knows. Will be funny if he does not.

Yes, Tinkov talks a lot of bs just because he always wants to be present in the media.

LaFlorecita said:
Can Sagan's stage-hunting ambitions coexist with Contador's GC focus?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/news/contador-sagan-link-first-time-tirreno-adriatico_362238

what do you guys think? at first I thought it wouldn't be an issue but now I'm starting to doubt it.

It is my opinion that anytime you have dual purposes like this in a grand tour, it is the gc side that suffers. If you have to eventually chase down breaks on flat and/or intermediate stages over the course of 3 weeks to ensure your points jersey guy has his opportunities to contend for that category's top spot, it will inevitably weaken your team over the course of the 3 weeks. That can't bode well for the crunch time of the 3rd week. To complicate matters more their team will be stretched thinner than most with Contador attempting the double. I can imagine that if Sagan goes into the Tour without a big win in any of the classics, the pressure to deliver at the Tour will be immense, especially if Tinkoff continues with his less than timely bombastic media statements.

Ideally, if they truly thought that this was doable (the double) the focus would be on ensuring that Contador has the best opportunity to succeed and that would be with 2 teams (Giro and Tour) dedicated to making it happen. I can see why they would sign Sagan and maybe this ambitious undertaking of Contador's and the team is just a coincidence but it complicates the success of Contador's ambition more than it helps it. There will be no rest for the weary over the course of the Tour. The team will be working on each and every stage. The more I think about it the more worrisome it is that Contador will be knackered come the 3rd week as will his team.

LaFlorecita said:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/news/contador-sagan-link-first-time-tirreno-adriatico_362238

what do you guys think? at first I thought it wouldn't be an issue but now I'm starting to doubt it.
Easy peasy if they are smart about it and don't get too greedy. Sagan isn't Cavendish. He can take care of himself, just remember the 2012 Tour. Green will still be a walkover for him, so he doesn't need his team to reel in breakaways for him.

edit: the green jersey will be between him and Cav (perhaps Kittel too, lol). If Sagan gets in monster form he will score points on Huy, Mur de Bretagne, Mende, Rodez, Gap and of course some breaks in the mountains if he needs to. He can also work as a helper for Alberto in that case, just imagine him in the break in the Glandon stage waiting at the top of Glandon after taking the intermediate before that, ready to help Contador distance Froome on the descent.

Since neither Cav nor Kittel will feature in the cobbles stage, Sagan won't lose by being a dedicated helper for Alberto there. He will help Contador more than he will require help from other team mates imo.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
peloton said:
Any guesses what Tinkov's 'big news' next week is?

Doubt it's a new sponsor, maybe he'll announce Contador is going for the triple :eek:

Maybe it's about their new group "Velo". Several big teams are part of it. It's a group that wants to promote new ways of organizing cycling. (share revenue etc.) That would be my guess. But not sure why they pick Oleg to be the mouth piece if it's about them. Why it won't be brailsford? just a guess

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

with Contador wants to do double, I think something gotta give. It's difficult to try to win both. Up until today, TS only clocks 1 win. Sagan has been near missed couple times to win a stage. If Sagan doesn't win any of the classics monument, the pressure is going to be high for him to win the green jersey at the tour. If Contador doesn't win the Giro, the pressure will be high for Contador too. That would be the worst scenario for TS, if one both of them fail to complete their first objective of their season. Because they both will be motivated to want to win their respective jersey. Then which one is the team has to put their more effort on? With the high caliber of GC contender this year, Contador can't spare anyone to freelance for Sagan. No one can stand to chase everyone on flat and the mountain everyday. Something gotta give.

TRENDING THREADS