• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1083 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

ray j willings said:
I just want to say as a unbiased Bertie fan that no way was Landa a better climber in this tour than Bertie.
In my non biased opinion and using stats made up in my own head I have Bertie 33 minutes ahead of Landa and if you add the TT that goes up to over 2 days
This graph will help fill in the details of my mind

graph.png

Where's the motor in the drawing?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:
I just want to say as a unbiased Bertie fan that no way was Landa a better climber in this tour than Bertie.
In my non biased opinion and using stats made up in my own head I have Bertie 33 minutes ahead of Landa and if you add the TT that goes up to over 2 days

graph.png

Dude, you're an absolute legend :D

I laughed more than I should have

Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
ray j willings said:

graph.png

Dude, you're an absolute legend :D

I laughed more than I should have

I don't know what is funnier, Oleg pics or Ray's chart! :D

TheYouyou7 said:
Nibali will be smashed at Dauphiné.

Concerning Berto, I hope that he's been "far" from his best level in this Giro otherwise Tour is gonna be complicated.

My thoughts exactly, he'll have to step up his game considerably, or else he's gonna get clobbered in France. The question is can he do it?

On the other hand you had a tempo set at this Giro, with all that climbing that the Tour would find difficult to match. Astana was on fire and Aru, Landa and company were racing this Giro without "phase two" in mind.

I can only imagine that Alberto started the Giro at 80% and has come out of it with still a margin to gain for July. Otherwise, as you said, it will be complicated indeed.

Re:

ray j willings said:

graph.png

Mind if I use that for presenting my research for my bachelor internship?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
rhubroma said:
TheYouyou7 said:

Concerning Berto, I hope that he's been "far" from his best level in this Giro otherwise Tour is gonna be complicated.

My thoughts exactly, he'll have to step up his game considerably, or else he's gonna get clobbered in France. The question is can he do it?

On the other hand you had a tempo set at this Giro, with all that climbing that the Tour would find difficult to match. Astana was on fire and Aru, Landa and company were racing this Giro without "phase two" in mind.

I can only imagine that Alberto started the Giro at 80% and has come out of it with still a margin to gain for July. Otherwise, as you said, it will be complicated indeed.

LeMond thought Alberto would have no problem recovering in time. I know LeMond road a few Giros. I don't know if they were in his winning TDF years.

As for the TDF, it will indeed be complicated. There are four real contenders this year and several others who could cause problems. Most of the other teams (Astana, Movistar, Team Sky) have climbers who could stay with their leaders much longer. From what I've seen in the Giro, Saxo is sorely lacking compared to the other teams.

Also, might Sagan be a complication in the TDF? Will Sagan have to freelance his way to green or will Saxo dedicate some support to him?

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

ray j willings said:

graph.png
As a proud soon-to-economist I have to say your graph is beautiful LOL :D

richwagmn said:
rhubroma said:
TheYouyou7 said:

LeMond thought Alberto would have no problem recovering in time. I know LeMond road a few Giros. I don't know if they were in his winning TDF years.

As for the TDF, it will indeed be complicated. There are four real contenders this year and several others who could cause problems. Most of the other teams (Astana, Movistar, Team Sky) have climbers who could stay with their leaders much longer. From what I've seen in the Giro, Saxo is sorely lacking compared to the other teams.

Also, might Sagan be a complication in the TDF? Will Sagan have to freelance his way to green or will Saxo dedicate some support to him?

If I remember correctly, Lemond finished 4th in the 86 Giro (but working for Hinault who won) and then won the Tour. Then he had a disastrous Giro in 89 (but came second on the last TT), and went on to win the Tour.

I think Contador can certainly recoveer, what I'm not certain about is can he improve at the same time. This is the risk anyone attempting the double faces. Getting the equilibrium right between not coming into the Giro too much on fire (perhaps like 2011, when, though, he hadn't planned for the double), and coming out of the Giro with enough of a margin to benefit from the Italian race for the French one.

Pantani was better at the 98 Giro, I think than Contador in this one, started the Tour decidedly under tone, to then get back up to flying in the second and third weeks.

Anyway you see it, it's complicated.

rhubroma said:
richwagmn said:
rhubroma said:
TheYouyou7 said:

If I remember correctly, Lemond finished 4th in the 86 Giro (but working for Hinault who won) and then won the Tour. Then he had a disastrous Giro in 89 (but came second on the last TT), and went on to win the Tour.

I think Contador can certainly recoveer, what I'm not certain about is can he improve at the same time. This is the risk anyone attempting the double faces. Getting the equilibrium right between not coming into the Giro too much on fire (perhaps like 2011, when, though, he hadn't planned for the double), and coming out of the Giro with enough of a margin to benefit from the Italian race for the French one.

Pantani was better at the 98 Giro, I think than Contador in this one, started the Tour decidedly under tone, to then get back up to flying in the second and third weeks.

Anyway you see it, it's complicated.

LeMond did indeed finish 4th in 1986 but Hinault didn't start, he was riding for himself, and was tipped as a possible winner by many. So his performance was disappointing IMO, but he was only 24!

LeMond did say Alberto could recover and tipped him and Quintana as possible winners. No love for Nibali or Froome!

Anyway I think it is much easier to recover at 24 than at 32. For Alberto to win le Tour it will be very complicated indeed. Before yesterday I would have given him a decent shot, now my assessment is much lower. Unless he was riding this Giro well below his best it will be an uphill battle to win. Podium that is another matter, but he doesn't ride for podiums.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts