• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1088 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well this is a new one. Millar thinks Alberto lost 2:30+ intentionally? Granted the gap did go out at the end, but the man has looked pretty spent ever since that stage.

It would have been fatal for Contador if he was in a bad way. I think he bluffed a bit, let Astana and Nibali think he's more vulnerable than he really is. Tour de France mind games start way before the prologue and that, with a temporary moment of difficulty, is what we might have seen on stage 20.

Actually I'd like this to be the case as it means he saved more energy than he let on. But I'm finding it hard to believe.

BTW I like Millar's take on 2011 Giro.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-contador-won-the-2011-giro-ditalia

Carols said:
Well this is a new one. Millar thinks Alberto lost 2:30+ intentionally? Granted the gap did go out at the end, but the man has looked pretty spent ever since that stage.

It would have been fatal for Contador if he was in a bad way. I think he bluffed a bit, let Astana and Nibali think he's more vulnerable than he really is. Tour de France mind games start way before the prologue and that, with a temporary moment of difficulty, is what we might have seen on stage 20.

Actually I'd like this to be the case as it means he saved more energy than he let on. But I'm finding it hard to believe.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/robert-millar/robert-millar-contador-won-the-2011-giro-ditalia

Yep, decided to save the energy by riding by himself instead of sitting on a wheel and just responding to attacks (which he tried to do) or even staying with the group of favorites after Landa attacked.

Because **** logic. He was dropped like a stone. You can try and put a lipstick on a pig, it won't change a thing.
Hopefully he gets better for the Tour otherwise it will be really sad sight, and noone wants to finish career like that.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes genious what an awfull way of ending your career, noone would want to finish of their career by winning the GIro absolutely NOONE would want that, and plus even be brave enought to tackle the giro-tour double which hasnt been done by anyone in the new era of cyclling. Awfull ending indeed :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What a clown lmfao :D

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Wait what planet have you lived on the last 8 years? Contador getting dropped all over the places?

Well you can rest assure Contador wont get dropped all over the place, were talking about the greatest GT / climber rider of our generation so no need to worry dude :eek:

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I would love for Alberto to skip the Tour de France, and a battle with Froome, Quintana and Nibali.

I do not believe a modern cyclist can win back-to-back Grand Tours in the same calendar year, especially with the TDF as the second one, given its higher speed and better field. There simply isn't enough time for a rider to rest and come off of top form, and then re-train up to peak condition. And maintaining form from May through all of July is even more impossible.

Alberto to me should rest off of his Giro win, where he faded markedly over the last two mountain stages, understandably, and shoot for the Vuelta. I'd love to see him rack up as many Grand Tour wins before he retires as possible. He has 9, by my count, and a 2015 Vuelta, followed by 2016 Giros and Vueltas would give him 12, the all-time record (although he'd only be credited officially with 10 due to the clenbuterol disqualifications).

Re:

blackmamba said:
Wait what planet have you lived on the last 8 years? Contador getting dropped all over the places?

Well you can rest assure Contador wont get dropped all over the place, were talking about the greatest GT / climber rider of our generation so no need to worry dude :eek:

Aye, this is the very reason why he wants to retire soon. He wants to finish on the top. No need to worry about him declining with in the next year and a half. He isn't old yet.

Carols said:

I like reading Millar's articles usually, but this is ridiculous.

Carols said:

I actually thought that when the stage was unfolding (after my initial shock). His face never looked like he was tortured/empty, which I recall from 2013 (Tour) and 2007 (Paris-Nice). Once he was able to hold the gap, then I realize he hadn't completely cracked. The fact that he didn't want additional food, etc., was the other tell. So I think he was definitely about to go into the red and decided that he had enough of a buffer on GC and energy to limit his losses. I think with the exception of TTT and ITT, he never went into the red the entire Giro. Just my opinion....

EDIT: I forgot the stage where he attacked from 40KM. He definitely went into the red there.

Bit of a tactic question but... I think Astana rode the whole Giro so freaking hard just to tire out Contador for the Tour mainly, so Nibali has an easier time. Yes ofcourse they also wanted Aru (and Landa) to do well, but... in the back of their minds ,even when the Giro seemed lost they kept riding. It's the only reason it makes sense. To tire Alberto...

Publicus said:
Carols said:

I actually thought that when the stage was unfolding (after my initial shock). His face never looked like he was tortured/empty, which I recall from 2013 (Tour) and 2007 (Paris-Nice). Once he was able to hold the gap, then I realize he hadn't completely cracked. The fact that he didn't want additional food, etc., was the other tell. So I think he was definitely about to go into the red and decided that he had enough of a buffer on GC and energy to limit his losses. I think with the exception of TTT and ITT, he never went into the red the entire Giro. Just my opinion....
Yeah, I also noticed this at the time, he was measuring his efforts on Sestriere. Of course he wasn't on a good day, but IMO he didn't really explode, he just didn't want to risk exploding.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Yep, decided to save the energy by riding by himself instead of sitting on a wheel and just responding to attacks (which he tried to do) or even staying with the group of favorites after Landa attacked.

Because **** logic. He was dropped like a stone. You can try and put a lipstick on a pig, it won't change a thing.
Hopefully he gets better for the Tour otherwise it will be really sad sight, and noone wants to finish career like that.

I think a lot of people are way overreacting to stage 20, and his momentary crisis. A lot of you guys are forgetting how bike racing used to work...before the current era. Everyone is used to the last few decades, where the winners are miraculously the very best at climbing AND TT'ing. No one ever had a bad day, and the winner never showed any weakness. Contador had ONE bad moment in this race (not a bad day, but a bad moment, on one day), when he was up against an entire team for the vast majority of the stressful moments.

If you actually look at the stage objectively, he did cover most of the moves, it was only when Landa attacked that he lost the wheel. Even after that, he covered a few more moves before finally getting dropped. And yet, he clearly recovered and limited his losses quite well, considering he was up against a group of 4 or 5 on the final climb. Normally these guys are full of sh*t when they make excuses for their performances, but I can only believe Contador when he said he dehydrated. How else do you explain his ability to look pretty good for most of the attacks, and then his recovery after his bad spell?

So, let's just calm down on the hyperbole. He wasn't "dropped like a stone" and it's not going to be a "really sad sight" at the Tour. I have no idea if he is capable of winning it, my current opinion is that he will be on the podium, but perhaps not win. But there is a 0% chance in my mind it will be embarrassing to the point of "a really sad sight". There was one guy in the entire Giro who was clearly a stronger climber, and Contador did finish 3rd in the ITT. So, I'd say he did alright against an entire team, who put the second and third place finishers on the podium, without having a team of his own...

EDIT: Millar is full of it if he thinks Contador was bluffing. That's ridiculous.

Well, it was clear since Aprica that Landa is better climber, not just in stage 20 that's first.
I agree with your 2nd point. Contador did cover most of the moves, not the ones that counted though. He didn't crack completely but loosing 2:30 on a single stage does not look good and just shows what kind of damage Landa could do if he was let off the leash (and it is not just based of off one stage, this is alo based off of Aprica in which he put over 30 seconds on 3km of false flat, and every other stage in which Landa looked like on a sunday ride with other riders clearly in pain). And yeah, most of the cyclists (including Contador) and full of *** when they make excuses for their performance.

He did get dropped like a stone though. Went pedaling backwards after Landa attack and lost more time with every km that Landa pulled even if it was on a flat. Again, no need to try putting a lipstick on a pig.
Please quote me saying that 'it is going to be a sad sight'. I said 'it would be'. Major difference there.
What performance would you consider embarassing? Outside of top 3, top 5, top 10?

He lost 20-30s to Landa from the moment he got dropped by the entire group, till the top of Finestre. He then kept the gap at around 1.5 minutes for a long time, until it went out to 2.5 minutes with just a couple k to go. That is nowhere near as bad as you are trying to make it out to be. So maybe he appeared to be struggling on Finestre but clearly he was still keeping a good pace, and on Sestriere he looked quite okay, as the time differences showed.

Nothing would be embarrassing. Everything comes to an end. If this Tour de France proves to be the end of Alberto's GT reign then so be it. A sad sight, would be him unable to attack, getting dropped by the likes of Van Garderen and Peraud. I am quite confident it won't be nearly that bad, though.

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

damian13ster said:
Well, it was clear since Aprica that Landa is better climber, not just in stage 20 that's first.
I agree with your 2nd point. Contador did cover most of the moves, not the ones that counted though. He didn't crack completely but loosing 2:30 on a single stage does not look good and just shows what kind of damage Landa could do if he was let off the leash (and it is not just based of off one stage, this is alo based off of Aprica in which he put over 30 seconds on 3km of false flat, and every other stage in which Landa looked like on a sunday ride with other riders clearly in pain). And yeah, most of the cyclists (including Contador) and full of **** when they make excuses for their performance.

He did get dropped like a stone though. Went pedaling backwards after Landa attack and lost more time with every km that Landa pulled even if it was on a flat. Again, no need to try putting a lipstick on a pig.
Please quote me saying that 'it is going to be a sad sight'. I said 'it would be'. Major difference there.
What performance would you consider embarassing? Outside of top 3, top 5, top 10?

Its pretty clear by now from your comments your either pretty salty or just not very smart :D Dropped blablabla, Contador have had a plan for 1 year now, herepeatedly said he needed to use as little as energi as possible does it then in your mind make sense to win the giro with 5min? or 8min for that matter? NO it doesnt, he and steven de jongh said it perfectly after the stage your talking about which doesnt matter cause anyone who have a little clue perfectly well knewed what was going on. HE PACED himself cause 100% controlled perfectly without spending more energi than he woulda liked trying to follow which made 0 sense for him too do. If however you still like to think elsewice on that particular stage thats fine too cause he won the giro BOM case closed. Add the fact he didnt have a team (in the mountains) and that he lost 40sec on the crash+his shoulder noone in their mind would question he was nr uno but if your that naive and think contador dont have a plan going into the giro-double you are a fool.

Its just so funny to see naive people like you who fail to see the obvious, if you was contador would it make sense to go all in when the giro was in the bag to win by 10min when thats just half of your goal knowing the tour is comming up? Based on your comments you do !! Its easy Contador came here to win the giro spending as little energi as possible so dont come yelling when he gets dropped when the victory is in the bag when it makes no sense what so ever to follow, i know logic is hard :confused:

On another note if you look close on his program this year and de jongh even admited it the entire plan is for him to be at his strongest at the tour not the other way around like the last time he tried the double(which wasnt planned btw)

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Poursuivant said:
Carols said:

I'm pretty sure he's right about the gravel having an effect but the rest is pretty off base in my opinion (lets just ignore the discussion of 2011)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Its possible Bertie could have let the time gaps happen deliberately.
His priority is to win the Giro and Tour. He his certainly not going to let on if he his in awesome form and there certainly was no need for Bertie to be at his best to win the Giro. Win as easy as possible using the least amount of energy. Maybe that is what he did. He has to respect Aru and Landa , he can't say it was to easy even if it was.It would not surprise me at all.
If Froome or Quintana etc try something early and Bertie follows easy or passes them then it's game over. He will have a huge mental advantage.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
R0BL4MBT0N said:
Poursuivant said:
Carols said:

I'm pretty sure he's right about the gravel having an effect but the rest is pretty off base in my opinion (lets just ignore the discussion of 2011)

the gravel is a good argument. But bluffing? I don't know about that. Even Riis jedi mind trick would not even go that far.:D That means he'd better be pretty confident and absolutely sure that his bluffing won't backed fired or it means that Contador hold a monstrous form than what he has shown? As much as I would like to believe it, it's a little too far fetch for me. Contador himself said that he had to spend energy more than what he would have liked (on the other hand, he's known also to downplay everything). So time will only tell, which Contador shows up at the Tour. But I do think that Contador finished the Giro, more tired that he had expected.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Bit of a tactic question but... I think Astana rode the whole Giro so freaking hard just to tire out Contador for the Tour mainly, so Nibali has an easier time. Yes ofcourse they also wanted Aru (and Landa) to do well, but... in the back of their minds ,even when the Giro seemed lost they kept riding. It's the only reason it makes sense. To tire Alberto...
Yep, exactly my thought before the Giro, I think they played it great with that 'fighting' FTW ;) .....Also glad you are back DT.

TRENDING THREADS