• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1225 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
For the record, at the 2014 TDF Alberto was 2kg lighter than at the 2013 TDF. Just so you have an idea what "a couple kilos too heavy" looks like on his body.

Was he too heavy this year?

Yeah he definitely was in this Tour. I feel like he was getting fatter as the race went on. I thought he was looking pretty lean in Utrecht, on some pics. But actually not at all.

Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
He tried, and he failed, but he gave it his all. just wasn't there. Same case as 2011. At least that'll satisfy his conscience of what if.

This. He never gave up, gave his all no mater how awful he felt. At least he'll never wonder what might have been.

Time for some Good Rest at home, then regroup and plan for 2016.

BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
For the record, at the 2014 TDF Alberto was 2kg lighter than at the 2013 TDF. Just so you have an idea what "a couple kilos too heavy" looks like on his body.

Yeah he definitely was in this Tour. I feel like he was getting fatter as the race went on. I thought he was looking pretty lean in Utrecht, on some pics. But actually not at all.
To me it actually seems like he lost weight. Cheek bones showing more and more.

You cannot get fatter during the race. They burn 5000-6000 calories a day, do you think he's been stuffing his face with Mars bars?

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Comparing 2011, he was worse. Back then he really exploded the race in the Alps. But this Tour, he wasn't even able to really put in a significant attack. His riding the last days was painfull to see really :(

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
On to next year, I don't see any reason for Contador to be beaten while in top form . Quintana is a great climber, great stamina and consistency over 3 weeks but he is not quite on the mutant level, I mean he is still slightly below Froome when he is fresh and in top condition and Contador in top form as well.

Froome's issue is his inconsistency, he won the Tour in one stage, on all the others he appeared pretty average or even weak like today. If He tried a double attempt, he would completely sink. Contador is a metronome, if he is in top form, you know he'll perform at a high level on every single stage.

I'm confident.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:
Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:

do you think he's been stuffing his face with Mars bars?

Ohh so that's the reason :D

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

BlurryVII said:
On to next year, I don't see any reason for Contador to be beaten while in top form . Quintana is a great climber, great stamina and consistency over 3 weeks but he is not quite on the mutant level, I mean he is still slightly below Froome when he is fresh and in top condition and Contador in top form as well.

Froome's issue is his inconsistency, he won the Tour in one stage, on all the others he appeared pretty average or even weak like today. If He tried a double attempt, he would completely sink. Contador is a metronome, if he is in top form, you know he'll perform at a high level on every single stage.

I'm confident.

Agree.

I am sorry for florecilla becouse he answer me that the only good result was victory in le Tour,k despite he won le Tour. 5th at 10 minutes is not the best result but it is no so bad after wining Giro.

He losed time with froome in Huy and he has losed today, always as usual in him, good at the begining, al later fading away a little.

He was always as a similar level in the Giro as I predicted and he was at a similar level in le Tour as well, it is not a question if he peak one week or another becouse he was in il Giro, but he has not that spark as he said. Looking at the others rider that were in il Giro, any other rider was here to win le Tour with a team working for him, but although Urán started well, he faded, and although today Hesjedal was third and Geniez very well, riders of the Giro were good just some days, Kangert, Kruisjwick,... but Contador was the only one that keep a good level all the Tour.
Congrats for him... if he think he can win le Tour nowadays, he has next year to demostrate it without any escuse.

We will see if Nibali try Giro and Tour in the next years...I dont rule out that.

TRENDING THREADS