• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1227 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Pippo_San said:
He's been completely invisible the whole Tour. Had he missed the boat on Zelande he would've even been in a worse GC situation.
So what's with the "let's make the treble" plans?

It's time for the Pistolero to go for good. This is the swan song.

Not before he shows them doubters and haters and July fans who's boss. Its not like Contador to go out in anonymous fashion

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Contador never did much in this Tour in the end. I think he mentally gave up somewhere during the 3rd week. He did do the one attack at the beginning of yesterdays stage.. but truelly. Mentally he was done.

Hope he can focus on the Tour for 1 more time and have his legs from 2014
? He attacked on stage 17, 18 and 19. Today he was just too tired to try anything.

Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
rick james said:
Another lie.

ah, well I didn't know you were blind, sorry.

Actually you are being ignorant. Sky did pull on that stage, maybe not as much as you would like but they did work (think Stannard did quite a bit). You are giving cycling fans a bad name with your childish insults.

Contador will be back, I reckon there will be an epic 3 way battle with Froome and Quintana next year (I reckon Nibali might go back to the Giro).

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, now the dust is settled. Giro-Tour double is a tough nut to crack. I bet, sky would be the one who's able to crack that formula with their geek on numbers. But don't know with who? Froome certainly won't be competitive in the Tour if he tries the Giro. Maybe Landa? Well, good riddance, at least AC tries to crack the formula to win the double.But still can't. At least, he is back the same result as 2011, but struggling as 2013. It's really painful to watch him struggling.. puff.. seriously. I can't watch it. I was worry he would have fallen off his bike due to fatigue. :)

Froome on the other hand, did the same strategy. Just like 2013, he attacked on the first mountain and padded enough time to let some time loose at the end. He does seem to loose a little steam entering the 3rd week. It would be interesting if he ends up going to Vuelta? I think Quintana gives him the run for his money today. But I still believe, if AC was 100% he would have done a much better attack than Quintana.

So the vuelta will be Aru/Land (probably Nibali) vs Quintana/Valverde. Unless Froome is throwing his hat to the ring. Contador better rest and start thinking about training for next year TDF. Forget Giro. He got some unfinished business with the Tour. He can beat Froome. Quintana showed today, Froome isn't invincible in the 3rd week. Seems that to win the tour, He needs to have a luck as well. He probably knows from the beginning, that this isn't his tour with all his difficulties.

Red Rick said:
LaFlorecita said:
TourOfSardinia said:
This is the first GT Alberto has not won in three outings.
3 outings?

He's probably stoned, everyone knows Contador is unbeaten in Vuelta's and Giro's.

Anyway, he's probably gonna try and fail at doing work for Sagan with Lars Bak looking at him and saying "Dafuck you doing Bertie, you're doing this all wrong"
Just like in 2013 :p

Jelantik said:
Well, now the dust is settled. Giro-Tour double is a tough nut to crack. I bet, sky would be the one who's able to crack that formula with their geek on numbers. But don't know with who? Froome certainly won't be competitive in the Tour if he tries the Giro. Maybe Landa? Well, good riddance, at least AC tries to crack the formula to win the double.But still can't. At least, he is back the same result as 2011, but struggling as 2013. It's really painful to watch him struggling.. puff.. seriously. I can't watch it. I was worry he would have fallen off his bike due to fatigue. :)

Froome on the other hand, did the same strategy. Just like 2013, he attacked on the first mountain and padded enough time to let some time loose at the end. He does seem to loose a little steam entering the 3rd week. It would be interesting if he ends up going to Vuelta? I think Quintana gives him the run for his money today. But I still believe, if AC was 100% he would have done a much better attack than Quintana.

So the vuelta will be Aru/Land (probably Nibali) vs Quintana/Valverde. Unless Froome is throwing his hat to the ring. Contador better rest and start thinking about training for next year TDF. Forget Giro. He got some unfinished business with the Tour. He can beat Froome. Quintana showed today, Froome isn't invincible in the 3rd week. Seems that to win the tour, He needs to have a luck as well. He probably knows from the beginning, that this isn't his tour with all his difficulties.
Did you mean to post that in another thread? ;)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:
What he said today, very interesting

"Next year, we will completely change the plan, we'll focus entirely on the Tour and come with different ambitions. I would like to do the same season as last year, compete on all the early season stage races, at maximum level, with intensity, then race the Tour and the Olympic Games. I believe the route is hard and could possibly suit me . Then we'll see. It'll be harder not to retire, it will possibly be the moment to call it a day".

giphy.gif
Yay! Go for it Alberto!!!!! :)

that's how he should go out. Smash everyone in early season. Then one goal. Tour. He got some unfinished business. He tried 3 times already with different problem. (didn't have the right form, crashed out, fatigue from Giro). Hopefully.. he finally got his break. No fatigue, stellar form and LUCK as well. Please lady french, sing for him at the end of TDF next year!!!

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Hayabusa said:
BlurryVII said:
rick james said:
Another lie.

ah, well I didn't know you were blind, sorry.

Actually you are being ignorant. Sky did pull on that stage, maybe not as much as you would like but they did work (think Stannard did quite a bit). You are giving cycling fans a bad name with your childish insults.

Contador will be back, I reckon there will be an epic 3 way battle with Froome and Quintana next year (I reckon Nibali might go back to the Giro).

Ah well, that was certainly so little I just couldn't notice it. My bad. I'm sure it had a great impact on the chase.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Oh sod off Taxus..... yes we ALL know you want this to be Alberto's best level.... BUT it isn't ..... build a bridge and get the hell over it.

And I am not a "he", god knows how many times I've told you that already
As I said he can come bacj next year, he is not old, he will be 33, Valverde is 35 and he has team mates with 41 and get ready at his best level. He can get any other calendar, but saying he cant win le Tour except very good luck.

I think his level is this with more spark, so the level of the Giro, not enought to win le Tour to Froome and Quintana but maybe to be podium. He is better in one week races. There he can beat Quintana and maybe Froome sometimes, but there are another rivals as Porte,

Again another Tour after suspension he cant win...he is good, but that is not Hinault or thiose kind of things O have heard sometimes, just for compare the palmares. He gopt a good palmares, but his level is this with more spark, Tour podium.

Taxus4a said:
LaFlorecita said:
Oh sod off Taxus..... yes we ALL know you want this to be Alberto's best level.... BUT it isn't ..... build a bridge and get the hell over it.

As I said he can come bacj next year, he is not old, he will be 33, Valverde is 35 and he has team mates with 41 and get ready at his best level. He can get any other calendar, but saying he cant win le Tour except very good luck.

I think his level is this with more spark, so the level of the Giro, not enought to win le Tour to Froome and Quintana but maybe to be podium. He is better in one week races. There he can beat Quintana and maybe Froome sometimes, but there are another rivals as Porte,

Again another Tour after suspension he cant win...he is good, but that is not Hinault or thiose kind of things O have heard sometimes, just for compare the palmares. He gopt a good palmares, but his level is this with more spark, Tour podium.
Enough is enough. We know you dislike him a lot (for whatever reason) but you could at least try to view it objectively. All this crap is borderline trolling.

I have just read Contador now and chapeau, good words. He is getting me a little this way.
Next year his classic program of April-july plus Olimpics, brave...

After next year, I could consider he is not at his best and I could undestad he wanted to leave. But this way is the way of a champion, maybe he is right and he traied the double just to dont think in the future what would have happened.

He cant that is true, and he cant clearly, no for a little...but if he do for that, good for him.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Jelantik said:

Did you mean to post that in another thread? ;)

:D lol.. .. sounds like it right?.. but i wasn't actually. ;) (guess the contador part wasn't that much..)

anyway.. does anyone has any rumors on who tinkoff is going to bring to the team? (besides juul jensen leaving?) I was hoping they stop bringing old guy or some old Russian rider.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Taxus4a said:
LaFlorecita said:

You post absolute drivel.
Bertie kicked Froomes as£ all last year, Because he was better. Did you watch racing in 2014 or do you just ignore all the times last year when Bertie beat Froome?
Look at Froomes form and his 2/3 bad days in this tour and it puts into perspective Berties win against him in the Vuelta. A fit Bertie is to strong.

Berties Giro form would certainly have been enough to beat Froome in this tour as well. He would not have had to contend with racing Astana all on his own. Do you understand that? :rolleyes:

Feel free to keep posting its very funny :D

BlurryVII said:
Old&slow said:
Contador should be very happy with this Tour. It is arguably the best performance of his career. Yes, he won two tours but in those he won by barely beating third tier riders in Rasmussen, Leipheimer, Schleck and that 38 year old who had not ridden in 4 years. None of those riders would have stood a chance of finishing in the top 10 in this years tour. Rather, Contador's 2011, 2013 and 2015 Tour is his consistent standard. When he rides against the best riders who are in peak form he is a 2nd to 3rd tier rider. Yes, he can win a Vuelta or Giro against inferior competition or out of shape riders. But he is not nor ever has been a Tour De France contending rider. Rather, he is the most over hyped and over rated rider in the history of cycling. But, Kudo's to him for finishing within 10 minutes and beating his peers in Mollema, Gesink, Barguil, etc.

What the heck did I just read ?

The truth

TRENDING THREADS