• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1250 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Electress said:
Can anyone tell me if there's a way to block posts based on keywords?

What would you block, just out of interest?

'Froome' (Which is more than a little ironic)

I just get very bored of reading the same (IMO futile/unanswerable) arguments regarding who is the 'best', tbf. And since I know this is a forum and people are of course very welcome to have their say, I thought I'd try and filter based on subject because I'm just not at all interested in the topic or the man.

I enjoyed Ologno, too. I must say, if I could wish for anything next year, it'd be at least a season of Alberto in 2011 kind of form and without injuries.

BTW - I was speaking to my brother the other day about why so many cyclists got sick with stomach issues this year at the tdf, and he suggested that they could be getting heat stroke. I hadn't realised that cumulative sun exposure over several days can do you in...

This Vuelta feels a bit odd for me - AC not being there definitely makes it less of a stressful watch, but it also makes it far less must-see viewing. I confess I'll be kind of happy when this season is over…

Some of this is because cycling in general feels a little more 'rotten' than usual…Maybe it's me, and I just didn't notice it before, but I have the sense there is more 'bad feeling' about than in other years. It's hard to pinpoint, exactly, other than a sense of things frequently seeming a little bit 'ugly' for one reason or another.

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Electress said:
Some of this is because cycling in general feels a little more 'rotten' than usual…Maybe it's me, and I just didn't notice it before, but I have the sense there is more 'bad feeling' about than in other years. It's hard to pinpoint, exactly, other than a sense of things frequently seeming a little bit 'ugly' for one reason or another.
It's 2015; 3 years to first breakthrough ;)

dpm1991 said:
Electress said:

I'm not sure what you mean? I've been watching cycling since I was 8 years old?

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Electress said:
dpm1991 said:
Electress said:

I'm not sure what you mean? I've been watching cycling since I was 8 years old?
That was a very clinical answer. Hint: when did Pantani won TdF?

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
There is no way to ignore based on key words.

Maybe it is just me, but I fail to see much contador angle in recent postings.

Time to move on perhaps.

LaFlorecita said:
mrhender said:

Time to move on perhaps.
Electress said she cannot enjoy racing without Contador, that is related to Contador I would think?

Thanks, Flo… ;o) It's not that I can't enjoy it at all…it's just all a bit *shrugs*.

Re. AC, I'd imagine he's on sponsors duty for both TS and the foundation / youth teams he runs. In between training down and walking the dog.

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
mrhender said:

Time to move on perhaps.
Electress said she cannot enjoy racing without Contador, that is related to Contador I would think?

Thanks, Flo… ;o) It's not that I can't enjoy it at all…it's just all a bit *shrugs*.

Re. AC, I'd imagine he's on sponsors duty for both TS and the foundation / youth teams he runs. In between training down and walking the dog.
Exactly ;) ;)

LaFlorecita said:
KyoGrey said:
GT racing is now the strongest it has been since 2005 with 3 and a half super-GT-riders in prime condition.

Contador benefited from a weak GT-riding era...in the years 2007-2011. Only him and Andy Schleck.
Menchov, Evans and Sastre etc were never true 5 stars GT riders.
This is a very poor attempt by you to devalue Contador's career IMO. While there were not many 5 star GT riders, Contador's opposition was never low-level. And we still have the climbing times to prove it. You can say whatever you want, but fact is Verbier 2009 is the highest ever recorded VAM, on a relatively shallow climb (on a steeper climb his VAM would have been even higher). You don't beat Cancellara in a long ITT unless you are at an insane level. And these days, while there are more 5 star GT riders, it is rare to have more than 2 of them at the start line of a GT, and even rarer to have more than 2 of them in great shape. So the difference between now and a few years ago really isn't that significant.

Andy Schleck was his greatest competition and by multiple different sources on this forum he has been identified as both a biological female and the worst cyclist (technically) of all time so that doesnt speak well for this fellow who cannot win the tour anymore since the level of competition has gone up.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
LaFlorecita said:
KyoGrey said:
GT racing is now the strongest it has been since 2005 with 3 and a half super-GT-riders in prime condition.

Contador benefited from a weak GT-riding era...in the years 2007-2011. Only him and Andy Schleck.
This is a very poor attempt by you to devalue Contador's career IMO. While there were not many 5 star GT riders, Contador's opposition was never low-level. And we still have the climbing times to prove it. You can say whatever you want, but fact is Verbier 2009 is the highest ever recorded VAM, on a relatively shallow climb (on a steeper climb his VAM would have been even higher). You don't beat Cancellara in a long ITT unless you are at an insane level. And these days, while there are more 5 star GT riders, it is rare to have more than 2 of them at the start line of a GT, and even rarer to have more than 2 of them in great shape. So the difference between now and a few years ago really isn't that significant.

Andy Schleck was his greatest competition and by multiple different sources on this forum he has been identified as both a biological female and the worst cyclist (technically) of all time so that doesnt speak well for this fellow who cannot win the tour anymore since the level of competition has gone up.

So you believe that Andy Schleck is a women ? and you also believe that technically he his the worst cyclist of all time etc etc :D :D :D

What a very short memory Vino has: "Some teams have used the opportunity to eliminate a group. It is found that fair play in cycling belongs to the past.”

The pink jersey says hello.

(But thanks for Mortirolo, Vino. Guess you've yet to learn you reap what you sow…)

ray j willings said:
myrideissteelerthanyours said:
LaFlorecita said:
KyoGrey said:

So you believe that Andy Schleck is a women ? and you also believe that technically he his the worst cyclist of all time etc etc :D :D :D

It's one thing not to be a fan of Alberto which I am not so much, but to belittle his accomplishments is foolish. what you should have said is that he stood above his peers for years and is still among the best in the world after 10 plus years. their are very few riders that have had such an extended stay a the top. your argument is that he's not that good because he was better than anyone else for 5 years??? really that's your argument?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
After the Italian national team coach,Belgian team coach and Serge Pauwels named Alberto among their favorites for the Rio road race, the Polish coach says Alberto is his #1 favorite. He also says he doesn't think it's possible to win TDF and Olympic RR, though.

that sounds like another objective for Contador.. when people says impossible, he will try to make it possible. Whether or not he is successful.. that's another story.. :D :D

I don't see Contador as a top favorite for Rio. Sure, he is a great climber but on the climb which will be included he will have problems to ride away from everyone. And when many riders come over the top together he can only try an attack in the flat, which is unlikely to succeed. If it ends in a reduced sprint he doesnt have a chance too.

TRENDING THREADS