• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1288 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
rune1107 said:
http://sport.tv2.dk/2016-01-09-contador-maaske-tager-jeg-ogsaa-vueltaen

Contador considering to do the Vuelta. It would definitely be a glorious ending to his career, if he could do the Tour-Olympics-Vuelta triple.
His comments on the team website (on the previous page) don't really read like he's really considering it, sounds more like the usual "I'm not ruling it out"

I would guess if he wins TDF and Olympics, I could see him doing Vuelta as his last goodbye since he got no pressure. We might seeing some crazy stuff from him if he competes with no pressure. Well, one can dream :D :D

Angliru said:
KyoGrey said:
LaFlorecita said:
It seems you are the one who is misunderstanding these posts. Most would agree that Indurain would beat Contador (and all other current GC riders). The point is (as has been pointed out 20 times) you can't compare riders from different eras. If Indurain had been born in 1985 he would have been a different rider and if Contador had been born in 1965 he would have been a different rider. Any comparison is based on nothing but speculation. We don't know what Indurain would be able to achieve in present day racing conditions.

Oh, it could be that I am being too dramatic. It's just that posts like this...

ray j willings said:
I would say Bertie in top form would be way to much for Mig. IMO Only Chicken ,Schleck, Evans, Froome would stay in touching distance with a top form Bertie on a queen stage.
I think a early Armstrong was unbeatable followed by a eyeballs out Pantani from videos I have seen of him.
Before that era I have no idea its a job for the clinic to discuss.

...are so wrong that they tear my heart. I'm sorry. Cheers.

@Ray
Evans could at no point his career climb with a top form Contador. Andy could occasionally and Froome has been the only rider to match or surpass a top form Contador in the mountains (with
the exception of Rassmussen). Many have said could but I don't agree.

What's your evidence for this statement. We didn't get to see the big 2014 match, because they both crashed out of the Tour. I'd say that was the only time both were in top form. Whereas Contador was still very young in 2007 and he nackered himself out with repeated attacks against Rassmussen and paid for it subsequently. A more experienced AC and a stronger one, would have dealt nicely with the Dane.

Point is, we haven't seen a top AC at the Tour since 2009.

rhubroma said:
+1000 here. Game, set, and match.

The key for the '16 TdF may actually be what Movistar/Quintana does. Sky may be able to bottle one genie. Not two. And so far, as I stated previously, I don't have the feeling that Nairito has the b@lls to go for the win and take risks vs. riding not to lose, Ulle style when Lance was around.

Tonton said:
rhubroma said:
+1000 here. Game, set, and match.

The key for the '16 TdF may actually be what Movistar/Quintana does. Sky may be able to bottle one genie. Not two. And so far, as I stated previously, I don't have the feeling that Nairito has the b@lls to go for the win and take risks vs. riding not to lose, Ulle style when Lance was around.

Nairo's problem will be the ITT. Then you have to factor in Astana. Nibali only feigns being in a secondary position in July. I bet he's thinking in terms of 2014 peak, but then Aru will have the better structured program to arrive in top form. Whatever the case, don't neglect the potential for Astana to put big pressure on in the mountains. Both the Sicilian and the Sardinian like to attack, which will be good for the race. Now if Quintana can step up and since we know AC won't hold back if he finds 2014 form, this could be the hardest year for Sky yet.

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Of course he'll ride the Vuelta if it's his last season as a pro.
He won't if he realizes he won't be able to win. He'll only ride it if he crashes out of the Tour, and in that case he won't retire either.
Just read his comments on the team website, it's clear he has no plans to ride it, it's just the usual "I'm not saying no just yet" to keep the organizers happy.

LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:
He won't if he realizes he won't be able to win. He'll only ride it if he crashes out of the Tour, and in that case he won't retire either.
Just read his comments on the team website, it's clear he has no plans to ride it, it's just the usual "I'm not saying no just yet" to keep the organizers happy.

If he continues in 2017, what team do you think he'll ride for since Oleg said he'll be out?

Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:

If he continues in 2017, what team do you think he'll ride for since Oleg said he'll be out?
Oleg leaving doesn't mean the team stops. Oleg said he is willing to sell the team.

Alberto said that he might continue "if he launches a personal project" which I guess means a pro Continental team. I could also see him on any team lead by Bjarne. I can't really imagine him on another team but I wouldn't have thought of Saxo either in 2010.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if many of you are aware that Alberto hates riding La Vuelta. He loves it, but hates riding it because of its crap routes with all the murito finishes and thus having to sprint for bonuses. Which is why it amazes me that many people are saying he'll ride it.

Re:

sacrifice&hardwork said:
Not sure if many of you are aware that Alberto hates riding La Vuelta. He loves it, but hates riding it because of its crap routes with all the murito finishes and thus having to sprint for bonuses. Which is why it amazes me that many people are saying he'll ride it.
Yep, that's what he said in the report on the team website too.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:

Oleg leaving doesn't mean the team stops. Oleg said he is willing to sell the team.

Alberto said that he might continue "if he launches a personal project" which I guess means a pro Continental team. I could also see him on any team lead by Bjarne. I can't really imagine him on another team but I wouldn't have thought of Saxo either in 2010.

From what I know, it is really complicated for Bjarne Riis to return to cycling, the same with Saxo Bank (of course I could be wrong and things change). And it also looks like Alberto might continue in 2017 as he might be close to forming a Pro team for 2017. I'm not sure but something should be announce between April and May.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
sacrifice&hardwork said:
Yep, that's what he said in the report on the team website too.

I read it and it's really funny seeing all the Spanish cycling site saying that Alberto will ride La Vuelta or that he doesn't rule out riding it this year. You just have to read his own statement on what he says about the route. And when the time comes people are going to start calling him a liar for supposedly saying he'll ride it but didn't.

He won't ride the Vuelta if he either wins the Tour or wins Olimpic gold.

It is pretty obvious he wants to end his story on a high on this 2 races.

La Vuelta is the B-plan if he fails. Only then he will be motivated enough to get in a winning condition for the Spanish GT.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

sacrifice&hardwork said:
LaFlorecita said:
Rollthedice said:
LaFlorecita said:
Hugo Koblet said:

From what I know, it is really complicated for Bjarne Riis to return to cycling, the same with Saxo Bank (of course I could be wrong and things change). And it also looks like Alberto might continue in 2017 as he might be close to forming a Pro team for 2017. I'm not sure but something should be announce between April and May.

well, Contador definitely always creates a lot of guessing among his fans. Last year we were debating about his double attempt. This year we will be debating whether or not he enters Vuelta or whether or not he will continue to ride 2017 :). I don't want to guess, but I do hope that he win TDF and for icing on the cake he wins the olympic. There's no better way to retire while he is on the top.

Heh :p
28rpesg.jpg

Landa:

The climber has been asked about who considered his biggest rivals and barely hesitated: "Nibali is a rider that I've always admired and I will love to ride against him. Contador has been and is the best. Purito is always there and it will be nice to be up against him. And Aru because we will go from being teammates to being rivals,” he told BiciCiclismo.
:)

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Landa:

The climber has been asked about who considered his biggest rivals and barely hesitated: "Nibali is a rider that I've always admired and I will love to ride against him. Contador has been and is the best. Purito is always there and it will be nice to be up against him. And Aru because we will go from being teammates to being rivals,” he told BiciCiclismo.
:)

To be fair, he might have named Froome if they weren't on the same team. Still it's good to see him say this. :)

TRENDING THREADS