• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1289 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
Fun thought: any GT he won a stage in he went on to win. Not many who can say that I think, especially of his caliber
His GT record is astounding. Besides the fact you mentioned, every time he grabbed the lead, he won the race in the end, and he only lost the leader's jersey once, after a crash (last year's Giro) only to reclaim it the next day. He also finished in 1st place 9 times, and finished besides the podium 4 times: he never finished on one of the lower steps of the podium, suggesting that if he is in any sort of shape to contend for the win, he wins. He finished 1st 3 times in all 3 GTs, no other rider in history managed this. Only Hinault managed to win every GT at least 2 times. And as you probably know, he has a 100% track record for the Giro and Vuelta: 6 attempts, 6 victories. Remarkable :)

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Fun thought: any GT he won a stage in he went on to win. Not many who can say that I think, especially of his caliber
His GT record is astounding. Besides the fact you mentioned, every time he grabbed the lead, he won the race in the end, and he only lost the leader's jersey once, after a crash (last year's Giro) only to reclaim it the next day. He also finished in 1st place 9 times, and finished besides the podium 4 times: he never finished on one of the lower steps of the podium, suggesting that if he is in any sort of shape to contend for the win, he wins. He finished 1st 3 times in all 3 GTs, no other rider in history managed this. Only Hinault managed to win every GT at least 2 times. And as you probably know, he has a 100% track record for the Giro and Vuelta: 6 attempts, 6 victories. Remarkable :)
It is indeed remarkable and statistics like these just prove that he's a unique rider and definitely one of the best in the history of cycling. That said, it is pretty funny how you try to turn the fact that's he has finished outside the podium 4 times into some sort of positive thing :D I mean obviously it would have been better if he finished on the podium these 4 times.

Hugo Koblet said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
It is indeed remarkable and statistics like these just prove that he's a unique rider and definitely one of the best in the history of cycling. That said, it is pretty funny how you try to turn the fact that's he has finished outside the podium 4 times into some sort of positive thing :D I mean obviously it would have been better if he finished on the podium these 4 times.
Yes, of course. It would have been better if he had been able to contend for the win 13 times (he would have 13 times :) ). But my point is that whenever he was in good enough shape to fight for the win, he won :) Every rider has years in which they aren't at their best but the fact I just wrote above is what seperates a very good rider from a champion, in my opinion :)

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:

In all honesty I hope to see him lose the leader's jersey quite a few times next year in the Tour.

Before taking it back on Stage 20 :)

Brullnux said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:

In all honesty I hope to see him lose the leader's jersey quite a few times next year in the Tour.

Before taking it back on Stage 20 :)

My health wouldn't be very good for those 3 weeks. :p

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Matteo. said:
I just saw a picture of berto . He's eating sushi but...he appears skeletal ! Or i'm wrong?
Look fb , now i can't post the picture

Seen the photo, he looks really thin, in fact I'd say he has to be close to race weight there. This is a good sign, it shows his focus is strong mentally, physically he can concentrate on ramping his training rather than losing weight. I think with his mental and physical strength he'll be very difficult to beat this year as long as he as a strong team around him

Really excited to see if he can drop Froome when Froome is at his peak, looking at the photo I see him winning a lot this year.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
Is it just me or is he already looking sharper than at the 2013 Tour de France? :eek:
Decide for yourself
Le+Tour+de+France+2013+Stage+Twenty+fmF2Fy7jPv7l.jpg

I was looking at pictures, he looked okay at the start of the season (San Luis & Oman), then it almost looks like he gained weight?? Something must have gone wrong.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Hello everybody, winter is coming to an end (just snowing outside :D ) and we have a new season upon us, so Im returning to duty :)
I can see the most crazy and great fans just talked about Alberto weight all winter long (as every off season :D ) so I havent missed anything important for those months off!
Late Happy New year to all AC fans and not fans :)

As for the topic, to be in the mainstream, I think Alberto's sushi pic gives us nice hope of his form!

Edit: I can see Im a veteran now, wtf? :D

ad9898 said:
Matteo. said:
I just saw a picture of berto . He's eating sushi but...he appears skeletal ! Or i'm wrong?
Look fb , now i can't post the picture

Seen the photo, he looks really thin, in fact I'd say he has to be close to race weight there. This is a good sign, it shows his focus is strong mentally, physically he can concentrate on ramping his training rather than losing weight. I think with his mental and physical strength he'll be very difficult to beat this year as long as he as a strong team around him

Really excited to see if he can drop Froome when Froome is at his peak, looking at the photo I see him winning a lot this year.

Yikes, Berto! He's looking lean.

There is literally nothing I want more this year than Bertie on monster form and winning everything in sight.

TRENDING THREADS