• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1297 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
I just saw a picture of him during the Fundacion Contador team and- god damn-he looks skinny :eek: :eek:
He looks scarily thin. Ammattipyoraily noticed it too.
https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/699198892588601344?s=09
CbQGs7UW8AE1_-T.jpg

Never seen him this thin at this point, hopefully the engine is working too. And we will see if his TT skills have been compromised.

You know what Flo, it reconfirms what I thought about him last year after 2014. I couldn't understand why he was visibly heavier at both the Giro and Tour. I mean 2013 was a lesson, 2014 was to set things straight...and he did.

2015 though was a step backwards and now 2016 he is leaner than ever, even than 2014! The whole thing is weird. It's almost as if something led him astray last year, or didn't permit him to be in top shape??? But how, I asked myself then, was that possible, given the adjustments made between 2013 and 2014? He knew in 2015 what shape he needed to be in to be the best, while 2014 gave him the formula, but he wasn't even close. And now, presto, he's either going to miss the target due to an accident, or else he's going to crush it like never before. But Froome, to the contrary, has been just as lean, or leaner, without loosing any power, for the last several years. This after being a more robust, mediocre pro at the begining of his career. While Alberto, who quickly asserted himself as the best, is now more eradic in form from one year to the next??? It doesn't make sense.

Something doesn't add up.

I don't think it's that mysterious: it was said last year, I believe that it was a fine balance between reaching goal weight, and not getting ill. I suspect they tried not to get too thin for the Giro. Maybe they expected more weight loss between the Giro and the Tour, but maybe he simply had to eat to rebuild energy and condition after the gruelling Giro.

I have to be honest, whatever his form -- and obviously I hope he absolutely crushes everyone - I do not like the sound of 'starving himself' all winter. In fact, I think the emaciation that cycling seems to require is pretty sad. Fine if you have nutritionists and doctors etc., but not a great model for the young athletes to emulate without access to expertise.

And yeah, winning the Giro can only be deemed 'a failure' for someone as great as Contador!

Still wish he'd set up a crowd funding account for his new team. I'd happily join in as a sponsor!

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Electress said:
rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
I just saw a picture of him during the Fundacion Contador team and- god damn-he looks skinny :eek: :eek:
He looks scarily thin. Ammattipyoraily noticed it too.
https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/699198892588601344?s=09
CbQGs7UW8AE1_-T.jpg

Never seen him this thin at this point, hopefully the engine is working too. And we will see if his TT skills have been compromised.

You know what Flo, it reconfirms what I thought about him last year after 2014. I couldn't understand why he was visibly heavier at both the Giro and Tour. I mean 2013 was a lesson, 2014 was to set things straight...and he did.

2015 though was a step backwards and now 2016 he is leaner than ever, even than 2014! The whole thing is weird. It's almost as if something led him astray last year, or didn't permit him to be in top shape??? But how, I asked myself then, was that possible, given the adjustments made between 2013 and 2014? He knew in 2015 what shape he needed to be in to be the best, while 2014 gave him the formula, but he wasn't even close. And now, presto, he's either going to miss the target due to an accident, or else he's going to crush it like never before. But Froome, to the contrary, has been just as lean, or leaner, without loosing any power, for the last several years. This after being a more robust, mediocre pro at the begining of his career. While Alberto, who quickly asserted himself as the best, is now more eradic in form from one year to the next??? It doesn't make sense.

Something doesn't add up.

I don't think it's that mysterious: it was said last year, I believe that it was a fine balance between reaching goal weight, and not getting ill. I suspect they tried not to get too thin for the Giro. Maybe they expected more weight loss between the Giro and the Tour, but maybe he simply had to eat to rebuild energy and condition after the gruelling Giro.

I have to be honest, whatever his form -- and obviously I hope he absolutely crushes everyone - I do not like the sound of 'starving himself' all winter. In fact, I think the emaciation that cycling seems to require is pretty sad. Fine if you have nutritionists and doctors etc., but not a great model for the young athletes to emulate without access to expertise.

And yeah, winning the Giro can only be deemed 'a failure' for someone as great as Contador!

Still wish he'd set up a crowd funding account for his new team. I'd happily join in as a sponsor!

To be fair I don't think you have to take the "starve" sentence literally. I don't think it's like he was starving for 10 hours a day, it was probably just a phrase to make a point about him being on a diet to loose weight.

After the Tour he didn't really do anything, so he probably gained a few pounds.

Also the Giro-Tour combo last year, I don't know why people still talk about it like it was a mysterious. It's not pointed at you, but the other people discussing it.

He came into the Giro a level below his best, because he didn't needed to be better to win it. The goal was then to maintain a solid foundation towards the Tour, and then build form and peak in the 2nd and 3rd week of the Tour. Obviously it was a lottery and his body couldn't keep up. Nothing mysterious about it, it's really simple.

Basso did it in 2004 or 2005 (or both? Can't remember), but I think that's a discussion for The Clinic.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
KyoGrey said:
I highly doubt that Contador professional project will have any links with Riis or SaxoBank.

It's just a guess because the future isn't written on stone, but my feelings is that it will be a main spanish sponsor with international secondary sponsors linked to Alberto and of continental/procontinental level if it gets done.

SaxoBank's ex boss is the huge cycling fan, but no way will he fund a team alone.
I think it was pretty clear that the team had to be a WT team, or he wouldn't even go for it. Let's see.
Maybe Alonso steps in now?

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I think it's pretty clear by now that Alonso doesn't really have a clue. If Team Alonso was happening, we would definitely have heard more about it, but instead we've had silence since it failed to appear at the start of last season.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
Miburo said:
A lot of bodies gonna be have to piled up tomorrow, when Alberto stands on the pedals.

Not really a very hard climb and apparently a strong headwind towards the top. Would wait for Malhao and the ITT .

The Contador i know don't care about that stuff, less steeper climbs suits him better;

He'll never wait, unless he's bad which he won't be.

To be fair I don't think you have to take the "starve" sentence literally. I don't think it's like he was starving for 10 hours a day, it was probably just a phrase to make a point about him being on a diet to loose weight.

I didn't take it literally. But I really don't like the trend towards xylophone ribs and gaunt faces. Just strikes me as a crap model for kids to follow. But I'm probably coloured by the fact that a friend of mine nearly died and still struggles with anoxeria 15 years later.

Boy, does it annoy me that this Algave isn't streamed anywhere - at least nowhere I can find. Espeically since I have a week off.

Gotta say, I love the dusky blue. Tinkoff has a nice kit this year.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Electress said:

I didn't take it literally. But I really don't like the trend towards xylophone ribs and gaunt faces. Just strikes me as a crap model for kids to follow. But I'm probably coloured by the fact that a friend of mine nearly died and still struggles with anoxeria 15 years later.

Boy, does it annoy me that this Algave isn't streamed anywhere - at least nowhere I can find. Espeically since I have a week off.

Gotta say, I love the dusky blue. Tinkoff has a nice kit this year.

There's nothing on tv at all? Man that sucks, I am quite surprised with how thin he is in February it's all in this year by the looks of things. Tomorrow should be an indicator of where he is form wise. I think he'll easily gap second place by 15 seconds.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto says he did a recon of tomorrow's final yesterday, and although it is difficult he expects the favorites for the GC to finish together. Although I suppose that may mean he will win by 1 minute. :p

Exactly, that's the bla bla bla you want.

Let's not get influenced by modern Western considerations. How many times have I heard "I'm starving to death?" Nobody in the West has the right to say that, with Africa.

The idea is to get the most out of weight to power ratio. Modern pro cyclists are finding the absolute balance. Leonardo da Vinci, though, was already aware of the weight to fitness ratio in the Quattrocento, so it's nothing new. We just have to eat less.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
That was bad. But I think it's time to accept the fact that he's 33 now, and probably need some time to get into race rhythm.
I guess a lot of the riders ahead of him already started their season in january? And how was the climb today, a fast one?

Re:

rm7 said:
That was bad. But I think it's time to accept the fact that he's 33 now, and probably need some time to get into race rhythm.
I guess a lot of the riders ahead of him already started their season in january? And how was the climb today, a fast one?
That's just ***. Keep telling yourself he just needs racing rhythm, will get better etc. but we know that's not true.

TRENDING THREADS