• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
In the last 2-3 year people have been talking about his weight all the time. How do you think he looks compared to 2014 and 2015?

Of course in 2014 Tour he was very lean, and last year he was a bit "fatter". I don't have a clue when I try to compare pictures of peoples bodies.

Re:

rm7 said:
In the last 2-3 year people have been talking about his weight all the time. How do you think he looks compared to 2014 and 2015?

Of course in 2014 Tour he was very lean, and last year he was a bit "fatter". I don't have a clue when I try to compare pictures of peoples bodies.
Thin is thin. Judge it by yourself weight wise. I'm very small but can still lose half a stone in a few months..not starting from a Pro body weight obviously

It is well known that Sky has implemented unorthodox means (wait, I'm not referring to the Clinic here) to achieve its results, starting with the apparantly silly warm-down on the bike, but diet and body fat content have also been among its agenda. There's been talk of Froome following a "top secret" ketogenic (no carbs) diet, to arrive at the extremely low fat percentage for maximizing his power to weight ration on the ascents. Apparent confirmation of this has been Nibali experimenting with a ketogenic diet this past off-season, as he admitted to la Gazzetta dello Sport. Cycling is jealous sport: once it is known that someone is doing something and winning, sooner or later they all start doing it (starting with the silly warm-downs after the races).

Don't have any idea if Contador made a similar move, but he definitely has a lower fat content than this time last year and perhaps all of last year.

The ketogenic diet can only be followed for relatively brief periods, but it may well be becoming the new fad in the uber-scientific quest for obtaining maximum human capacity. Of course, other methods are being used too.

Re:

rm7 said:

Last year the idea was to go in the Giro with a bit more weight on, but contrary to the plan he didn't lose all of it throughout the Giro and toward the Tour.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
rm7 said:

Last year the idea was to go in the Giro with a bit more weight on, but contrary to the plan he didn't lose all of it throughout the Giro and toward the Tour.
Yep. He definitely looks leaner now.

LaFlorecita said:
Matteo. said:
An attack in the last metres tomorrow? Like his first stage win in Tirreno 14? :D
The last half a km or so is flat/downhill. I bet on 2 km to go and he takes the stage 8s ahead of Aru and Richie :)

Maybe not really that :p but a '' stretch '' to test his rivals I too I expect. I agree on Aru: for me is the favorite to win tomorrow in a sprint

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

BlurryVII said:
Here we go for Catalunya, I'd like to think and believe he'll just dominate Port Ainé and win the damn race but I feel like as usual some **** will happen. Stage cancelled or he won't have recovered from PN cold or whatever and he'll do meh. That's how it goes nowadays.

I reckon he HAS to win this and Pais vasco to show his form and that he's doing good so far this season. Even though he did amazing in PN under terrible circumstances, he still didn't win the **** race.

Spoiled :p ;)

Competing and making the race is way more interesting then just winning it. Winning is just winning ;)

Apr 26, 2010
be.net

Arredondo said:
BlurryVII said:
Here we go for Catalunya, I'd like to think and believe he'll just dominate Port Ainé and win the damn race but I feel like as usual some **** will happen. Stage cancelled or he won't have recovered from PN cold or whatever and he'll do meh. That's how it goes nowadays.

I reckon he HAS to win this and Pais vasco to show his form and that he's doing good so far this season. Even though he did amazing in PN under terrible circumstances, he still didn't win the **** race.

Spoiled :p ;)

Competing and making the race is way more interesting then just winning it. Winning is just winning ;)

...and winning is for losers! :D

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
There might not be a stage 4 so he has to show himself tomorrow…

And for Alberto, it should be about winning not about entertainment. He's getting paid to win not to entertain. Sure, he likes to put on a show for the fans, but it's fair to say there are some fans who prefer for him to win rather than just entertain. But no doubt, If he puts on a show on his way to victory, even better.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I hope he stamps his authority already tomorrow in case Port Ainé gets cancelled (I don't think it will be cancelled) but it will be difficult on such a climb. Anyway he seems in good shape and he says he feels strong and his cold is not bothering him anymore.

I'm hoping for good things tomorrow. I wonder if Froome will do his normal thing early season, get dropped then somehow claws it back then attacks ? Anyway let's hope Contador is strong, if he can win this race it's a big psychological advantage

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
That depends how he wins it, if he does it.

I remeber last year, i think it was in the rout de sud, when contador win the race, and i watch all climb and Quintana was just fine, and let it run... I think it would be important if he can drop Froome if Froome is there to win, and i think he is. Tomorrow we will see the firsts points, in little details we can see how a cyclist is.

I hope Contador is fine, but the important is to be there, up the front, win it or not. If he is dropped by Froome, that is not good. I´m looking foward to tomorrow stage to see if the pistolero can give me another hapyness. :)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well now there's a rumor that Port Ainé might be cancelled, so Contador will most likely go for it tomorrow anyways. He really can do it, the only one could beat him for bonifs if it comes down to the last K is Purito and I don't think he is in any kind of good form right now. If he takes the jersey, race is wrapped up. Let's hope.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sacrifice&hardwork said:
There might not be a stage 4 so he has to show himself tomorrow…

And for Alberto, it should be about winning not about entertainment. He's getting paid to win not to entertain. Sure, he likes to put on a show for the fans, but it's fair to say there are some fans who prefer for him to win rather than just entertain. But no doubt, If he puts on a show on his way to victory, even better.

For once, i hope he shows up swinging and win something. He got beaten by sky lieutenant, a classic rider twice already. (whatever the circumstances was). But to get beaten again by sky on this race.. ffffhhh, that's gonna be hard to swallow.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
Well now there's a rumor that Port Ainé might be cancelled, so Contador will most likely go for it tomorrow anyways. He really can do it, the only one could beat him for bonifs if it comes down to the last K is Purito and I don't think he is in any kind of good form right now. If he takes the jersey, race is wrapped up. Let's hope.

Where did you see the rumour?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Poursuivant said:
BlurryVII said:

Where did you see the rumour?

https://twitter.com/EntreCunetas/status/712323110201122819

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Looked really good once again today, left Froome and Quintana behind easily. But once again, someone else had to be better. If tomorrow is cancelled, that's GG to Martin for the overall and to this shitty MTF.

TRENDING THREADS