• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1402 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Brullnux said:
Contador on a Bianchi please...

Just hoping that another team that isn't Lotto Jumbo gets Bianchi for 2017
I've heard rumours (probably just bs) that Astana could get Bianchi bikes, so he could always return to Astana. :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
Miburo said:
Before all that though he needs to destroy quintana in the tour, god i dislike that rider not because he wins against Contador hell i like froome and he destroyed contador way more than him. He only won twice vs him in a real duel but man the way he rides...

I hope for the future of cycling that Aru gets a big power-up.

Froome has never destroyed a fit and healthy Bertie. In fact when they have been about equal form 2014 it was bertie who destroyed Froome . Get your facts right Jack

No excuses in 2013.

Nice facts man xD

Scarponi said:
Miburo said:
Before all that though he needs to destroy quintana in the tour, god i dislike that rider not because he wins against Contador hell i like froome and he destroyed contador way more than him. He only won twice vs him in a real duel but man the way he rides...

I do sometimes feel that way with Quintana but he does attack a lot. I think it's a very Andy shleck feeling, those two could be epic if they attached but they withhold

Quintana doesn't wanna risk it all to win, being such a talent, it's sad. At least schleck had that mentality

Mayomaniac said:
Brullnux said:
Contador on a Bianchi please...

Just hoping that another team that isn't Lotto Jumbo gets Bianchi for 2017
I've heard rumours (probably just bs) that Astana could get Bianchi bikes, so he could always return to Astana. :D

Yes, to Astana and Vinokourov makes a comeback. Then LA and Bruynnel say loud that Hans didn't have a clue and make comeback too - in Astana. Then Bertie wins TdF for the 5th time thanks to attacking in the times when Johann shouts "Albeeerto, don't attack, don't attack."

Thanks, not Astana please, better Sky.

Miburo said:
ray j willings said:
Miburo said:

Froome has never destroyed a fit and healthy Bertie. In fact when they have been about equal form 2014 it was bertie who destroyed Froome . Get your facts right Jack

No excuses in 2013.

Nice facts man xD

Scarponi said:
Miburo said:

I do sometimes feel that way with Quintana but he does attack a lot. I think it's a very Andy shleck feeling, those two could be epic if they attached but they withhold

Quintana doesn't wanna risk it all to win, being such a talent, it's sad. At least schleck had that mentality

Andy did it once that I can recall in a grand tour over the course of his career. Quintana is still young but not that that really matters. It's really easy to say that riders should risk it all with some suicide attack when the reality is they don't always have the latitude do go on these epic journeys seeking dramatic success. The directors I would guess have plan that the riders are expected to follow. To deviate from that plan with the extremely high risk of failing in a spectacular fashion likely won't go over too swell with the management and sponsors. If it's camera time for the sponsors that they need, they can quite easily send out someone of lesser value to the team's gc ambitions.

Their ultimate goal was to have two guys in the podium. If Quintana attacked earlier in the Tour, Valverde would probably slip out of the third place. That's why the little one attacked only in the last mountain stage.
Or at least that's my interpretation regarding what I remember from last year's Tour, which was *** boring... like all of them have been since 2011 (not included).

ray j willings said:
Miburo said:

actually, just outclimbed by about 50 sec - 1 minute. bertie destroyed froome in the 2012 vuelta, but not in the 2014

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Miburo said:
ray j willings said:
Miburo said:

No excuses in 2013.

Nice facts man xD

Scarponi said:
Miburo said:

Omg here we go again...
...let this *** be in Nairo's thread (or better not)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
It's hard facing the truth sometimes.

4 more weeks for that beast prologue in the dauphine, can't wait

If he's where he should be at, he'll take the yellow day 1.

If it was a stage with a MTF, I don't think he'd necessarily win due to the 8 weeks break but he's just the fastest climber on MTTs.

BlurryVII said:
Miburo said:

If he's where he should be at, he'll take the yellow day 1.

If it was a stage with a MTF, I don't think he'd necessarily win due to the 8 weeks break but he's just the fastest climber on MTTs.
so you drop your notorious theory of froome having en enourmous edge due to racing romandie as bertie will 100% beat him in the prologue? ;)

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Miburo said:

Remember it doesnt count if He doesnt assume His ultimate peak form.

LOL it's so true. I am a big AC fan and really hope he can win the Tour this year. But to his diehard fans on this forum, unless Contador is in the absolute form of his life none of his results and losses to Froome count.

2013 season and losses to Froome? Doesn't count!
Froome easily beating him in the 2014 Dauphine prologue? No Contador was better because we say so!
Froome winning the next day MTF in the 2014 Dauphine with Contador 2nd and hanging on for dear life? No, we don't care, Contador was still better!
Froome beating Contador in Andalusia in 2015? No we don't count that because he was going for the Giro or something.

Then they keep going on about the 2014 Vuelta being the only fair comparison, not understanding Froome had been injured and was using it to get a Grand Tour in his legs for the next year. Flo is the worst at doing that.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Let's not generalise man, that ain't nice. It's mostly fleur and blurr (i like to call them "fleur and her gang") who have that narrative. and they're very vocal on it so i get your point

But there are very reasonable contador fans who rate froome very highly and admit he beat Contador many times without making any excuses.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
There were no excuses for 2013, he said before the tour he had his best numbers.

Or you think he lied which you btw were mad at me many times cause i called him a liar so finally you agree with me or maybe just stop to find excuses.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
odd things continue.........

dawgbots keep coming to AC's thread...........

there is only one true GT rider in the current peloton: Contador

the rest are yet to prove themselves. they can all compete, even accidentally win a few GTs. But, they are all still worms in coccoons

Re:

murali said:
odd things continue.........

dawgbots keep coming to AC's thread...........

there is only one true GT rider in the current peloton: Contador

the rest are yet to prove themselves. they can all compete, even accidentally win a few GTs. But, they are all still worms in coccoons
very well-written objective post, chapeau.

well on a serious note, sects always make people blind.

how many gts did you accidently win to be entitled to say about other riders in such a derogatory manner? :confused:

blackmamba said:
buchanan said:
Also wanted to say that some of Contador's fans here give the impression (and in fact have even said it) that the ONLY race that they were both in top shape was the 2014 Vuelta. I think that's total nonsense. I don't think Froome was in top shape there.
Neither was Contador but its the closest they been eachother conditions wice in a GT god how hard is it to understand ? :rolleyes:
Isn't getting into top shape part of the battle?

May 26, 2015
Visit site

The Hitch said:
blackmamba said:
buchanan said:
Also wanted to say that some of Contador's fans here give the impression (and in fact have even said it) that the ONLY race that they were both in top shape was the 2014 Vuelta. I think that's total nonsense. I don't think Froome was in top shape there.
Neither was Contador but its the closest they been eachother conditions wice in a GT god how hard is it to understand ? :rolleyes:

How many times does this need to be said for some of you to understand something that simple?

When you ride the giro its impossible to get into top peak condition for the TDF :rolleyes:

After a while im no longer surprise that some of them believe the things they do. They just have no knowledge, so atleast it all makes more sense in terms of why they believe some of the things they do :D :D

blackmamba said:
The Hitch said:
blackmamba said:
buchanan said:

How many times does this need to be said for some of you to understand something that simple?

When you ride the giro its impossible to get into top peak condition for the TDF :rolleyes:

Last year before the giro, all I saw here were wet dreams about Contador doing the double. Some even suggested the treble.

Here is what I had to say

The Hitch said:
I have no idea what Contador is doing riding this. Unless his rivals all crash out and saxo neutralizes every stage he won't even make it to the TDF startline.

So please in the future don't patronizingly lecture me about the difficulties of doing the Giro Tour double.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I was completely against the idea of him doing the double last year. I knew it'd just wrongly reinforce the idea that he doesn't do well in the Tour anymore even if the Giro is the reason for that.

But he stated that he wanted another challenge to motivate him and just didn't want to copy paste his 2014 season probably unwilling to put everything on one race after what happened. Such a shame. Hope this year, he finally takes care of that unfinished Tour business as Rogers would say.

May 26, 2015
Visit site

The Hitch said:
blackmamba said:
The Hitch said:
blackmamba said:
buchanan said:

Last year before the giro, all I saw here were wet dreams about Contador doing the double. Some even suggested the treble.

Here is what I had to say

The Hitch said:
I have no idea what Contador is doing riding this. Unless his rivals all crash out and saxo neutralizes every stage he won't even make it to the TDF startline.

So please in the future don't patronizingly lecture me about the difficulties of doing the Giro Tour double.

Who are you to decide if he should try on the giro - tour double or not? Its not your career.

However I agree it was a ambitious move and all that and neither did I think it was doable by any chance at all,but who cant really blame him for wanting to try it, he had to try it out to know if he was able to do it or not was his own words himself and honestly noone can blame him for trying it, if anything one should celebrate and respect such a brave move regardless of whom you support atleast thats what I think as a cycling fan to bad ''fanboys'' cant see things for what it is and have to act like baboons and say things which make literally no sense at all.

TRENDING THREADS